Too many fatalities this year already

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#11 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I did neglect to mention that a pedestrian died in Linden right next door to me over in Rahway as well. So, as always (tongue in cheek) be careful walking out there...

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#12 Unread post by BuzZz »

When your number is up, it is up and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

I always figured if mine comes up while I'm on a bike, that's an acceptable way to go. Or sandwiched in between a blonde, a redhead and 2 asian women..... either one of those ways works just fine for me.

But that don't mean I don't wear my gear, watch for morons on the road or wrap it up..... I ain't in that big a hurry to go. :twisted:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#13 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

BuzZz wrote:When your number is up, it is up and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

I always figured if mine comes up while I'm on a bike, that's an acceptable way to go. Or sandwiched in between a blonde, a redhead and 2 asian women..... either one of those ways works just fine for me.

But that don't mean I don't wear my gear, watch for morons on the road or wrap it up..... I ain't in that big a hurry to go. :twisted:
Hmmm option #2... Perfect.

RhadamYgg

Skier

#14 Unread post by Skier »

I'm not really worried about riders more than usual this season, but it seems we've put a lot of the usual amount of fatalities in the beginning of the year. A bit depressing.

A nice 50 mile ride after work today before the rain did wonders to uplift my spirits, though.

The riders wadding up their bikes on the local forum makes me want to shove them headfirst into some riding classes, though. :frusty:

Ah well.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#15 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Another issue is newer riders, riding with more experienced riders are trying to keep up and find themselves in unfamiliar territory. Go your own speed and comfort zone and stop worrying about that your buddies think your a "wimp" :ermm:

mazer
Elite
Elite

#16 Unread post by mazer »

Yes fatalities are up there are a number of reasons for this, one is that there are younger, less experienced bikers on the road and there are many returning older bikers on the road who just dont have the mileage under their belts but want the saving of riding a motorcycle instead of the expense of riding a car. ALSO, many of these new riders are getting on bikes that arefar more powerful than ever before, and many more risks are being taken as a result. Plus as long as lane splitting is allowed (is being abused) we are going to see more and more accidents.
Riding motorcycles is inherently dangerous, throw into the mix young riders on machines that can top a couple hundred miles an hour and are affordable - you will get increased deaths.

cycleman3763
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by cycleman3763 »

it's the cell phone issue. it needs to be enforced where it's illegal and made illegal everywhere! you should not be allowed to talk on your phone and drive unless you are hands free! I see it allllll the time.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#18 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

cycleman3763 wrote:it's the cell phone issue. it needs to be enforced where it's illegal and made illegal everywhere! you should not be allowed to talk on your phone and drive unless you are hands free! I see it allllll the time.
There are some bumper stickers I like out there
"Just Drive"
I don't care for any cell phone use while driving cars. Very valuable studies have come out that hands free or not - increases the risks of accidents/fatalities.

I've pretty much stopped using mine unless I'm running late to work and need to notify them so they don't worry.

RhadamYgg

Skier

#19 Unread post by Skier »

Helping to prevent rider fatalities, my friend dropped me a line today and informed me he's in the process of becoming an instructor in my rider training program's sister program. :clapping:
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

mazer
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by mazer »

congrats to your sis and your friend...practice, practice, practice makes us all better riders.