seat too high or legs too short

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#11 Unread post by MZ33 »

Sorry, Joey, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :oops: Has any of this been helpful to you?
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#12 Unread post by HYPERR »

MZ33 wrote:Sorry, Joey, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :oops: Has any of this been helpful to you?
Well like Lion Lady said, seat shaving and sliding your butt to the left and only putting one foot down at stoplights are two great methods to compensate for short inseam.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#13 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

If you tend to drop the bike to the right... think about it, the brake lever is in your right hand. If you pull the right grip toward you (unconsciously) while squeezing the brake lever, that will turn the bars to the right as you apply the brakes.

The result is then likely to be a tipover to the right.

(And, HYPER, tables and chairs are usually 4 legged for "insurance." Consider: If there's a problem with one leg on a four legged table/chair... it wobbles. If there's a problem on a THREE legged table or chair, it will fall over. :wink: )

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#14 Unread post by HYPERR »

Lion_Lady wrote:
(And, HYPER, tables and chairs are usually 4 legged for "insurance." Consider: If there's a problem with one leg on a four legged table/chair... it wobbles. If there's a problem on a THREE legged table or chair, it will fall over. :wink: )

P
So in essence aren't you agreeing with me that 4 legs are more stable than 3? :wink:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#15 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

I wouldn't call "wobbling" stable. 3 legs/points of contact NEVER wobble.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

srtgurly650
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Seat question

#16 Unread post by srtgurly650 »

I can touch the ground but the seat that is on my v star 650 is too deep and I have to sit all the way up to push the brake and clutch. Any suggestions for a solo seat that I can do this and be comfortble?

RavenDee
Rookie
Rookie

#17 Unread post by RavenDee »

Lion_Lady wrote:I wouldn't call "wobbling" stable. 3 legs/points of contact NEVER wobble.

P
So I guess that is why all those 4-legged critters out there are wobbling all over the place? Sorry, couldn't resist. If our legs were stiff and straight like table legs, I'd agree with your analogy. But they're not. :wink:

PacificShot327
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100

#18 Unread post by PacificShot327 »

I will further contribute to the hijacking of this thread. :-)

Three points of contact CAN be more stable than four points of contact. For them to be equally stable, all points of contact must be on the same plane.

However, in an object with four points of intended contact, if one of the points moves up or down along the z-axis, all four points can no longer make contact, and it becomes an object with three points of contact. The object ONLY wobbles due to weight transfer (for example, a chair that someone leans back and forth on - if they didn't lean toward the flawed leg, the chair is still functional because of the three points of contact. If one of the legs on a three legged chair moved up or down on the z-axis, it would still stand (although, if it moved up or down high enough, you might slide right off. :-) ).

It is not flawed to consider a motorcycle's tires as two points of contact. They may move together and be part of the same unit, but they are still 2 points in one segment, and all triangles consist of three segments. I see how Hyperr would say that it's considered one point, but if thought of as a single unit, it would still be a line segment, which still contains at least 2 "points". So really, you're both right, but there was some "off" terminology being used.
"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor." Alexis Carrel

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#19 Unread post by MZ33 »

Back to srtgurly650 with her seat problem: try asking on a V Star forum, like this one: http://www.650ccnd.com/ They very likely have experience with all kinds of custom options.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

follow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Re: Seat question

#20 Unread post by follow »

srtgurly650 wrote:I can touch the ground but the seat that is on my v star 650 is too deep and I have to sit all the way up to push the brake and clutch. Any suggestions for a solo seat that I can do this and be comfortble?
Yeah a back rest.
I am 62" and a smidge...I use a backrest that pushes me forward which helps me reach. This is on a HD.
My other bike I had to have the seat shaved down to at least tippy toe.
So I feel your pain. I do the left foot on the ground stop.
I follow a new highway I haven't traveled before.

[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/2rpwdjq.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.tinypic.com/wswow4.jpg[/img]

IBA Member: SS1000, BB1500, BBGold

HD 07 Street Glide-mine
HD 02 Road King-ours
Honda 06 ST1300-ours
Honda 97 ST1100-mine