Fogging up in the rain

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by Skier »

RhadamYgg wrote:I use RainX anti-fog wipes on the inside on my visor and RainX regular on the outside.

The inside one doesn't work 100% on the anti-fog. I can say from several experiences that on the outside with the water-repellent - this improves conditions greatly.

But the wipes are really for a whole windshield of a car and kinda wasteful. But I keep them in my tail bag for easy access most times when I ride to work.

Although I gotta admit I like riding without any bags better when possible.

RhadamYgg
Read the warnings on the Rain-X against using it on clear plastics such as motorcycle visors.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#12 Unread post by Nalian »

+1 on the pin-lock here as well. I fog up helmets like no one's business (all that hot air, ya know) and that's the only thing that keeps my shield clear. Worked while snowmobiling, too!

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#13 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Skier wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote:I use RainX anti-fog wipes on the inside on my visor and RainX regular on the outside.

The inside one doesn't work 100% on the anti-fog. I can say from several experiences that on the outside with the water-repellent - this improves conditions greatly.

But the wipes are really for a whole windshield of a car and kinda wasteful. But I keep them in my tail bag for easy access most times when I ride to work.

RhadamYgg
Read the warnings on the Rain-X against using it on clear plastics such as motorcycle visors.
Err what? I hadn't seen that.

A quick web search it appears there are a few bad effects the rainX can do to my visor. Not good. Brittle plastic, a permanent fog, etc.

Although some people don't seem to have an issue, I've been looking for better solutions to rain and fog - this just makes it something higher on my list of problems needing a resolution.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#14 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I use those glue on Fog City plastic things. They work, but they seem to be a bit fragile though.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Skier

#15 Unread post by Skier »

RhadamYgg wrote:
Skier wrote:

RhadamYgg
Err what? I hadn't seen that.

A quick web search it appears there are a few bad effects the rainX can do to my visor. Not good. Brittle plastic, a permanent fog, etc.

Although some people don't seem to have an issue, I've been looking for better solutions to rain and fog - this just makes it something higher on my list of problems needing a resolution.

RhadamYgg
Use Plexus for cleaning your visor. It will leave a nice slick coating the rain will slide off of.

If that's not enough perhaps try some automotive paint wax on the outside of the visor. Read warning labels, etc...
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#16 Unread post by JCS »

+1 on the pin lock. It works.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#17 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

JCS wrote:+1 on the pin lock. It works.
I searched for it - I got a price of $28 for the shield and $28 for the secondary shield. That seems little pricey, but then again it still seems worth it.

RhadamYgg

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#18 Unread post by Nalian »

RhadamYgg wrote:
I searched for it - I got a price of $28 for the shield and $28 for the secondary shield. That seems little pricey, but then again it still seems worth it.

RhadamYgg
The cheaper option is a Fog City face shield insert. I tried those as well and eventually upgraded to the pinlock. I wouldn't go back, now!

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#19 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Nalian wrote:
RhadamYgg wrote:

RhadamYgg
The cheaper option is a Fog City face shield insert. I tried those as well and eventually upgraded to the pinlock. I wouldn't go back, now!
I like to gripe about the money, but I know that several times I've gone cheap and the stuff I've gotten is just pure garbage.

RhadamYgg

redwing
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by redwing »

Hi maxoverdrive... I have a problem like yours except it is with rain. I post on another forum for BMWs also and asked the question
'Seeing in the rain???.
I got alot of advice all of which I want to use. They have several suggestions and some I see in this posting. Two suggestion that might take some time to get are 'Rain Coat' (one word) and another is 'pin lock.'
The forum's name is www.r1150.net and the posting is in the r1200r group. It is titled 'Seeing in the rain???'. And my screen name is redwing on the r1150r.net also.
The vendor for the 'rain coat' is
http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat_reviews.html
and they sell a anti fog chemical also.
So I hope you find something here as an answer.
Please excuse the Harley comment ... I want one but they're just so expensive.

Robert
2008 BMW R1200R and is it sweet...