SS1000 / Bunburner Attempt

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#11 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I've got a fe hour sdown here - may want till twilight to go home it is hot as anything down here.

Lots of riders with no helmet, but some wearing helmets. More then I would have thought.

Il> at kennedy space center now. Beautiful ride over atlantic waterway to merrit island.

I thought I would be unique coming to the space center on a bike.... That is incorrect. There is one other bike here ..... in the motorcycle parking area. Closer to the facilty that the car parking and the helpful security guy directed me to park my bike in the shade!!!

Maybe NASA isn't as risk averse as I thought.

Rhadamygg on my stupid phone that doesn't work on facebook anymore.
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#12 Unread post by Johnj »

I hope you got a room and about 16 hours of sleep. You could jump over to the Blue Ridge Parkway on your way home. I bet the fall colors are gorgeous.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#13 Unread post by koji52 »

Dammit dude. I wish I had seen this thread earlier...did you go it alone? I definately would have been interested in tagging along for something like that. I had planned to ride in a random direction for a couple of days then find my way back at some point during the summer and it never happened.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#14 Unread post by zeligman »

CONGRATS! - was great to hear you did well!

I'm jealous! wonder how many miles from Boston to Rahway? :)

next summer perhaps!

well done Rhadamygg!
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#15 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

A saddle sore is not a ride to "tag along" on. Not any more than you'd "tag along" with Lance Armstrong, for a bicycle ride. The motorcycles would need to have "matched" gas tank ranges, and the riders must practically read each others minds. Otherwise valuable time is lost . . . and a Saddle Sore is all about time and focus.

>>You did it the hard way, Rad.. But congratulations!!

500 ish miles out, then 500 ish miles back means you aren't so far from home if you realize the adventure is more than you bargained for. The "one way" SS1000 is great if you've got family, etc at your 1K destination for support.

For those who are clueless: A Saddle Sore 1000 is a recognized achievement in the Long Distance Riding community. It involves riding 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. Planning to ride at least 50 miles further is always smart. (A friend rode 1003 miles... she was denied certification because her odometer is optimistic).

Planning a route, and strict documentation of turn points and gas stops are required. Along with witness signatures at or near the start and finish of your ride.

for the "real" scoop, go here: http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by koji52 »

Lion_Lady wrote:A saddle sore is not a ride to "tag along" on. Not any more than you'd "tag along" with Lance Armstrong, for a bicycle ride. The motorcycles would need to have "matched" gas tank ranges, and the riders must practically read each others minds. Otherwise valuable time is lost . . . and a Saddle Sore is all about time and focus.

P
"Tag along" was more like "I'm down to ride with you, can clear my schedule for it and can commit to it." I think "tagging along" on a bicycle tour with Lance Armstrong is a bit extreme by way of an analogy, as there are very few people on Earth who can physically do so. I would suspect that there are few people who could ride a motorcycle with Lance Armstrong on a bicycle. Your comment appears to have some demeaning aftertones, which I dont appreciate, but whatever. I would not have jumped onto a trip like this on the fly. However, given a week to clear my schedule, buy some gear and ready myself, I think I have the motorcycling skill, physical endurance and mental strength to complete a trip like this.

Congrats Rhadam for doing what you did.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#17 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

I'm finally back and ... functional. The return trip was so friggin' cold and the gear I brought failed completely to protect me from.

I ended up stopping at a Target and getting thermal underware, and warm weather gloves under my leather gloves.

Still, temps were lower than I expected and the way back I had to stop more frequently, to warm up.

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#18 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Skier wrote:For future reference, AAA covers motorcycles with their RV coverage.
I've seen it, unfortunately, I asked my wife to add the coverage - and she never got to it.

Fortunately, I didn't need it - although a couple of times I was getting really nervous about gas.

I'll have to add it myself sometime soon.

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#19 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Gummiente wrote:
BuzZz wrote:Good choice.

And Good Luck, eh. 8)
I'll second that. Ride safe!
Thanks Gummi - turned out to be a really good choice. I'm pretty sure my butt couldn't take another 500 miles. Something to work towards, maybe.

I always did want to get to the Grand Canyon. But I'd probably budget a specific smaller number of miles per day than 1000 a day.

I've got bruises in uncomfortable places right now.

RhadamYgg

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#20 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Wrider wrote:Glad you've made it man! Congratulations! Sleep well!
Thanks! I ended up not getting a whole lot of sleep, but relaxed most of the day at Kennedy Space Center.

The funny thing about Kennedy Space Center is that.... Everything I look at I think I could do better - they have the most impressive topic to base a park around... And this is what they come up with?

They really need some one that is visionary to head up the visitor center and PR for NASA... I mean really, are they even trying?

RhadamYgg