Misadventures in wrenching and riding

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#251 Unread post by Skier »

Got slammed with some surprise paperwork when I got home yesterday, but my trip writeup is done.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Skier

#252 Unread post by Skier »

Might as well repost this here.

My 599 found a friend!

An '06 Triumph Scrambler followed me home across the state today. It looked so happy to be with me I couldn't turn it away. :)

I've put almost a thousand miles on it, great bike. Love the torque of a big parallel twin and it's far more composed in gravel than my 599.

Cornering on pavement leaves something to be desired with the Scrambler but hey, pavement merely takes you to the next dirt road. :wink:
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#253 Unread post by mgdavis »

How's the Triumph working out? The Scrambler would be on my short list if I were bike shopping right now.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Skier

#254 Unread post by Skier »

mgdavis wrote:How's the Triumph working out? The Scrambler would be on my short list if I were bike shopping right now.
Working well so far, but there's a few things I want to fix in a hurry. The front suspension is incredibly harsh on-road and the seat is hilariously uncomfortable compared to my 599. Both appear to be easily fixed.

Speaking of my 599, I was replacing the clutch and inspecting parts when I notice this:

That's my.... (looks up the manual) clutch lifter arm shaft. I am pretty sure that's not normal wear. :(

The clutch basket is showing its miles, too:

Gonna have to replace the shaft if nothing else.

Strangely all the clutch discs are in spec for thickness but the clutch has been acting wonky lately, so I may as well replace 'em all!

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#255 Unread post by mgdavis »

It looks like your clutch basket has some significant fatigue cracks forming. :shock:

How many miles are on the 599? It might be getting toward time to replace the whole assembly, before your clutch grenades!

Caveat - I'm no motorcycle mechanic, but I have a feeling for when things look "not right".

It's too bad our motorcycle shop manuals aren't written like aircraft tech data. If they were, you could just find the inspection criteria in the appropriate T.O. and it would tell you the acceptable limits.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#256 Unread post by Wrider »

How's your shift shaft seal look? Was it leaking at all? If not I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

As for the clutch acting wonky, it's the grooves in the basket. Even little small grooves like that can make it feel like your clutch is going out. On the plus side your splines still look really good, so no need to crack the cases. :| I still say you need to head down here and we'll do a full rebuild for you. :laughing: :mrgreen:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Skier

#257 Unread post by Skier »

Shifter shaft seal was working fine, but if I'm gonna order a bunch of parts might as well make it so I don't gotta get in the clutch for a long time, right?

mgdavis: The 599 is at 34,200 miles now. Lots of fully loaded touring miles and two-up riding.

I wonder if I'm overloading the bike far too much when touring. Scratch that, I know I overload the bike and I'm paying for it now. Oops.

Skier

#258 Unread post by Skier »

60 miles after my KLR-inspired temporary fix, the bike feel way better. should last me until the replacement parts show. Thanks for the suggestion (via AIM), Wrider!

Skier

#259 Unread post by Skier »

mgdavis wrote:It looks like your clutch basket has some significant fatigue cracks forming. :shock:

How many miles are on the 599? It might be getting toward time to replace the whole assembly, before your clutch grenades!

Caveat - I'm no motorcycle mechanic, but I have a feeling for when things look "not right".

It's too bad our motorcycle shop manuals aren't written like aircraft tech data. If they were, you could just find the inspection criteria in the appropriate T.O. and it would tell you the acceptable limits.
My new parts came in today and the still-factory-wrapped clutch basket has those same marks. Wrider was spot-on, they are casting marks and not stress fractures.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#260 Unread post by Wrider »

WHEW *wipes sweat from brow* Glad I was right! :laughing:
Yeah those stupid casting marks are on everything along those lines. Glad to hear you got the parts in, I want to see pics of the install!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha