Well, I'm signed up !!!

Greg .
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Greg . »

Thank you, dean, and thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm honestly not sure if this is going to be for me. I have always been interested and I THINK I'm going to like it, but to be honest, I am not sure yet. I also understand that we'll be in a "parking lot" learning and practicing skills at low speeds. So ... I am going to hold off on buying ANYTHING I don't have to. I plan on wearing leather work boots, thin leather gloves, jeans, and a heavy shirt or light jacket (maybe my leather jacket - but it should be HOT so I don't want to over do anything). They lend out helmets and motorcycles, so I'm OK there. When I do buy a helmet, it will be a full face. The Scorpion is on my list from my nephew and will definitely be considered if it fits right.

If I do decide to ride, I am usually in Pittsboro for the Northwood - Cedar Ridge HS baseball game in the spring. Maybe then? And by then, I should be an OK rider. Of course, you're not so far that I couldn't make a trip over every now and then, either. Thanks.

Velocity
Veteran
Veteran

#12 Unread post by Velocity »

Greg . wrote:Thank you, dean, and thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm honestly not sure if this is going to be for me. I have always been interested and I THINK I'm going to like it, but to be honest, I am not sure yet. I also understand that we'll be in a "parking lot" learning and practicing skills at low speeds. So ... I am going to hold off on buying ANYTHING I don't have to. I plan on wearing leather work boots, thin leather gloves, jeans, and a heavy shirt or light jacket (maybe my leather jacket - but it should be HOT so I don't want to over do anything). They lend out helmets and motorcycles, so I'm OK there. When I do buy a helmet, it will be a full face. The Scorpion is on my list from my nephew and will definitely be considered if it fits right.

If I do decide to ride, I am usually in Pittsboro for the Northwood - Cedar Ridge HS baseball game in the spring. Maybe then? And by then, I should be an OK rider. Of course, you're not so far that I couldn't make a trip over every now and then, either. Thanks.
That was my approach too, Greg, so I think it's a good one. :) I actually rode the first riding day of class with those cheap leather and fabric utility gloves. They were kind of clumsy, though, so on the way home after the first riding day, I stopped at the nearby megamart and picked up a pair of nice grippy utility gloves. They cost me $10, but I could feel the controls better on day 2. Your thin leather gloves should be fine as long as they have good grip and don't slip easily.

I rode with the course's full face helmet, and was fine. I just needed the sunscreen for the intervals between riding when we could take the helmets off.

I, too, was not sure whether riding was for me, so I was grateful for an opportunity like the BRC to find out without having to invest in a motorcycle and gear. The first time I tried countersteering, though, I think I got hooked hard. It was an unbelievably great feeling. I think the idea of not buying anything more than you need to is a good one. The book Proficient Motorcyling by David Hough seems to have a strong following, but I held off on buying that too until after I completed my course. Why invest in a book for an interest that I might find out that I didn't want to pursue after all?

And I followed the Generally Accepted Wisdom and waited until after my BRC to buy a motorcycle. I did a lot of shopping, so I had a very good idea of what was out there, at what price, and what the various merits of different bikes was, but I did not buy. One thing I reaffirmed in that waiting period is that there is a world full of desirable bikes, so you don't need to jump at the first good bike at a good price that you see. If you miss that one, there will be another one tomorrow.

Greg .
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by Greg . »

Velocity wrote:One thing I reaffirmed in that waiting period is that there is a world full of desirable bikes, so you don't need to jump at the first good bike at a good price that you see. If you miss that one, there will be another one tomorrow.
Thanks. And thanks for the confirmation. I've been "looking" for a few weeks now, but am in no hurry to buy. I have found that by waiting, I find out if I REALLY want that new _______ . :) Oh ... and I'm thinking that with fall coming, some folks might be interested in giving me a "real deal".

El Conquistador
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by El Conquistador »

I have to agree, it's a good idea to wait until after the BRC to buy. My desired engine size went down a few notches once I completed the course - way back in May! I finally settled on a Vulcan 500, which I picked up last Friday - WooHoo!

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#15 Unread post by jaskc78 »

yeah, you definitely get screamin' hot deals near the generally accepted end of the riding season. if i still lived in Michigan, i'd buy motorcycles every fall just to sell them again in the spring. you can easily turn a grand on each bike that way, it's crazy.

another option is to buy a slightly beat-up starter bike for pretty cheap now and ride that around to get more familiar with the whole deal and then buy something bigger in the fall when everyone's looking to sell and the market's flooded. up to you, though, but just a thought.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re: Well, I'm signed up !!!

#16 Unread post by Brackstone »

Greg . wrote:I know, probably not a big deal to veteran riders -- but I signed up for my MSF today. I'll be taking the course July 17, 18,19.

Pray for me. LOL :wink: ... or beter yet - pray for the instructors! :laughing:
Good on you for being safe!
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#17 Unread post by zeligman »

Hey Greg - +1 on taking the course first - I felt EXACTLY as you and velocity described - wasn't sure it was for me (as a matter of fact, I'm still not completely positive about the long term, but had so much fun that I am committed to exploring it!)

I'm calling this the first Act of my midlife 'crisis' proudly (I'm 41) and this is my first time on a bike.

I actually took a 1 hour lesson BEFORE signing up for the course - the lesson was 75, the course 300, so if i washed out, it cost me less.

i LOVED the lesson, signed up for the course that day, got a $50 discount, so it made my wallet happy too.

They loaned us 3/4 helmets, we rode honda nighthawk 250's and it ended up that we rode both course days in the rain - first day was miserable medium rain the whole time second day on and off, so got SOME dry time in the beginning.

Riding in the rain turned out to be GREAT - on the course it was a HUGE confidence booster and reinforcement of the traction and control dynamics from the class and the books.

A couple of students had already bought bikes, but had never ridden - and had bought BIG bikes - not sure how that's going to work out for them - they struggled a bit in class too.

I finally bought my bike this past weekend. I've spent the last four weeks getting all my safety gear - full helmet, armored leather, pants, gloves, the works - I'm too old to ride foolishly!

Good for you for doing it the right way - and if nothing else - it's an accomplishment to complete the course, and it can be fun too!

Greg .
Veteran
Veteran

#18 Unread post by Greg . »

Thanks folks. And .... Woooooo Hooooooo. The class starts tomorrow!!

Funny you should mention 'midlife crisis', zeligman. :D I'll be turning 48 soon. Been lifting heavy for a while, taking karate, etc .... so you can imagine what my wife thinks about MY 'midlife crisis', huh??? lol :D I told my boys I'm gonna be like the guy with the "walrus" mustache on Orange County Choppers !!!!!!!! hahahahahaaaaa Actually, I think a sport bike is more my style, with the full face helmet, body armor, etc ... I too am too old to ride foolishly (obviously, since I have a few years on you). ;)

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#19 Unread post by zeligman »

Greg . wrote:Thanks folks. And .... Woooooo Hooooooo. The class starts tomorrow!!

Funny you should mention 'midlife crisis', zeligman. :D I'll be turning 48 soon. Been lifting heavy for a while, taking karate, etc .... so you can imagine what my wife thinks about MY 'midlife crisis', huh??? lol :D I told my boys I'm gonna be like the guy with the "walrus" mustache on Orange County Choppers !!!!!!!! hahahahahaaaaa Actually, I think a sport bike is more my style, with the full face helmet, body armor, etc ... I too am too old to ride foolishly (obviously, since I have a few years on you). ;)
well, old man, you can buy me a beer!

Good luck in the course, and I hope you enjoy it as much as so many of us have :)

looking forward to swapping stories!

-Z
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

ChickenLittle
Rookie
Rookie

#20 Unread post by ChickenLittle »

I just signed up for my class today too! I start on Sunday and am nervous! I have a V-Star 1100 that has been sitting in my garage for the last year and I need to ride not dust it! :oops:
Janice

Life is too short for what if's!