Too many fatalities this year already

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Too many fatalities this year already

#1 Unread post by Skier »

In Washington, we've had maybe 40 or 50 days of riding where there's no snow or the temperature is above 50 degrees F. So far, there's been at least 16 fatal motorcycle accidents. :(

A lot of motorcycles aren't even out of garages or the shops for spring tuneups.

The influx of new, young riders on sports bikes are proving to be an incredibly deadly combination this year. :cry:

I hope new riders get the training they need and use their noggins, it's a harsh world out there.

Is anyone else seeing a marked increase of accidents this season?
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#2 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I haven't noticed a marked increase in the number of biker fatalities. There was 1 fatality in my home town of Rahway, though.

Rahway Fatality

It was a little disturbing to me as :
1) A number of people left comments that he was a safe rider - but of course we don't have a standard for what a safe rider is...
2) He was close to my age (I'm 37 and he was 41)
3) Of course as I mentioned above - it is in the town I live in.

Searching for the number of motorcycle fatalities on Rahway over time I couldn't find anything, but I did locate this word document that was mildly interesting.

NJ Doc

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#3 Unread post by RockBottom »

I don't know about an increase but I got a little shiver this evening as I went through an intersection that I cross several times a week since a biker was killed there on Sunday. He was rear ended by a teenager while turning. I'll bet my house she was on her cell phone.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#4 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I think there definitely is an increase in fatalaties where in live in AZ but I don't know if it's because I ride now and I pay more attention to it. I try not to let it bother me but sometimes I do wonder to myself, is today the day I don't make it home? It could happen to any of us just like that. The only driver we can really control is ourselves. I feel bad when any of my brothers dies or gets hurt out there on the street but the senseless ones caused by sheer stupidity are the worst. Stay vigilant my friends 8)

king robb
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by king robb »

If you ride regular and long term...odds are you are gonna die while riding. Accept that, just as you once accepted you will eventually die. After you have done that, go back to enjoying the wind the sun and the road.
2 wheels on the ground

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by Scott58 »

You can't dwell on it. Society is getting stupider as a whole and there's more of us now. I've been riding since 1975 pretty much all year round and there is no comparison between then and now. Roads you use to see maybe 1 other vehicle in an hour are now bumper to bumper. The cell phone issue, no discipline in schools.... the list goes on and it's a recipe for disaster. Not just with us, but every aspect of our lives. I look at it this way. If i survive more power to me. If I don't, at least i don't have to watch the eventual collapse of a country I served. What a waste of time that turned out to be.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

I dunno... In Colorado Springs we've had 10 bikers die so far this year...
1 was trying to outrun the cops
3 were fully geared
7 were not fully geared
7 were killed by getting hit by other vehicles
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#8 Unread post by XB08 »

I had a friend killed in Rahway years back. he was at the light ar 1&9 by the old Mcdonels and was rear ended. By a drunk driver. It happens no matter where you live or how safe you are. but when I read that someone when they lost control of the motorcycle, frist thing I think is new rider in a sportbike.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#9 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

XB08 wrote:I had a friend killed in Rahway years back. he was at the light ar 1&9 by the old Mcdonels and was rear ended. By a drunk driver. It happens no matter where you live or how safe you are. but when I read that someone when they lost control of the motorcycle, frist thing I think is new rider in a sportbike.
1&9 certainly aren't far from where I live, but fortunately I'm rarely on that roadway. I've seen a drunk drive on 27 in my car. Cut across a red light by going at highway speed through one parking lot and in to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer parking lot bouncing up and down the whole way. Really freaky and I was glad i was in a car. If they'd impacted the back of my car it probably wouldn't have helped us much anyway.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

demon_racer23
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by demon_racer23 »

Thats the only downside to more people riding is more people getting hurt or killed due to improper training or careless cagers.
My favorite bike sites!
www.motorcycle-usa.com
www.compacc.com
www.helmetexpress.com
www.tireexpress.com