Fatal accident

shalihe74
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by shalihe74 »

bandit600 wrote:I suspect the increasing number of doohickies to play with (cell phones, Blackberries, iPods...) is contributing to the overall rise of crappy drivers. I get so mad when I'm on the freeway and I'm not even exaggerating 50% of people have some sort of device that they are either using or fiddling with.

It doesn't even have to be electronic!! I saw a guy on Rt 66 going into DC the other day in traffic reading a newspaper. :frusty:

It's always hard to hear of another rider going down for good. Thoughts and prayers going out to the family...
Sadly, it isn't always the cager at fault. As an MSF instructor, I can honestly say I've seen a decrease in the caliber of our students over the past few years when gas prices were high & motorcycles became cost-efficient modes of transportation, and not just toys.

And, despite our best efforts, morons do pass the class and become legal on 2 wheels...

Not saying that's the case here, but...sometimes us m/c folks do dumb dodo too. (And I'm guilty of it, too. I'm typing w/ a broken hand cuz I did something dumb on a m/c. Fortunately on the track & not in traffic, but dumb nonetheless.)
[b][i]"Good girls go to heaven. Bad ones go to hell. And girls on fast bikes go anywhere they want." [/i]

2009 Triumph Sprint ST - daily commuter
2006 Triumph Daytona 675 - track bike
1999 Suzuki SV650 - track training bike[/b]

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#12 Unread post by sapaul »

JC Viper wrote:Honestly in order to escape these impatient asssclowns in their cars you have to ride a bit aggressively then these pundits go on about how bikers are aggressive and causing roads to be dangerous.

Now cars are coming equipped to compensate for driver stupidity such as lane drift warning, or blind spot warnings since no one does head checks anymore. This country is becoming fat lazy and stupid for a reason.
Can't agree more, I think it's a world wide sickness, but I suppose if you are brought up with

"Be all you can be and stuff the other guy"

then we have to expect the "me "me " me attitude.

At least bikers have a community spirit. 8)
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#13 Unread post by sapaul »

Now yesterday after seeing a client, I stop at another bike down at an intersection. It was a friend of mine's daughter.

She was crossing over a 4 way intersection on green when another woman decided to shoot across. :evil:

I get so "procreating" angry when I hear the same crap every time. I did not see her.

This excuse has gone on too long. She did not see her because she did not look at anything smaller than her own vehicle. Typically denying all responsibility because she did not see her.

Young 18 year old girl now lies in ICU with c4 and c5 broken and they are doing damage control before they decide the next course of action.

What is so frustrating is that there is so little recourse and it will be an "accident"

they say speed kills, bullshit, bad driving does. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#14 Unread post by ceemes »

sapaul wrote:Now yesterday after seeing a client, I stop at another bike down at an intersection. It was a friend of mine's daughter.

She was crossing over a 4 way intersection on green when another woman decided to shoot across. :evil:

I get so "procreating" angry when I hear the same "crumb" every time. I did not see her.

This excuse has gone on too long. She did not see her because she did not look at anything smaller than her own vehicle. Typically denying all responsibility because she did not see her.

Young 18 year old girl now lies in ICU with c4 and c5 broken and they are doing damage control before they decide the next course of action.

What is so frustrating is that there is so little recourse and it will be an "accident"

they say speed kills, bullshit, bad driving does. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I hear that. I commute daily on my bike, between a 10 to 20 minute ride depending on traffic and most of it is highway. Everyday some arsehole has to try something stupid in an attempt to bring my almost fifty years on this planet to a sudden and crashing end. Can't even begin to count the number of close calls and words exchanged with these dickheads.

Personally, I strongly believe that as a rider, I should have the absolute right to punch any bread I catch with cell phone glued to his ear in the head, thereby deeply embedding said phone in said ear hole, especially the bread who damn near took me out this afternoon in my parking lot....bonehead did a roaring reverse out of his stall even though his left hand view of on-coming traffic was blocked by a dirty great SUV, and yup, his f'ing mobile was glued to his f'ing left ear. Took some fancy braking and maneuvering to escape that fvckwad.
Always ask why.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#15 Unread post by JC Viper »

sapaul wrote:Now yesterday after seeing a client, I stop at another bike down at an intersection. It was a friend of mine's daughter.

I get so "procreating" angry when I hear the same "crumb" every time. I did not see her.

So basically that twit also doesn't watch for pedestrians or bicyclists huh? I'm pretty sure a motorcycle with its headlight on and possibly running lights is more visible than a pedestrian. I would use that in court in suing the dogs for what she's worth. Here in NYC the mayor has been getting drivers to watch for bicyclists as a way to make the city greener but for some reason when it comes to motorcycles we should be aware of the dangers of other drivers. Remember at drivers education we are taught to be aware of our surroundings when operating a vehicle. What happened to that teaching? Just a sound bite not meant to be followed? Bull.

(INSULT REMOVED BY MOD) of a mayor and the city is ineffective with my accident case which the guy hit then ran and my insurance company found the guy. He wasn't arrested and he's refusing to pay for a bullshit reason that my bike stopped quicker than he could stop but I was sitting at a solid red for 2 seconds and I had a lot of red lights on the back of my bike. Kudos for my insurance company for going after the guy.

NYPD suck my ballz
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#16 Unread post by Wrider »

Plus (and I don't mean this as an insult to you JCViper) that's a complete BS reason. Cars for the vast majority of the case stop faster than bikes because of the differences in traction!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#17 Unread post by ceemes »

Wrider wrote:Plus (and I don't mean this as an insult to you JCViper) that's a complete BS reason. Cars for the vast majority of the case stop faster than bikes because of the differences in traction!
Not sure about that Wrider, given most modern bikes today come equipped with three disks brakes mounted on two wheels and many now have abs, while many cars still only come equipped with disks up front and drums in the rear. Then there is the mass plus velocity factor, a car and bike can be doing the same speed, but cars generally have more mass to slow down, meaning it has a lot more energy to bled off or turn into heat.
Always ask why.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#18 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Well, even if there was a car in front of that guy - he could have used that lame excuse.

Honestly, you are responsible for what is in front of you. Unless someone maximum brakes in front of you for no observable reason - anything you hit with the front of your car is your fault.

I really don't get how this guys excuse holds up for anything, especially since he's got multiple other violations.

I'd follow this guy around and call the police so they keep giving him tickets for not having his documentation.

I got a ticket for that on the GW - it as $120.!

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#19 Unread post by zeligman »

i'm pretty sure that if you hit anything, it's your fault. if someone stops short in front and you hit them, its your fault because you were following too closely.

that may not be an arrestable offense, but im fairly certain the insurance company uses that to assess fault.
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#20 Unread post by flynrider »

Wrider wrote:Plus (and I don't mean this as an insult to you JCViper) that's a complete BS reason. Cars for the vast majority of the case stop faster than bikes because of the differences in traction!
I think the opposite is true. Stopping distance is more a function of weight and inertia than traction. If you've ever driven an 18-wheeler (plenty of rubber on the road), you'd know exactly what I mean.

While bikes do have less friction area to transfer stopping power to the road, their relative light weights mean that they don't require as much of a contact patch to do the job.

With the exception of maybe some hi performance sports cars, my bike can outstop just about any cage on the road.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk