helmet help! :)

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

helmet help! :)

#1 Unread post by zeligman »

Hi all - I just purchased my helmet - picked it up this afternoon - arai vector - I chose it after following the sticky advice here - it fit me the best without hotspots - wore it in the store for 45 minutes, side to side test/ push up test, etc. seemed to be the one.

so, I get home, start unpacking everything and the registration process, and I look at the manufacturing date - 10/06!!!! everything I've read says a helmet is only good for 5 years from mfg date.

its July 09. only 2 years left for an expensive premium helmet.

I called the full service shop where I purchased it - they were surprised at my surprise - They told me that its 5 years from first exposure to elements, not manufacture. They told me I could talk to the manager this weekend and see if they can maybe 'root around the warehouse, opening packages, to find one with a newer mfg date'

They were NOT enthusiastic about it.

I spoke to my cousin who races bmw bikes and builds/repairs them, (he's my expert relative) who told me that it's not unusual, and that the truth lay somewhere in between - and I could use it for 4 years (at least) without worrying about it.

Oh wise and sage TMW moderators and riders, what are your thoughts about this?

thanks so much!

(wanting to keep my noggin intact)

-Z

Amdonim
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2000 ZG1000

#2 Unread post by Amdonim »

If I'm not mistaked, it's 5 years worth of riding wear and tear. It's not so much that the parts will wear down in the box, as it is the stress of wind pushing/pulling on it, sunlight/heat, sweat and oil from your hair, etc...

At least afaik...

Ryethil
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Ryethil »

I agree with everyone's advise so far. 5 years is a guestimate. It isn't fixed in stone. It just a number that you should follow so that your helmet stays in tip top working condition so you'll ride safer. I personally change helmets sooner but I learned that habit because I raced for a while. Other's go longer than 5 years and don't show any adverse effect if they have a wreck. I know it sounds stupid but go with what you feel safest with. As for your helmet, I wouldn't worry about it at least for now. The 5 years, for the most part, starts when you start using it. The biggest thing is maintain it, as the manual you got with it, says to. That and physically inspect it regularlly. An Arai is usually a premier helmet and you should have little problem with it.

:rockon:
Alex
It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. WtPooh

My First Custom, Late 90's Sportster, Heavily Breathed On, Big Block, S&S HP Heads, Custom High Performance Pipes. Wickedly fast, Uncomfortable, Front end is a jackhammer. Age 18yrs, Still have the bike!

[img]http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab194/Ryethil/user28512_pic25609_1235625747-1.jpg[/img]

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#4 Unread post by MTexile »

+1 Ryethil...
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by roscowgo »

I dunno about you, but my helmets are trashed by the end of two years pretty much. Sweat, mildew, lots and lots of on and offs.

They work pretty well as pillows if you find yourself sleeping in a parking lot too.

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#6 Unread post by zeligman »

I spoke to the manufacturer, who assured me that the warranty is intact - and begins 5 years from the first WEARING of the helmet. So, thanks for everyone's nickel - but I think at this point i'll keep it - since i don't want to wait another week to start riding! :)
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!