Custom top case

redb1ker
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by redb1ker »

Did you install the top box easy to remove (like the Givi)? I did see you mention that you used a bread board for mounting. I am to a point (with a new motorcycle) that I want to put some inexpensive luggage on it. I kind of want the top box to be easy to remove. I really do like the way your install came out.
Jay T.
www.ridesafe.today.com

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#12 Unread post by mgdavis »

No, I didn't take the time to figure out any kind of quick-release system. It isn't all that hard to remove, but it does take a few minutes to unbolt everything.

I used the cutting board between the box and the rack to give the bottom of the box a bit more support. The sequence of hardware is: Bolt, fender washer, box, cutting board, rack, nylock nut.

I used five pre-existing holes in my rack to bolt down the assembly. I'm not sure what you ride, but it would be a more difficult install if you don't have a rack in back.

Later today I'll take a couple more pictures to illustrate the system better.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

demon_racer23
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by demon_racer23 »

The sequence of hardware is: Bolt, fender washer, box, cutting board, rack, nylock nut.
Shouldn't duct tape be in that formula somewhere? :laughing:

Just kidding. Red Green would approve
My favorite bike sites!
www.motorcycle-usa.com
www.compacc.com
www.helmetexpress.com
www.tireexpress.com

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#14 Unread post by mgdavis »

You were saying about the duct tape? :P I use it to cover the holes that let me access the bolts that hold the rack on.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

mbrudolph
Rookie
Rookie

Use A BEACH BALL

#15 Unread post by mbrudolph »

I came up with this idea years ago and it works great.

Get a medium or small size BEACH BALL and inflate it to the appropriate size to fill in the empty space in the top box or side bags. It does a good job of securing almost anything. Good for around town and long trips as well. You can carry them with you all the time, they don't take up any room when deflated.

TorontoBoy
Elite
Elite

Re: Use A BEACH BALL

#16 Unread post by TorontoBoy »

mbrudolph wrote:I came up with this idea years ago and it works great.

Get a medium or small size BEACH BALL and inflate it to the appropriate size to fill in the empty space in the top box or side bags. It does a good job of securing almost anything. Good for around town and long trips as well. You can carry them with you all the time, they don't take up any room when deflated.
That's an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.