Too Hot in Turn

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#11 Unread post by jstark47 »

Koji is right. Trail braking is generally done with the front brake.

I'm amazed at the number of arguments on internet motorcycle forums about rear brakes that don't account for the difference in motorcycle type. The relative power and effectiveness of rear brakes and their correct use can vary a lot between cruisers at one extreme and supersport bikes at the other. So we can have a sportbike person and a cruiser person having heated argument about rear brakes, and both people can be correct for their type of bike.

Make no mistake: trail braking is an advanced technique, and can be very risky if not done right. My counsel to noobs is leave it alone. If you overcook a corner before you realize it, do like Storys said: lean that sucker over, maintain positive throttle pressure, and say a little prayer to the Gods of Rubber!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#12 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Sorry dan didn't realize that's what you thought. The post above almost has it right. Trail braking is carrying your braking to the apex. Turn in starts at about 70% of your braking and you trail off both brakes till the apex when you get back on the throttle.

Now as a caveat, this is an advanced technique. You end up carrying more speed into a trn which means a bigger lean angle. We are attuned to liking being straight up and perfectly horizontal. We've been traIned since birth that well fall over at a 45 degree angle. You need to practice leanng the bike in a parking lot until your comfy with lots of lean. Judging from this question my guess is that you need to work on that more.

The next point stated above is right. Using the brakes will Stand up the bike. You need to learn to counter that by adding more handgrip pressure to maintain your line. Finally you need a smooth transition from braking to getting back on the gas. None of this comes naturally and I highly recommend professional instruction then practice practice practice before using it with street riding
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#13 Unread post by koji52 »

Thanks for the info. I tend to follow the MSF slow before the turn and throttle through it. There's not much lean available to me on the V-rod so i've always adhered to slow before, maintain speed to apex and throttle out.

Since I've gotten the Buell and now have lean clearance, I'm very interested in learning the technique, or at least having an understanding of it so the additional info is welcome.
2008 HD VRSC-DX Night Rod Special
2008 Buell 1125R

storysunfolding

#14 Unread post by storysunfolding »

That's still the best way to take a turn but remember that's not the only MSf way. Slowing prior to the turn is taught exclusively in the brc and the erc. In the advanced course msrc and arc-st (same thing really) the msf teaches trail braking.

Another thing you might find interesting is that I picked up my cert to teach the msrc on a vrod. Actually most coaches picked it up on harleys which is what I believe led to creating the arc.

Take the msf arc-st or the total control clinic and you'll be amazed at what you can do on those bikes.

The brc is great but don't let the basic course be the end of your instruction.
My Blog

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#15 Unread post by koji52 »

Did you do get your cert on an R model or a stock model? I have a DX, lowered with a low exhaust and longer-than-stock aftermarket pegs so clearance is a bit different for me.

Regardless, I plan on taking an advanced course at some point, probably on the Buell. Thanks for the insight though.
2008 Buell 1125R

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#16 Unread post by StillTry'n »

Sorry dan didn't realize that's what you thought. The post above almost has it right. Trail braking is carrying your braking to the apex. Turn in starts at about 70% of your braking and you trail off both brakes till the apex when you get back on the throttle.
Please bear with me just this last time.....

1. Is trail braking using both brakes at the same time, for whatever period of time?

2. If so: just how does using the front brake while turning NOT stand up the bike?

3. OK (don't have a heart attack on me here, story) is the apex always going to be in the same place when turning either right or left? It is the point where you've reached the halfway in the turn? The most outside or most inside of the turn?

4. Yed indeed! The lean is crucial and I am getting much better.

Also I think you can think too much about this: meaning is it possible to be able to ride a bike real well and not know what the hell you are doing. As in a three year old kid who you see racing on mini sport bikes. S/he doesn't really know what is going on but is just doing it.

5. I'm NO kid and I do need to know what the hell I'm doing and this forum is great.

Dan :oops:

koji52
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#17 Unread post by koji52 »

I'll let those more knowledgeable answer your specific questions as I am no expert on the matter of trail braking. But I will point out that you don't have to be shy about asking questions here. This is a very safety oriented forum and a great source for technique/safety information. People here want you to ride well and not become a statistic so no need for apologies.
2008 Buell 1125R

storysunfolding

#18 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Not sure about the vrod since it was a rental but we ran a rocke through as well which had the lowest clearance as a guidelne.

To answer the questions

1: trail braking should be done with both brakes in unisonbut if you were to only use one then the front is the one to use.
Many people are too rough o the rear and can't/won't learn to attenuate correctly

2: using the brakes will stand up the bike. However you cabln counter this by applying more steering input to maintain your line

3: apexes are fluid based on conditions. They are typically midturn or in the case of a delayed apex a bit further. Some situations call for addng two apexes in a turn. You may not come all the way into an ideal apex point on the street. As an example in mountain riding I avoid getting too close to the double yellow on left ganders because people often cross those around blind turns
My Blog

StillTry'n
Regular
Regular

#19 Unread post by StillTry'n »

1: trail braking should be done with both brakes in unisonbut if you were to only use one then the front is the one to use.
Many people are too rough o the rear and can't/won't learn to attenuate correctly
I lied. I can't resist getting more input.

I have been doing this all wrong. The reason I have been on the rear (only) in the turns is that most of my riding has been learning to maintain balance of the bike in slow tight parking lot turns: such as motorcops do in competition.

And I have brought that braking habit to the roads and twisties.

I remember my MFS class stressing to stay off the front brake unless you are upright and going straight?

But according to the thread here is not correct.

So....before I go out and get hammered on the bends: tell me one more time, please. I should maybe drop a gear...use the front brake....and then throttle out to the exit?

I have been on the rear (I call it "dragging" the rear) and I should use both: but especially the front?

Thanks, Guys!

Dan :oops:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#20 Unread post by jstark47 »

Dan- how long have you been riding? And what kind of a bike do you ride? (There's a reason I'm asking about the bike.)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S