Too Hot in Turn

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Too Hot in Turn

#1 Unread post by StillTry'n »

You have entered a long sweeping turn at too hot a speed.

You have to make a decision........NOW.

You have three choices, and two of them involve slowing (braking). Do you down shift or do you brake?

If neither why not?

Your third choice is to maintain this too fast speed (and you better be Rossi here) and hard counter steer to hold your line ....and pray you make the exit.

It's too late to go back and enter at the speed you should have for your experience.

So what do I (that's me) do......and most important of all, don't do?

Dan

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

Well that's pretty easy, you drop the clutch, break the rear tire loose, and drift through it like a supermoto...
Come on, gimme a challenging question! :laughing:

But seriously downshift and brake with the rear... If you brake with the front on anything but a BMW it will try to stand the bike up through the corner and you'll just screw it up anyway. Trust me... haha
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Tennif Shoe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: VTX 1800c

#3 Unread post by Tennif Shoe »

drop a gear, and feed it more gas, you need to get to know the capabilities of your bike, ohhh and when you get done stop and get the seat uncrammed from your ***
03 Honda VTX 1800c
87 Yamaha TT350
86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (sold) Have fun in Mexico Mr. Vulcan!

YES my spellin sucks, get over it, or you can be my personal spell check

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#4 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Press hard and maintain speed and she'll pull through every time. You are the limiting factor. The front wheel is responsible for roughly 60% of your cornering traction. It's also your most effective brake. Utilize it and you stand a good chance of pushing yourself over the threshold.

At the same time if you're going to stop then use your brakes. Downshifting isn't nearly as precise and you don't want to drastically destabilize the motorcycle.

Of course you could have taken a variety of on or track cornering classes ranging from a track day to a total control class so you have extra tools in your toolbox to deal with situations like this.

The real question is how on earth did you enter a long sweeper turn too fast? Those suckers can't sneak up on you.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#5 Unread post by jstark47 »

I agree with Story, more or less.

I've been known to trail brake pretty deep into a corner. And I sometimes downshift at corner entrance - but can't see downshifting between corner entrance and apex. I'd have to do it exactly right, get the power back on completely smoothly... and I probably wouldn't. Too much chance of really upsetting the suspension doing that.

So I'll take my chances pushing it through. Get my weight waaayy down and waaay over. Relax everything else, get that inside elbow down and in, drop that shoulder, keep my eyesight waaaay up and out past the apex.... and push it through, baby, push it through. I'll take my chance with the lowside. Better that than brake too much, stand it up, run wide and smack into some solid object at God knows what speed.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

storysunfolding

#6 Unread post by storysunfolding »

jstark47 wrote:I agree with Story, more or less.

I've been known to trail brake pretty deep into a corner.
oh yeah. Trail brake to the apex. Load the front suspension for more cornering traction and sharper turn in then throttle out from the apex

going back to the old race saying "when in doubt throttle out"
My Blog

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by StillTry'n »

Thanks guys.....

Personally, I've got a lot of miles to go before I get this down without going down.

Unless I want to straighten up and stop in a turn I'm off the front brake: that's all I'm almost sure of.

Story: you're right about getting into a long sweeper too hot. I really meant the opposite and hitting something much tighter and unexpected.

Mostly I'm just pretty much dragging the rear brake and praying.

Yeah....."throttle out", I know.

Dan :roll: :roll:

storysunfolding

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Why are you dragging the rear?

My answer is the same for any type of turn
My Blog

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by StillTry'n »

story:

Help me (noob) out here, Buddy.

Explain in detail the difference in "dragging the rear" and "trail braking".

As long as I survive my too hot entrance I'm "sorta" OK....but maybe I need to learn a bit of the terminology, here, too.

Dan

:oops:

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by koji52 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but trail braking is the act of applying front brake to "push" the front tire into the asphalt, and gradually letting go of the brake as you approach the apex and then throttling out. Obviously, there's some risk in new riders trying this out on the street as you're liable to stand the bike up in the middle of a turn.

Dragging the rear is applying rear brake pressure (in any scenario, i guess). The risk here is lock-up in the rear and a likely low-side dump if you're not completely straight.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R