Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

Is this a dumb thought?

#1 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

I was wondering, if it would be wise and ok to start up my bike occasionally through the winter to boost up the battery instead of taking out the battery as it is kind of a pain in the butt to do so?

:oops:

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

Probably not the best idea if you can't actually get out and ride. Takes some juice to crank it up, and MC alternators don't put out much power at idle. Might be a better idea to spend twenty bucks on a battery tender.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#3 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Would be good for the fuel system. But the tender mg mentioned would be best for the battery. Unless you sat there and revved the engine for twenty minutes or so. But your neighbors might start bringing you AA information packets if you do that. :mrgreen:
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

To expand on what mgdavis said, Battery Tenders come with a pigtail wire that is installed across the battery; you can poke it out from underneath the seat and plug it in. Keeps the battery topped up all winter without you having to check on it every day.

As for starting up the bike every month that's generally not a good idea, especially if it is stored in an unheated garage. The heat/cool cycle will actually result in condensation forming inside the motor, which is not a good thing. If it is in a heated garage the condensation won't be an issue, but unless you need to hear the sound of the motor once a month in order to keep you sane over the winter season, all you're doing is wasting gas. Also, idling the bike for 20 minutes isn't going to help the battery much as most charging systens do not kick in until 1,500-2,000RPM which is most likely above the set idle speed.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#5 Unread post by slimcolo »

Just a note on battery tenders. The ones that hook up to more than one bike at a time will not work on more than one bike if they are both 12 and 6 volt, you will need two battery tenders. (or hook two 6v batteries togeather) Also when installing the wiring harness remember that a lot of English bikes are positive earth! Also don't forget to top up the battery before hooking to any charger.

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#6 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Thanks for the great tips. My garage is not heated, and with the nasty cold we have had out here on the prairies, it probably wouldent start anyway. :cry: Fireguzzi, my neighbors already think I am nuts so I have to keep up my reputation. :laughing:
Now with it being a british bike and being Positive ground, is there a different battery tender i should be using?

The reason I dont know any of this as I have never taken out my battery or tenderized it before and it always starts come spring. A friend suggested that I should be doing this to prolong the life of my battery.

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#7 Unread post by slimcolo »

No problem with pos earth just hook up backward, make sure that your bike is positive earth first. The new Triumphs are negative earth. (Not sure when they changed over but some English cars were still positive earth as late as the mid 90s) Some Honda bikes were still 6v as late as 2003, some China bikes still are. Russian bikes were fairly late to convert also. (Gummentie should know)There are also some 80s Hondas that are 12v but use two 6v batteries.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Triumphgirl wrote:Now with it being a british bike and being Positive ground, is there a different battery tender i should be using?
Your bike is NOT positive ground, it is negative ground. You ride a Hinckley built Triumph, not a Meridan built one... an '07 Bonneville, if I remember right. Hook up the Battery Tender as per the instructions that come with it.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

Gummiente wrote:You ride a Hinckley built Triumph, not a Meridan built one
The one that doesn't mark its spot? :lol:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

Gummiente wrote:
Triumphgirl wrote:Now with it being a british bike and being Positive ground, is there a different battery tender i should be using?
Your bike is NOT positive ground, it is negative ground. You ride a Hinckley built Triumph, not a Meridan built one... an '07 Bonneville, if I remember right. Hook up the Battery Tender as per the instructions that come with it.
Definitely follow Gummi's advice... Only older brit bikes are positive ground.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha