The Daily Grind

aw58
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 1997 kawasaki vn1500 d2 classic

#131 Unread post by aw58 »

I'm ok.

The VN has nigh on 60k clocked up and I am worn a little. It's the bloody rain I can't stand. 4hrs in the saddle in cold I can just about live with.. but wet... hell no.

Still I've been contracted for another six months by South Hook (Qatar Gas/Exxonmobil/Total) bless them and will endure the travelling, God willing.

Will post some photos soon. VN needs new steering head bearings/ clutch/ ideally new pipes and have an issue starting - could be the switch on the bars - looking at tomorrow. Weather has been down to minus 2 -the grass is stiff and hard... unfortuneatly that is the only thing that is in this weather.

Best wishes for the new year speak soon... sorry been absent - 4hrs riding - 9hrs at work doesn't leave a lot of time to do much else.

Best wishes
Ade
If you can see the tops of the mountain's it's going to rain.
If you can't - it's raining.
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental
And don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

aw58

#132 Unread post by aw58 »

It was a bug's life during the summer.

how about an ecologically friendly v twin (not)

Saab got written off for a bonnet

with nigh on 60k on at -2 and the newer saab in the background.

Ade
All Characters and events here are allegedly fictitious...Any resemblance with either dead or living is purely co-incidental

aw58

#133 Unread post by aw58 »

I am still here – just. The time I spend on the road and in work does not give me a lot of time to write.
The winter has gone, riding in rain, hail, snow and fog. Just as the weather begun to break, a mishap with the RAC and the SAAB ends up with me having a hire car for 3 weeks.
As a result I don’t run the VN during March. Hire cars returned and the VN goes in for a new back tyre (only 9000 out of this one – A roads) and the brakes to be serviced. Front calliper seized. Buy a pattern (£143) only to find need a new disc as well as warped. New disc managed to get for £66 (pattern). Between the car and the VN I have just kissed goodbye to some serious cash.
Easter Sunday – need potatoes for roasties. Run out to get some and find everywhere is closed. Stop the VN to phone home. Will not restart. RAC attend –no spark at plug (I remove plug and manage to cross thread the left hand plug on the rear pot). Am taken home and off the road again.
Order a thread chaser to sort damaged thread out (£35). Tool arrives and I open packet only to drop the insert which breaks on the tiled floor. Yes you can laugh – everyone else has. Manage to repair the insert and clean the thread on the port. A chance remark in Garlands in Haverfordwest prompts me to check all the connections on the loom. Almost all are green and the terminal block on the junction box is completely screwed. I photograph the wire combinations and strip the block and fix new terminals.
Almost 10 weeks off the road and I am once again mobile. It’s May and the Sun is shining, I think I could like this weather. Tuesday and as I approach Milford Haven every several hundred yards is a policeman or two. Security in the area is high as the official opening of our site is to take place (Royal Visit). I am acutely aware that the Vance and Hines are getting louder.
I have 2 days of good weather and once more the rain sets in.
Cross the Briton Ferry Bridge wind blowing hard and the VN wallows. Just prior to Llanelli I chance upon a motorcyclist ahead of me... as i begin to pass I spot his colours –Welsh Coast- the last time I was behind them was the late 70’s (joining in ’76). I thunder past and wave. I ease back (Nostalga?). He sits behind at around a qtr mile not gaining despite my drop in speed. By Nant y caws I note his indicator to pull off and raise my hand in a farewell gesture opening up the VN once more. I filter through the traffic in Carmarthen and power on toward St Cleers (little passes). Drizzle from Pengawse on (the next 25 miles). I peer over the shield and wipe the rain from my aviators. As I pass through Robeston Wathen a car edges out across the road to drop in behind as I pass – I hate that as I am unsure if the driver has seen me or not (despite being a large object a noisy one).
Homeward and hold off a VW as the VN holds the 00 – not bad for an old motorcycle. The mirror on my right no longer stays in position and holding high speeds am able to view the side of my helmet.
This has its down sides as I begin to pull out to overtake around Maesybont, but a 6th sense tells me to look over my shoulder. A pick up thunders past at around a ton. I flinch and the VN lurches back into lane (need to get a new mirror – can’t rely on the nearside to view the offside).
As May Marches on I manage fueling up (near home) to Robeston Wathen (63 miles) in 50 minutes ( 75.6 mph is the average- not bad for motorways and A roads) and the home run is managed in 90 minutes ( around 84 miles).
The sunny weather is great – soft tops. The occupants get to enjoy digital surround sound of the VN at no extra charge. As I gain on an Audi soft top the female of the species in the rear turns around and we hold eye contact as I gain and begin to pass. I also keep one eye on the road. Now that can only mean that I must look like Ben Turpin – no wonder she was looking back at me.
Thursday, 4th June 2009. Hit the start button, a loud click, and all the lights around the speedo go out. The week end looks like hunt the short.... let you know the outcome.

Ade

aw58

#134 Unread post by aw58 »

Did you guess the last song – female of the species – by Space.
Looking over videos of the past rides I have uploaded the most recent see link.
I look at the VN and my thought is let’s start today. Will let you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJh9D3QFOFY

aw58

#135 Unread post by aw58 »

Sat 6th June
Didn’t start today. (Let’s start today – fall out boy- (from last entry - anyone guess it))

Sun 7th
Found the fault – battery corrosion. Cleaned up the terminals and the VN fired back up.

Mon 8th

Overcast. Travelling down M4 and black Mercedes pulls out in front forcing me to ease up. Follow as I travel westwards. Reach the end of the M4 and power through roundabout around 45-50. Van with Heddlu parked on side. No sign of them following and power up toward Cross Hands. Pass the black Merc. On toward Carmarthen and the Merc thunders past. As I reach Carmarthen I pass the Merc stuck in traffic as I filter through. The VN is doing well.
The homeward journey and I find myself behind 2 HD’s and sit on their tails for 4 or 5 miles until St Clears and open up past in the roundabout. Capture them on film and will edit later.

Tues 9th June.

Sunny day and the VN is motoring. I ride with more passion than I did when I wore a younger man’s clothes. My 84 mile run home is clocked in 1 hr 25mins

12th June

Happy Birthday to me.. 51.
Will fill you in later.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#136 Unread post by Wrider »

Happy Birthday! Glad you're still around and riding hard!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

aw58

#137 Unread post by aw58 »

Thanks Wrider
Previously did anyone get it – “when I wore a younger man’s clothes”- Piano Man - Billy Joel.

12th June
I am holding a steady 70 but as I am passed on the left by a Ford the VN refuses to be restrained and picks up the pace once more. The weather is picking to rain.. Reach Carmarthen and filter through the traffic. Mobile home hinders me a little, but with VN moves through traffic like a Jelly (all wobbly).
I think it was a Yamaha behind me and on the road to St Clears passes with a high whine as I hold the VN at the big 8 with a note that could be compared to the trumpets of the Heavenly Host.
Just outside Haverfordwest, I’m passed by a lone chopped HD.

The homeward journey spits rain most of the way. Major filter job from Briton Ferry Bridge to Port Talbot as everyone slows to view the carnage of an accident on the other carriageway. The VN moves through dodging fronts and rears alike
Sunday - Oil change today. Broke my oil filter remover (chain type) and the filter remains crushed but unmoved. Screwdriver, hammer and brute force complete the job, slice open my finger in the process whilst turning the remains of the filter, but the VN - “I'll care for through the Rough and rainy years.”
3 Australians (father, son and daughter in law) stay next door (B &B) whilst touring UK on Yamahas, bought whilst here. Chat for a while whilst I work on the VN laying on my back in the gutter, prior to completing the oil and filter change.

aw58

#138 Unread post by aw58 »

“I'll care for through the Rough and rainy years.”
Charles Aznavous – She
I hope you got that one.

The day starts out sunny, but by the time I reach Nantycaws the rain is moving in. Filter in the usual places and move on toward St. Clears. The infiltration of mankind by aliens (copulating Uranians) continues as one in disguise drives a Honda CR V, indicating to pull in to the left encouraging me to pass only to pull back out again. We must all be vigilant against the Uranians who drive on our roads.
Boots begin to leak as I am in the slip stream and spray of a Land Rover, but pass quickly as I power up alongside Pengawse Hill.
Sun returns a few miles on. I arrive in work “I’m sorry I’m a little late you know the stripes of a tiger are hard to change”
Later in the week decide to take the run home on the Pembroke Rd via Tenby. Nice single winding road – unfortunately quite congested and don’t get to enjoy an open road, but a change.
The VN is running well, moves up the box quickly and holds between the 80 and 95 quite well. Fuel is down to 37 mpg at the higher speeds (and that’s Imperial Gallons).
Jag ahead of me. As I am about to pass it begins to pull out – the vn’s horn squeaks and I mean squeaks. The Jag pulls back in and a hand rises in apology. What concerns me is the driver heard the squeak but failed to hear the roar of the motor.
Have been having good weather and made the most of it.
My latest run home on the A477 has taken me through Red Roses and then a beautiful downward covered run hugging lovely curves finally arriving at the base, surrounded by moist bush. I am then back out into the open sunshine and the memory is burnt away.
The only issue with travelling at reasonable speed is other drivers assessment of how far away you are. This is of course coupled with I'm in something bigger than you.

aw58

#139 Unread post by aw58 »

Lateness is my middle name. “I'm sorry I'm a little late You know the stripes of a tiger are hard to change” The Noisettes –never forget you.

The days following on are quite monotonous. The same journey, the same grind. Scowled at by a teenager in the back of a Mercedes. The Vance and Hines as I pass will give you something to scowl about. Have begun to give the VN some TLC by treating the rust on the front spokes and painting them in zinc primer. The frame is slowing being repainted black.
I wish I had the time to write more frequently. The journey is taking its toll (tiredness kills).
Travelling back at Carmarthen I am ahead of 3 sports bikes, as they pass in excess of 80 I raise my hand as a wave and am ignored. Well that really does p me off. The VN bursts into life and I pass one, two and finally three. I ease back as I approach Cross Hands roundabout but one of the sports bikes doesn’t. He clears the roundabout just ahead of the Land Rover. I pass him a few hundred yards further on – he’s slowed down, either waiting for his comrades, or because the adrenalin is beginning to smell. None of the 3 follows me any further/closer.

passed

passing

The days have continued and the temperature has dropped, “I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes”. It is also getting wetter.
Absolutely peeing down today.

Waterproofs aren’t. Journey home I have a Passat on my tail for 50 miles and I am able to keep a reasonable space here and there. As I lean the VN around Pont Abraham, start of the M4, I’m doing between 45 and 50 and the VN is as low as I’ve had her – my boot is on the tarmac. A little scuff on the sole – fortunately not the Soul.
Shoulder is hurting as the anaesthetic is wearing off and the cortisone injection from Monday is beginning to kick in. Have been in pain with the shoulder since Feb – await a scan.
VN is booked in for the steering head bearings to be done – Martin at Thunder Road tells me not to tell the guys the VN is due in as they’ll not turn in for work – obviously don’t like working on her.

aw58

#140 Unread post by aw58 »

“I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes”. Love is all around - the Troggs
Bet you thought Wet, Wet, Wet.

Well, Wet, Wet, Wet is what it has been last week and this, although 24th July was dryish, and I found myself riding against a Ducati (848 I believe). Rider and female pillion – always remember “thou shalt not bonk your neighbour’s wife”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKkvHIBj_3U

My boots are damp and so am I. At 80 plus it,s blooming tough when you can hardly see for the rain. The only time I see as much water is when I look at the sea. My wife needed the car today and apologised as I set off in the rain. As I moved my foot forward and pointing upwards to brake the water in my boot runs down from the toe into the heel. The VN misses a beat with the amount of water surrounding it. End of July! More like End of Days!

I get a message from Security a lorry driver is interested in the VN if I wish to sell. Phone the fellow and will think about it – once I’ve seen what is available (in the VN market that is). Journey Home is reasonable hold up a good rate (85 over BF bridge in heavy winds).
Wonder if it will be dry tomorrow.