fingers go numb

romex2121
Rookie
Rookie

fingers go numb

#1 Unread post by romex2121 »

im on a 2003 suzuki volusia 800,, about 30 min. into a ride my little finger and hand starts to go numb,, ive done some searching and it seems im not the only one that this happens to. what can i do to resolve this???? risers,bars,etc,,,,

redwing
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by redwing »

Hi Romex2121 ... Usually a couple of ounces of rum or vodka takes care of the numbness.
Ok ... that was stupid... look into a heavier bar end weight at maybe an aftermarket source.... see what the dealer thinks but beware the dealer is in business to sell you something.
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...

romex2121
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by romex2121 »

damn and i thought my keystone light would help :wink: im going to the dealer sat. for some new tires to be installed ill ask what they think,, can the bars be repositioned to help with this ??? ive been reading about grip being to tight and they may be some of it ,, was the first time on hwy at 75mph trying to catch my brother in law :lol:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

I had after market Kuryakyn ISO-Grips put on my bike,
They have more girth then factory grips and I have found that they have greatly reduced both numbing and cramping of my fingers and palm. You don't have to clamp on to them as tightly as you have to with normal skinny factory grips, plus the little rubber pads greatly reduce low frequency vibration.
Always ask why.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Well there's the grips, and there's bar snakes (weighted cloths that go through your handlebars to dampen vibrations) and heavier bar ends. Any of the above should help with no problem.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

romex2121
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by romex2121 »

i think im gonna try those grips ,, they will match the pegs on my bike,,highway pegs ,,driver pegs,, and passenger pegs,,even the brake pedal :D were gonna go on a trip in sept. to a get together called Aspencade in Ruidoso NM. this will be my first decent hwy. trip ,, im hopeing these grips will at least leason some of the discomfort in my fingers

romex2121
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by romex2121 »

forgot to ask,,, will these grips fit the 03 volusia 800??? i hope so cause i just orderd them :lol:

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#8 Unread post by RockBottom »

Grip Puppies are even cheaper and easier.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mer ... Code=grips

I had a bad problem with hand numbness and fatigue when I first started riding and finally figured out I was just squeezing too hard.
Last edited by RockBottom on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do

king robb
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by king robb »

You can also relax your grip some. Not all, but some numbing in hands while riding is just bad circulation from tense riders.
2 wheels on the ground

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#10 Unread post by zeligman »

i ride an 02 vl 800 :) nice bike brother!

i actually adjusted the brake and clutch levers on the bars themselves, to a higher (and thus closer to the bar for my hands) position. Helped with my hands a lot.

My fingers didn't go numb, but hands do occasionally cramp.. i have relative short fingers but wide hands....

also, on my VL there is a numbered dial for the brake - allows for more or less 'slip' before the brake catches... essentially bringing the brake lever in closer as it engages.

im amazed at how every little adjustment can make a huge physical difference on a bike.

:)
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!