Safety Course

ercbf
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Safety Course

#1 Unread post by ercbf »

Just finished the classroom portion of the MSF BRC. Scored a perfect score on the test(woohoo!, lol). Only 1 more weekend of riding left on the course(boohoo). I am amazed at how much I am really enjoying it. Hopefully, if all goes well, I will pass the skills test on Sunday. We lucked out, there are only 6 people in my class, mostly due to the fact that one of our weekends on the course coincided with Labor Day weekend. There is a lot of 1 on 1 instruction for us. I would definately recommend this course to anyone even considering getting on a motorcycle. I believe in this so much, after I get a few years of riding under my belt, I plan on applying as an instructor. Well, that's my newbie rant, thanks for reading!
Eric

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#2 Unread post by jaskc78 »

glad to hear you're enjoying the course, but more importantly that you're taking it before you start riding.

and don't be so surprised, a lot of people have more fun on the riding exercises in the courses than just out regular riding. it's easier to enjoy the ride when you dono't have to worry about any cars or traffic lights or pedestrians or anything else, just you and the bike and lost of swerving and sweeping turns and figure 8s. it's definitely a good time.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Nightster XL1200N

#3 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

jaskc78 wrote:glad to hear you're enjoying the course, but more importantly that you're taking it before you start riding.

and don't be so surprised, a lot of people have more fun on the riding exercises in the courses than just out regular riding. it's easier to enjoy the ride when you dono't have to worry about any cars or traffic lights or pedestrians or anything else, just you and the bike and lost of swerving and sweeping turns and figure 8s. it's definitely a good time.
no way open road is more fun. Now traffic roads where im holding in the clutch 75% of the time are lame.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Safety Course

#4 Unread post by jstark47 »

ercbf wrote:I believe in this so much, after I get a few years of riding under my belt, I plan on applying as an instructor.
Glad you enjoyed the course. A couple of regulars on this forum are MSF instructors, look up users LionLady and Storysunfolding.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

ercbf
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by ercbf »

Thanks for all the feedback. Tomorrow is our evaluation. I am nervous and excited at the same time. I am doing pretty well at the course. One of the instructors asked me if l wanted to take a trip to Indiana next year in the summer with him and about 15 others, if I am comfortable enough on the bike to make the trip, I may take him up on the offer. I can't say enough good things about the instructors and the MSF. If you love in PA, you have no excuses not to take it(ot's free on PA). Anyone can benefit from it, old and new. My confidence is high(without being cocky), that Iwill be able to ride my motorcycle comfortably, after getting used to it of course!

Eric
Last edited by ercbf on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

While on subject of safety classes. Has anyone taken the new class taught by ABATE?

This is the Evergreen Safety Council class. I am thinking of taking this as it is the only hack class offered here. I would prefer to take a USCA class if it was here.

ercbf
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by ercbf »

I took my evaluation on Sunday. Passed with flying colors!! Scored 4 points. The reasom I got the points was for my panic stop. I braked a tad early. Next weekend I am picking up my motorcycle. I plan to practice on it the same way they instructed us at the course. I am almost sad to see the safety course over, I really enjoyed it. I am going to take the experienced riders course in the spring with my bike.

Eric

Skier

#8 Unread post by Skier »

slimcolo wrote:While on subject of safety classes. Has anyone taken the new class taught by ABATE?

This is the Evergreen Safety Council class. I am thinking of taking this as it is the only hack class offered here. I would prefer to take a USCA class if it was here.
I think the ESC S/TEP class is the only game in town.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]