Do you think riding at night or day is safer?

Is it safer to ride at night, or day

Poll ended at Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Day, because more sunlight.
62%
Night, other drivers can see you Better
21%
I could care less, both are dangerous. oh, and i'm chuck norris, so i'm invincible
17%

Total votes: 29

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

When leaning into a curve, the beam of your headlight points away from the curve, which can be pretty freaky if the road is poorly lit.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#12 Unread post by ofblong »

Grey Thumper wrote:When leaning into a curve, the beam of your headlight points away from the curve, which can be pretty freaky if the road is poorly lit.
uhh mine dont. maybe you need to get them properly adjusted???
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#13 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

ofblong wrote:
Grey Thumper wrote:When leaning into a curve, the beam of your headlight points away from the curve, which can be pretty freaky if the road is poorly lit.
Not a bad suggestion, I'll doublecheck. Although the problem seems inherent to bike design. Correct me if I'm getting this wrong (or if it doesn't happen to all bikes; I'm pretty new at this) . . .

Going straight ahead, your lights point in the same direction as the bike and slightly downward, just like a car. However, when a car turns a corner, its lights still point in the same direction as the car, and possibly even slightly in the direction of the curve (if the car rolls outward).

On a bike, the opposite happens. On a right curve for instance, you countersteer left to lean right, into the curve. This makes the headlight point slightly left, and the downward direction of the beam, combined with the bikes rightward lean, makes the beam point even more leftward, exactly where you don't want it to go.

The problem isn't as bad when my lights are on high beam (since the beam points less downward than on low beam), but it's still there, frustratingly.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#14 Unread post by Skier »

ofblong wrote:
Take a 90 degree corner at 25 MPH. Your headlight's focal point is always lagging behind the important piece of tarmac you are heading to.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#15 Unread post by ofblong »

Skier wrote:
ofblong wrote:
Take a 90 degree corner at 25 MPH. Your headlight's focal point is always lagging behind the important piece of tarmac you are heading to.
he said a curve not a corner. Big difference. even my mini van has that problem on a 90 degree corner.

Skier

#16 Unread post by Skier »

ofblong wrote:
Skier wrote:
ofblong wrote:
he said a curve not a corner. Big difference. even my mini van has that problem on a 90 degree corner.
Actually there is no difference between a curve and a corner.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#17 Unread post by ofblong »

Skier wrote:
ofblong wrote:
Skier wrote:
ofblong wrote:
Actually there is no difference between a curve and a corner.
dunno what world you live in but a 35 degree curve is nothing like a right/left hand turn onto another road by use of a 90 degree turn.

Skier

#18 Unread post by Skier »

A curve and a corner define the same thing: part of the path that is not straight.

A 35 degree twist is a corner and a curve.
A 90 degree twist is a corner and a curve.

Pretty simple.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#19 Unread post by Johnj »

Geometry jokes...your killing me. :laughing:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Greg .
Veteran
Veteran

#20 Unread post by Greg . »

I agree with the folks who are concerned about the deer. They're bad here at night and we watch out for them no mater what we're driving. Heck .. .the dumb arses actually WAIT for you to get closer before they jump out in front of you.