Dream Bike Harley vs V Star The choice is yours.

XB08
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by XB08 »

Who care what anyone thinks, If you like your bike that cool. I had amny different makes of bikes and I could have them all again there is only one I wouldn't want.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#12 Unread post by dr_bar »

Okay, it's been pointed out to me that maybe that picture of the label isn't mine. I'll have to admit that in fact Gummi is right and the picture I had taken must be on my computer at home. It is apparent after looking at my file, that there is no data as to when it was taken or the camera used. I also noticed now that I looked closer at the picture, the parcel is going through UPS not the postal service.
Sorry for any misrepresentation... :oops:

Thanks for pointing that out to me Gummi..

Doug
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#13 Unread post by zeligman »

i shopped for two months - kept going back to a picture i saw of one particular bike -

i needed used, a little rough around the edges *im a new rider and didn't want to kick myself when i did something stupid* and affordable (as cheap as possible).

I actually was surprised at the bike i found - see my signature. an 02 suz volusia vl800 - i LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

i still look at other bikes of course, they are all beautiful in one way or another- but im utterly satisfied with mine.

i look forward to many years of enjoyment on it :)

I got what i needed - and you know what? it turned out to be what i wanted too - take that rolling stones! :)

-zeligman
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

IcyHound
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#14 Unread post by IcyHound »

I have never pictured harley as the be all and end all of motorcycles. Some people like them. A lot of people do *not* like them. A lot of people do not even like cruisers at all and would never consider one.

Just becuase your co-workers are ignorant parrots does not mean you have to be irritated by them.

Do they even ride their bikes or just leave them in the garage?
------------------------
Kawasaki Fangirl
I ride Mantis - Yamaha FZ6

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

Re: Dream Bike Harley vs V Star The choice is yours.

#15 Unread post by flynrider »

Mike4139 wrote: Harley Davidson is this best quality Motorcycle out there. The fit and finished quality can’t be beat. I know that, and anybody that knows motorcycles knows that. Those who say different has never really been up close and personal with a Harley.
Really? Statements like that make me think that perhaps your coworkers are getting to you. You're beginning to sound like them.

Now, I've only been riding for 30 years and I've only owned two Harleys in that time, so maybe I'm still a clueless noob, but I wouldn't agree that Harley is the ultimate in motorcycling. For some people they are. Others, like me, think they make a good bike, but they're not necessarily the best fit for my purposes.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

havegunjoe
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2004 Yamaha 650 V-Star

#16 Unread post by havegunjoe »

Cost is a major point. My V Star is bought and paid for. Most Harley riders are paying for years on their bike and all the accessories they feel they need to with them. Part of American’s problem is that a lot of people buy what they want not what they can afford. I don’t and you are wise in doing the same.
DEMOCRACY IS 2 WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR DINNER.
LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#17 Unread post by Gummiente »

havegunjoe wrote:Cost is a major point. My V Star is bought and paid for. Most Harley riders are paying for years on their bike and all the accessories they feel they need to with them.
And all the Gold Wing and BMW owners pay cash up front for their new bikes, do they?

Give your head a shake. :roll:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#18 Unread post by koji52 »

havegunjoe wrote:Cost is a major point. My V Star is bought and paid for. Most Harley riders are paying for years on their bike and all the accessories they feel they need to with them. Part of American’s problem is that a lot of people buy what they want not what they can afford. I don’t and you are wise in doing the same.
There is nothing wrong with debt in moderate amounts. BTW, my sporster has been paid off for a while now and my Vrod will be paid off by May, June or July (depending on how expensive X-mas will be this year).
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#19 Unread post by Wrider »

Gummiente wrote:
havegunjoe wrote:Cost is a major point. My V Star is bought and paid for. Most Harley riders are paying for years on their bike and all the accessories they feel they need to with them.
And all the Gold Wing and BMW owners pay cash up front for their new bikes, do they?

He did say MOST in there. And yes GWs are very expensive, but are basically cars minus two wheels and a roof.

Gummi there's no reason to take everything personally when it comes to someone mentioning a negative point of an HD. I don't take it personally when someone points out the negative points of a Suzuki or Yamaha, and I'm even willing to point some out. (Katana carbs are garbage.)

The point that havegunjoe was making was that it was cheaper for him to buy a stock V-Star and leave it that way than it is for a good portion of HD buyers who tend to either go solid black or solid chrome. To each their own, his opinion is just as valid as yours is as mine is.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Nightster XL1200N

#20 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

Wrider wrote:
Gummiente wrote:

He did say MOST in there. And yes GWs are very expensive, but are basically cars minus two wheels and a roof.

Gummi there's no reason to take everything personally when it comes to someone mentioning a negative point of an HD. I don't take it personally when someone points out the negative points of a Suzuki or Yamaha, and I'm even willing to point some out. (Katana carbs are garbage.)

The point that havegunjoe was making was that it was cheaper for him to buy a stock V-Star and leave it that way than it is for a good portion of HD buyers who tend to either go solid black or solid chrome. To each their own, his opinion is just as valid as yours is as mine is.
TBH, it was a pretty dumb thing to say. I could sit here and say "More people go into debt buying pre-owned foreign autos then pre-owned american." It doesn't make much sense. What you do with your money is your own business, and harleys really aren't that much more expensive then imports.

You can leave a harley stock as well, that's your option. Most owners don't, most people buy a harley and want lots of chrome, want loud exhausts etc. I'll just assume from here on out that every import bike owner just likes to leave their bikes stock and every harley owner likes addons. Makes sense, right?

Final point is the original argument is fail. I don't think gummi is mad at all just stating the facts.