The Blog of Blues

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Backtracking a bit...doesn't anyone want to sell me a bike?

#11 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I mentioned earlier about the frutrating experiences of bike shopping. After I got my learner's permit, I started the process of looking at motorcycles. I had no preconceived ideas of what I would buy....except that I knew I did not want a sport bike.
My first stop was to Carter Honda by Granville Island. I was on my lunch break there and it seemed like a fine idea to go look in there. I wandered all through the new and used bikes outside......nobody came out to help me....I eventually went inside and spent considerable time looking at all the bikes......nobody would come and help me.....they were not busy.
The manager saw me about to walk out the door and made a quick beeline to me. Now, don't get me wrong.....I don't expect to be treated like the queen.....but I have worked in retail and ignoring people is not the way to make a sale. I explained that I was in the looking stage and that I would be buying a bike in the very near future.
The manager then made an effort to show me some bikes.

****Note to all bike shops****A person with a learner's permit is a potential good customer.

What's a good thing to do on a rainy day in the fall?.....Go bike shopping!

I went to a Suzuki dealer in Surrey and although it was a nice friendly family run business, they had almost no stock in the store. There was nothing for me to sit on and try on for size.

From there we headed down to Daytona because I had seen some ads for some used bikes they had.
Here is the impression I got from the salesguy there....I have a nice Triumph Rocket III that would be perfect for you. :roll: I think he would have sold me anything regardless of how unsuitable it would have been.

My friend and I then headed out to Coquitlam to the Carter Honda out there. We were looking at the bikes out in the lot..... in the rain......when eventually a salesguy....with a smoke in his hand.....came out to see if we would like some help.
My friend (who happens to be male) did the talking at first, but as soon as the salesguy knew the bike was for me, he turned away and went to someone else.....
but...but.....I have some questions.....
OK, so they don't want my cash.....there are plenty of bike shops in the lower mainland. I'll just have to keep looking.
I sure did like those Honda Shadows......

On to Richmond Motorsports....they have Hondas.....My friend and I must have spent close to half an hour in there sitting on different bikes....and guess what? Yes, you guessed it.....I was ignored.

I actually went to Richmond Motorsports twice and got met with the same "non interest".
I saw an ad a few weeks in a row for a demo model of a V-Star that was at Pacific Yamaha, so finally my friend and I made our way there.
:roll: It was sold about an hour before we got there. :roll:

The rest of the story has been told previously so I won't repeat it.

After I had my bike for a few weeks, and was getting in some riding time.....a lot of it in the rain.....I needed some cleaning supplies....so, off I go to Carter Honda at Granville Island ( because I was in the neighbourhood again and it was my lunch break).....
Can I get some help, please? Nada....nothing.....
Likewise when I was searching for a new helmet......You guessed it.....NOT ONE PERSON WOULD COME AND HELP ME.

I eventually ended up at Burnaby Kawasaki to buy my helmet. The staff in there are fairly helpful and although I go to Pacific Yamaha for bike stuff, the guys at Burnaby Kawasaki are helpful for accessories.

It has been an enlightening experience to realize some men are still in the dark ages when it comes to women and the fact that we make a large part of the buying public.

Ok, rant over.....back in the saddle......

blues2cruise

I've got my license....now what?

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I called Rally_Pro with the good news. Then I called my friend, dr_bar to tell him and he invited me for lunch to celebrate. I rode to Lougheed Mall to meet him where we spent some considerable time yakking about my road test. When I described the route I had been made to go, he said, "He sure put the screws to you. It sounds like he wanted you to fail."
(especially when you consider the easy route the other fellow had been taken on)
After I left dr_bar, I rode by my sister's work...Had to show off my interim class 6.
I didn't get a chance to ride the rest of the week due to work and the weather, but when the weekend came it was dry and clear again, so I headed out to my friend's in Poco. I was on my way home and I thought to myself, I wish I didn't have to end today and then I remembered.....
"I'm legal....I can stay out until after dark", so, I turned around and headed out the freeway to Langley. I was on a mission. I had a goal.

I needed for someone to see I didn't need him or his stupid control freak attitude. Childish? Maybe. Did it feel good? Yes.
After I dropped by his place to drop off something that he had left behind several months previous....( it gave me great pleasure to ring his intercom and have him come to the door and retrieve his belonging and see me in my riding gear, helmet and bike running at the road side....ok, immature, too, but, oh, so, satisfying :wink: )

I came home via #10 highway. Big mistake. I was used to coming that way in my car so it never occured to me that it would be unsuitable for a bike in the dark.....and it was dark.........v-e-r-y dark. Given that we had so much freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw, a lot of roads were getting potholes and I was a little concerned I might hit one.
However, I was very careful and made it home ok. If I had a reason to go out that was again, I would head back to #1, where there is more light to see better.

My next foray into the dark was to the bowling alley on Lougheed. Once again, I went the way I would normally go in a car....along Douglas....it was so dark and bumpy....
Needless to say, I went home another way. I learned from those 2 experiences that I will have to give some thought into the routes I use for riding at night.

I'd rather ride in the rain

During the rest of February and March I got in as much riding as I could to gain experience because I knew that soon I would be having my hand fixed and would not be able to use my hand for 2 months. :cry: I wanted to have a skill set firmly in place so that when I could get back to riding I would be good to go.

March 30-May 30...out of commission.

blues2cruise

Is the hand up to the task? I'm about to find out.

#13 Unread post by blues2cruise »

In the middle of May, I sat on my bike and attempted to lift it upright. My hand cannot even turn the key and straighten the handlebars. :cry:
So, I wait.
May 26, I attempt again. This time I can manage to get the bike upright and turn on the engine. I took the bike for a spin in the parking garage to see if my hand was up to the task of hanging on to the bike and controlling the throttle and brake. So far, so good. I will ask the hand therapist this afternoon what he thinks.
The therapist isn't too keen on the idea, but I say, what the heck. I got my gear on and took the bike out for a very short ride. I just went around the local area for 1/2 hour and came home. I felt quite good about the tiny excursion, but I will wait and see what the surgeon has to say.
The next week on June 7, it was a visit to the surgeon for a follow up. I asked him if it was ok to ride. I was concerned that if I was riding too soon my hand would have a set back or slow the healing process. He said I could ride...if I was safe.....and no, riding would not slow the healing process....BUT....I would probably be sore. He said the vibrations would probably cause some swelling and soreness but it would not be detrimental. He suggested ice and anti-inflammatories if needed.

Wahoo! :D I got clearance to ride.....as long as I felt safe....

I started going for very short rides just to start gaining some strength back into the hand. The doctor was right....my hand is swolllen and sore....so, I'm not overdoing it....just going for short rides and working up to some longer ones.
dr_bar and I went to Tsawassen and back one day. It turned out to be longer than expected and my hand was sure feeling it. But, it was better than the last time, so I feel encouraged.

I decided to go up the coast. This would be a good test for my hand. I managed quite well, all things considered. The packing, getting the gear strapped to the bike ( that part is still hard ) 1/2 hour ride to the ferry and then on the other side another hour ride.
The next day was the fateful day when the family friend up the coast decided to accompany me to the ferry. I don't need to go into detail here. The story is in the How Do You Handle Twisty Road thread in the Beginner Biker forums.
I continued to work on building stamina and then one day honda599, dr_bar and myself went for a ride. We met at the Mohawk station close to home ( sort of central for the 3 of us ) and honda599 made an executive decision as to where to ride. The ride was supposed to be just a couple of hours long......6 hours later I got home.....I guess time flies when you're having fun.
I outlined that day in the twisty road thread also.

On June 26, I rode out to Maple ridge for an annual "celebrate summer" barbecue. I knew there would be people there who would want to see my new bike, so I spent some considerable time washing, drying and polishing the bike before I left home. Have to keep up appearances, you know. :wink:

"What's this, now that you ride a motorcycle you wear all black?"
"No, I've always worn black clothes."
"I've never seen you in black." "I've seen you in colour."
"Bonehead.....that's because you have only ever seen me at work where we wear a blue uniform. :roll:
"Oh, right....yeah, I guess it is blue I see you in all the time."

"What's with the boots?"

sigh.....what is wrong with these people?
I left there early...I get tired of being given a hard time...who needs it. I told them I wanted to get home by dark, so I made my escape.
I was glad to be on the road again. It was such a lovely evening.

June 30, I decide to make another visit to my Mom. With the long weekend coming up I decided to go on Thursday...ahead of the major holiday traffic and come back Saturday...ahead of the major coming home traffic.
I packed my gear and got it cargo netted to the bike and headed out to the ferry. I left earlier than usual just in case there was extra volume. When I got to the ferry terminal was when I found out about the ferry crash. The ferry crashed at 10 that morning and I arrived at noon. It was soon evident that we would not be going anywhere anytime soon.
There were some other bikers there who were travelling from Alberta. They were having a slow tour around. We chatted for awhile and then some more bikers arrived .
I remembered a thread in the Ladies Lounge about "Evil looks from non-biking women", so I made an effort to be friendly to the 2 women who were riding pillion behind their men. The men were friendly and chatty to me and I didn't want their women getting upset with me. :wink:

I helped an old lady find her vehicle and while we were walking we saw our "Premier we love to hate" also stuck in the ferry line.
:mrgreen: :laughing: :lol: :twisted: It was like a consolation prize knowing he was stuck, too. Although I was tempted to ask for a refund just for having to be on the same ferry as he. I did not vote for that man. I, along with a lot of common folk, despise that man.
After a few hours of standing around in the sun ( I should thank BC Ferries for the tan :roll: ) an announcement was made that we would soon be able to begin boarding.
All of a sudden some rude guy on a bike ( he came later than all of us and was behind us) started up his bike and roared up to the front of the line and barged right in front of me. jerk! When we finally got the green light to board he roared on ahead like none of us were there. It's guys like him who give bikers a bad name. We were all going to get on the ferry, for crying out loud.....He wasn't much better when it was time to disembark....He tried to nudge in front of the other 2 bikers who had been at the front of the line but I don't think they like what he had done on the other side, so they moved their bikes up just enough so he couldn't barge in ahead of them to get off first. Sheesh....we were all stuck over there....we all had places to go and people waiting for us.....

The ride up the coast was pleasant...not much traffic....so no pressure for me to try to take the corners too fast. They are v-e-e-e-r-r-r-y tight curves.
Guess what....Dan was waiting at my Mom's....he wanted to say hi and see me and my bike....and give me a hard time...yet again about the braking cornering thing...( in the twisty road thread ) and give me a hard time about my helmet. I wear a full face, he has a beanie.
Once again, I tell him to ride his own ride and I'll ride mine.

The next evening at a barbecue, this person starts giving me the gears again....what is it with this person....
Now, if he was right, I could accept what he has to say and leave it at that. But, in this case, he is trying to push me beyond my ability and comfort level and that is just plain wrong. Plus, I am riding the way I was taught....by the professionals. ( Not to mention that he has had his own share of crashes over the years....and has lots of stories about some of the crazy things he used to do on bikes....and he thinks I should listen to what he has to say? :roll: )
When he started yelling at me and swearing at me, I yelled and swore right back at him...He finally went away. I cancelled the ride we had previously planned. I told him I would not ride anywhere with anyone who would talk to me like that. I wasn't sure if he would still turn up the next day....it would have been just like him to think there was nothing wrong and still show up....so I left my Mom's an hour earlier than needed.
OK, call me a chickensh*t, but I couldn't deal with any more confrontation and I needed to be able to focus on riding back down that twisty road.

As luck would have it there was almost zero traffic and when I got to the ferry there was an unscheduled boat about to leave. We were under sail about ten minutes after I arrived. After the extreme wait on Thursday, this was a nice little bonus.
It was good to get home.......I had much to do as I was scheduled to go back to work on Monday after 3 months off. It would not be an easy week.

coming up.....Seymour and Cypress Mountain.

blues2cruise

twisties with an altitude

#14 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Now that my hand is starting to get a bit stronger, I feel motivated to ride somewhere a little more challenging. dr_bar and I decide to take a ride to Seymour Mountain in North Vancouver.

This will be my first mountain ride.

We are making our way along Hwy #1 towards the 2nd Narrows Bridge. When I got to where the HOV lane ends, I decide to change lanes...to the slow lane....I looked in the mirror....I signalled....I shoulder check....there is nothing....I move from position 1 to position 3 first before the actual lane change.....my signals are on, I look again and still there is nothing.....just as I move from position 3 to make the actual lane change....holy crumb...where the heck did he come from? There was an Intrepid going wa-a-a-a-y-y-y-y over the speed limit passing me on my right. I held my position hovering on the line...look again and...whoa....there's another one in hot pursuit.....
The lessons I learned from my Rally-pro instructor and the fact that I actually put them into practice just saved my life....These 2 cars had been in the farthest most right lane which would be ending in a few hundred more metres....instead of going behind me to get into the passing lane, they chose to pass me on my right and cut me off in front of me..... :shock:
We rode to the mountain via the Seymour Parkway and started our ascent of the mountain. On the way up I noticed a couple of deer munching happily along the roadside. I think they are quite used to traffic along here because Seymour is a popular year round destination. Hikers go there in the summer and skiers in the winter. It is also common to see cyclists riding up and down ( more like coasting down ) the road.

After arriving at the top we took a little look around the area and headed back down. There is only a small view on the way down because the rest of the way is in trees. "Watch for bears." Bears are commonly seen up here. We came back via Deep cove and the Dollarton Hwy to the 2nd Narrows Bridge to start making our way to our respective homes.
As we were coming through the Cassiar tunnel, in the slow lane, I notice a car crossing the solid white triangle coming into my lane......I look in my mirror....nothing....I signal...look again....I shoulder check....all the while the left signal is on....I am accelerating because I am about to go into the passing lane to avoid the guy entering the freeway illegally

I moved from position 1 to position 3 in the passing lane and shoulder checked again....did I mention there had been nothing there....the lane was empty.....even dr_bar riding staggered behind me was in the process of making the move to the passing lane.....OMFG...scr-e-e-e-ech The sound of the screech made me look again and out of nowhere a red car appeared. I stayed hovering near the line in position 3.....the red car had been travelling so fast it appeared out of nowhere, so to speak. The speed limit over the bridge is 70kmh....but because I was accelerating to go into the passing lane, I was probably over 90. I'd guess the red car was doing double the limit......At the last second he saw me and screeched his brakes. I think I saw smoke coming from them. It's a good thing I wear bright yellow. It's a good thing I practice what I learned.....dr_bar said the guy who had entered the freeway illegally, (the one who I had to move over to avoid ) had eyes like :shock: I held my line...I didn't make any sudden moves....
When I knew the red car was stable and not going to try something else stupid, I moved over to position 1. dr_bar moved over behind the red car.
When it was safe for me to do so, I moved back to the slow lane.
As the red car then came by me in the passing lane, I fully expected him to give me the finger or make some caustic remark, but I think he knew how close he came to causing a horrible accident....I think he realized that close call was his fault. I flipped him the bird instead. :wink:
As we approached where 1st Avenue enters the freeway, I moved back to the passing lane...so many cars entering there.....just around the bend is the HOV lane anyway.....I got into the HOV lane and dr_bar sped up in the passing lane to get along side of me......"Are you ok?", he asked.
Today, instead of us parting ways at the Canada Way exit of the freewy, dr_bar accompanied me home. I think he wanted to make sure I was ok....so we had a bite to eat and a chat about what happened. I asked him if he thought there was anything I could have done to prevent that near disaster. I thought maybe my depth perception was off....
"No", he said, "If it wasn't you, the red car would have done the same thing to the car in front of you......We went through the whole scenario several times...."could it have been my fault?", I kept wondering.
dr_bar assured me it was not me. I guess he should know since he was behind me and saw the whole thing.
2 close calls in one day? It's a good thing I was home now, cuz don't things come in threes?

A couple of weeks later, we decided to go to Cypress Mountain. dr_bar only has a little time available before he has to head off to work , so we go directly to the mountain...via the circuitous route. :wink:
I found Cypress a little bit more challenging than Seymour mainly because of the extra tight hairpin turns that seemed to have some gravel on them. Along the way to the top, we passed an empty parking lot near the summit that was being used for a bunch of guys in muscle cars wasting a lot of gas and laying a lot rubber and making a lot of noise.
scre-e-e-ech
I bet the wildlife likes that. :roll: At least they were in an empty lot and not on congested city streets. Alas, the noise was too much for the park rangers....a park truck was on its way down to send them on their way.

Note....the cafe/pub/or whatever it is called was open. It used to be open only in winter. Given the time constraints today we opted to make our way down and stop at the viewpoint instead.
Hmmmm, I remember when you could actually see the city from here. Some of the trees have grown so tall and lush over the years you can't see much of the city.

Unlike the previous ride, this ride was uneventful......uneventful is good.....

But, soon it is time to head home. An ominous black cloud is hovering overhead.....Oh my...
Just as we neared the HOV lane, it was as if someone had slit open the black cloud with a big knife.....it poured so hard it felt like hail.....
At our usual going our separate ways place, I exited the freeway barely able to see. It eased up a bit as I neared home, though, but I was already drenched by then.
.....and this time the rain was not my fault....someone else must have washed their bike that day. :laughing:

soon to come....Whistler and the Sea2Sky[/b]

blues2cruise

Rain, rain, go away-We're riding Sea 2 Sky today

#15 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Saturday, June 16...I have bribed dr_bar to ride with me to the bike shop....so I can get a ride back.....there is no bus on weekends and it's a ve-e-e-r-r-r-y long walk to the nearest bus stop.
"You busy on Saturday?"
"No, what did you have in mind?"
"I'll take you to breakfast if you can come over and ride with me to the motorcycle shop."
"And then what?"
What a leading question. :wink:
"Wel-l-l....If they are finished looking for and fix the squeak early we can ride to Whistler"....."Whaddya think?"
"Maybe", he says.

dr_bar arrived at 8:30 so we could be at the bike shop for opening. I had just brought my bike out from the parking garage and out into the cul-de-sac.....drip....drip....drip.... :shock: What are those drops on the windshield? When did it start raining? It had been nice out earlier.

dr_bar donned his raingear while I went back inside for mine. We left my bike at the shop and made our way 2 up to the Flying Beaver. It's a pub/restaurant at the south airport. On the way we encountered yet another monsoon like rain. After breakfast we went browsing in a bike scrap/parts/repair shop. He found what he was looking for. A miracle if you ask me....I don't know how he spotted what he was looking for the place was in such dissaray and filthy.
While we were browsing, my cell phone jangled....It was the bike shop....my bike was ready to go....It was only 11am.....

The rain had stopped by the time we came out of the bike shop.....decison time.....where did we want to ride.
I took a wander past the building to see how far I could see clear sky.....
"I can see the North Shore Mountains." :) "There's some blue patches looking north".
"dr_bar gave me a sideways look and said, "You thinking whistler?"
"Why not?", I reply. "If it starts to get bad, we can turn around and come back."
"Besides, we are dressed for the weather." :mrgreen:

"True enough. Ok, let's go, but first I have to drop off this replacement seat. I'll meet you at 8 Rinks."

We parted ways for an hour and met again at 8 Rinks. It is a convenient meeting place because it is right beside a freeway entrance.
While I am standing at the hockey arena waiting for dr_bar, the sun came out in all it's glory.
Note to self.....you must get a lighter weight jacket for motorcycling. It was suddenly so hot.
dr_bar finally arrived and we headed off over the Iron worker's Memorial Bridge ( 2nd narrows ) to follow Upper Level's towards Horseshoe Bay. To go to Squamish and Whistler we left the highway at exit 2 and dropped to the speed limit of 50. It's only 50 for a short time before it jumps up to 80kmh.
There have been many stories over the years about this highway. It has oft been called the killer highway. There have been a lot of fatalities on this highway and you will always read about how dangerous it is.
BUNK!
I have driven up that highway plenty of times in a car and a couple of times a bus. The highway is good.....if you follow the posted signs

The speed signs are there for a reason.

As is our usual, I set the pace....I don't know what happened to me today. It was like something clicked and I found my rhythm. The traffic was light and moving along at a quick pace....and I was keeping up. (There will always be people wanting to pass no matter how fast you go, so, I always move to the right when I get to a passing lane)

I was taking the curves on the road like I had been riding for years. My shifting was perfect and acceleration brisk. I threw caution to the wind today and was riding faster than my usual speed limit. ( I'm sure dr_bar enjoyed the quicker pace for a change instead of doggedly plodding along at the speed limit :wink: ).
We stopped in at Shannon Falls for a quick look at the waterfall. The trees have grown so tall, you need to walk along the path for a few minutes to get a good look. After leaving the falls we then stopped in Squamish for a short coffee break.
When we got off the bikes, dr_bar commented to me that he had been wondering what got into me. He said "You must be really feeling confident about your skills today. I couldn't believe how you were taking those curves!"
He then commented, "I don't know what the h**l problem your friend up the coast has. There's nothing wrong with the way you handle these roads."
"Why, thank you, dr_bar. And he's not my friend....he's my Mom's friend....."
"Well, he's got rocks in his head, your riding is fine. But, I don't want you pushing yourself to go too fast just for me."
"Don't worry", I reply, "I'm not feeling pushed. I'm just really enjoying the road."
We carried on to Whistler. I was feeling so much in control....I was focused on the road ahead...must have going around 90kmh....just came around a bend....it's straightened out a bit now.....WTF....a stinkin' motor home pulled out.....I throttle down and gear down....now we're going about 60kmh......did he not look and notice there was a long line of vehicles coming his way?....idiot. Thankfully he didn't travel very far before he realized he was holding up the flow of traffic....he pulled over to let us go by....I gave him a little "toot, toot" as I went by, to say thanks.

We are now in whistler.( where they desparately need some designated bike parking, so you don't have to cruise all the way through the gravel lots looking for a parking space )

After a walk through the village and a stop to watch the mountain bikers coming down the mountain we decide to head back. Since we got a late start there wasn't much time to linger. We fuelled up at the Husky on the way down...be very careful when you make your right turn to go into the Husky. It's a solid white line along the shoulder right until the light. for those that forget...it is illegal to cross a solid white line or to drive in the paved shoulder or to pass on the right. We had our signals on to turn right, and just as we were about to make the turn, a guy in a black jeep came barreling down the shoulder on our right and made the right turn. It's a good thing we shoulder checked.

"You hungry?"
"Mmmm, peckish." "You?"
"Getting that way." "You want to head straight back to town or stop in Squamish for supper?"
"Your choice".
I figure we could make it back to town, but as we neared Squamish, I realize I should eat. There was still an hour of winding highway to ride and it wouldn't be wise to be "riding empty", so to speak.
We pulled in to the Howe Sound Brewing Company to go to the North Beach Grill for supper.
"Can I get you something to drink?", the waiter asked. " A glass of wine or a beer, maybe?"
"We're riding motorcycles, so no alcohol for us."
The waiter smiled....a very understanding smile...."How about an iced tea, then?"
Perfect.
After dinner and coffee, we headed back down the highway towards Vancouver. We stopped only once for a view point. I was focusing only on the road and could not afford any peeks at the scenery so we stopped by the road side to enjoy the vista before us.

We went our usual separate ways at my freeway exit and as soon as I got in I phoned dr_bar to thank him for an awesome day.
He has ridden that highway plenty of times, but this was my first time and I felt exhilerated by my experience today.

I found that this road was not as difficult to ride as I had imagined. It could be because I have been riding up and down the Sunshine Coast highway quite a bit and I gained some valuable skills from there. I have to say, that the Sunshine Coast Highway is actually more difficult to ride than the Sea 2 Sky.
Next trip....Victoria....and some surrounding twisties....

blues2cruise

Bikes and BC Ferries

#16 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Tuesday morning (July 19), is the day I am finally getting to Victoria to visit a friend for a couple of days. To get there requires a ferry ride. I left home at 7:35 to insure I had lots of time to get there. It's a good thing I did leave lots of time, because being a weekday, I had to contend with the morning rush hour traffic. (which I had not thought about it until I saw the line of cars)
As I was coming along 20th Street to make the approach to the Queensborough Bridge, I saw the line. The ve-e-e-e-r-r-r-y long line of cars waiting to go to the bridge.
Now, I'm sure by now anyone who reads this blog has figured out a little bit about me. Generally, I go the speed limit, follow the rules, wait my turn in line......As I look down that line of cars, I think to myself, "I'll never get to the ferry on time if I have to wait in that line." (like I usually would)
So, I did what most people would like to do....I just don't usually have the courage.....I stayed in the left lane until near the beginning of the line.....there's a painted "No man's land triangle" there.....put my right turn signal on and edged onto the triangle and slightly into the right lane. If I had waited my turn today it would have been several light changes before I would have got to this spot.
When the light changed I slipped in and made the light onto Marine to get access to the bridge. It was a slow ride to get to Hwy 91 (commonly known as the "East/West Connector") and slow going for awhile once on the connector. I think someone at the front of the traffic must have still been asleep. It's a 90kmh road and not very congested....ah, finally whoever was holding things up must have moved because suddenly we're zooming along at 90....
The exit from 91 and the entrance to Hwy 99 to go to the ferries is a couple long sweeping curves....fun if there's no tourist in front of you. When on 99 you can get into the HOV lane if it's really congested ( usually the afternoon rush hour )and head towards the tunnel. This morning the counter flow is in effect so that means there is only one lane going my direction. It doesn't take long, though, to get to the tunnel and once in the tunnel, the speed picks up.
The exit for Hwy 17 comes up soon, so make sure you stay in the right lane for the exit to the ferries. Finally the traffic has thinned out....it's a Tuesday morning, so the ferry lineup won't be horrendous today.
After I pay and get directed to the proper lane, I start my slow ride along the empty lane to gain access to the front of the line. As I ride along between the rows of cars, there is a couple walking along the right side of this empty lane. As I approach....very slowly.....she turns and looks at me...and just as I am about to go past her on the left, she jumps in front of me to go to the left. :roll: I had to brake and stop. I just shook my head at her. I think she realized after the fact what a stupid thing she had done because she made sort of an "I'm sorry" gesture. All I could do was shake my head at the stupidness of it. "Why?" "What was she thinking?"
Oh, well, onward to the front. Soon there were a few more bikers who had arrived. A young fellow on his Yamaha sport bike, a couple of older couples on their GoldWings.....When it was time to load, I gestured for the young guy on the sport bike to go ahead of me.
The ferry trip is 1-1/2 hours and is a very scenic cruise to get to Vancouver Island. Especially the part through Active pass. This is a particularly narrow channel through the Gulf Islands where the ferries often cross paths going opposite directions.
The whistle blows to make sure small boaters get out of the way.....It is gorgeous here on this clear sunny morning.

After we get off the ferry....the young fellow on his sport bike was gone in a flash... this is where one really needs to be careful because a lot of people don't obey any traffic laws at all.....I am behind some big truck, so I put on my signals and shoulder check so I can change lanes and pass the truck....I am on the line in the processing of changing lanes....when the person on the Goldwing Aspencade came into view....man, oh man, he was travelling too fast......he had no intention of letting me complete my lane change.....I let him pass me and then I moved into the left lane. Interestingly enough, he never got into the dominant position ( line 1) he stayed close to the right side of the lane, so I rode somewhat staggered behind him in the dominant position. May as well take advantage of him leading the way.....
At every light he kept looking in his mirror at me...Do you think he was bugged by my following him? I wasn't following close staggered like you would with a buddy.
Eventually he started going too fast for my liking , so I got into the right lane and let him disappear from my view.
I can't find my friend's place. I have followed her instructions but I just cannot find the street. Eventually I saw a city parking checker on a scooter. I asked him if he knew the street. He did and was able to point me in the right direction.
I arrived at my friend's at 11:30 and at 11:31 her friend and neighbour arrived....."Did I see someone go by on a Harley?", he asked.
"No, it's a Yamaha", I replied.
"It looks like a Harley", he says.
Personally, I don't think it looks anything like a Harley.
This friend and neighbour of hers rides a Goldwing.....that should have been my first clue....but I'm a slow learner sometimes.....
We had some long discussions about biking and that I'm a new rider and that I like to ride close to the speed limit. yadda, yadda, yadda.....
We arranged for a ride the next morning. He would take my friend with him on his bike and I would follow along on my bike.
Sigh.....
As soon as he didn't bother to stop at the first stop sign I knew this was going to be a difficult ride.
Oh, yeah, I actually stop at stop signs.
I spent a good portion of the ride playing catch up.
He led the way to some very twisty roads. You will find them in the Destination Highways book for British Columbia. Pages 50-60.

I should rephrase and say he led me to the beginning of the road, because he was gone in a flash. I rode most of those winding roads alone. He knows those roads really well. I have never been there. Some of those curves are very tight and blind.....you have no idea what may be around there so I had to take the corners at the suggested speeds.

Once in a while, he would pull over and wait for me to catch up to them, but then he would be gone again. Oh well, he'll just have to pull over and wait until I catch up again......
If you go to the island and need a twisty road to ride, these roads will fulfill your needs...Prospect Lake Road, Kangaroo Road, Millstream....
the area called the Highlands....we went through Langford, Metchosin, Colwood (where we stopped for breakfast), Sooke, Saanich. We went through forests and along the ocean.
It was nearly impossible to ride staggered with this person. At some lights he would stop in the centre of the lane, so I couldn't pull up beside him. then at the other stops he would pull up to within inches of the car in front of him...so I stayed well back. It's not good to pull up right behind another vehicles bumper....you need a safety cushion......
When we were riding along, he would suddenly put on his blinker and squeeze in between some cars to make his lane change....now I'm having to change lanes a few cars behind.....It's a good thing my friend was wearing a red helmet....it was easy to spot up in the distance.

We went through a construction zone and I got the STOP sign flashed at me by the flag person. So, while I am waiting for the flag person to let me go, the other person is still on his merry way.....
The whole ride was like this, him following too close, stopping too close, abrubt lane changes and leaving me in the dust....or at least a few cars lengths behind...he barely slowing for stop signs.....
Eventually we were back at my friend's place.....
"Thanks for playing tour guide", I say. "What a great ride."

in my head I'm thinking, please go home now

I was leaving soon, anyway, so I collected my gear and got my cargo net in preparation for leaving.

Where did those greasy finger smears come from? I washed and polished my bike the day before....my friend was seeing my bike for the first time and I wanted it to look good. Now there was greasy fingers smears all across the gas tank....sigh......

As I am cargo netting my duffle bag onto the rack I think to myself....
Soon....I will get saddle bags, soon.....

Where the heck did that come from? There is gum on the chrome. I pulled over thinking that I would pull it off.
BIG MISTAKE. It is so hot it just stretches and smears over more of the chrome. I decided I better leave it and deal with it when I get home.....when the bike is cool.

I didn't plan on catching the 2pm ferry, so, I was riding along in the slow lane doing the speed limit....just enjoying the day....I decide I actually like riding alone. Shortly before the last stretch to the ferry there is an overhead lighted sign that informs you if the ferry is full or if you will have to wait. The sign said the ferry was only 45% full and no waits...I looked down at my $4.00 clock that I have on the triple tree....1:40pm. Hmmmm, it would be a shame to be this close and not get on that boat.....So-o-o-o-o, I wind up the throttle a bit and hope there's no police around.
I made it! I paid for my ticket and made my way to the front. 5 minutes later we were boarding.
Sometimes I wonder about the ferry workers. As I am approaching the ferry deck, I am looking at the ferry worker for direction. Should I go left or right? At the last second I was directed to go right.
Do I have to stop right in front of you and ask? Sheesh.
2 had been directed left and the one on front of me had been directed right. So, now I follow the guy who went right and I get to the front of the ship, I was now directed to go to the left.
Make up your minds people. :roll:

You sure do meet some interesting people on the ferry rides sometimes. Here I was sitting minding my own business.....the ferry only half full....lots and lots of empty seats....he chose to come and sit with me.
:roll: did he just need to talk? was he just wanting to share his adventure story? was he trying to pick me up? he was wearing a wedding ring and if I had been receptive he might have asked for my number....but I guess when I turned down his offer of coffee....
Finally it's time to go down to the vehicle deck to prepare for disembarking. The two young fellows who were there on their Harley Davidson motorcycles were having a "paid day" to go to Victoria. They have a client who asked them to come over on their bikes. Who in their right mind would turn that down? I chatted with them a few minutes before it was time to leave. One of fellows had crashed his own sport bike and he was riding a loaner from the other one's Dad. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but would you be inclined to lend someone your 1200cc Harley to someone who you know had crashed?

After travelling along Hwy 17 to the exit to go home, I look over to the freeway and see that traffic is backed up way before the tunnel. DANG! The afternoon counterflow must be on and that means only one lane heading North....so....wait a minute....I can go home River Road. :mrgreen: Thanks to having been riding with dr_bar, I remembered having gone this way before. Instead of making the right turn to go on the freeway, I stay straight and ride along River Road.
I am hoping I have enough fuel to get home and not have to switch to reserve.
I've never gone to reserve yet. What if it malfunctions? How do I know it's really going to work? I look up at the Alex Fraser Bridge and wonder," Do I have enough fuel to get all the way over the bridge?" I probably do, but I decide not to risk it and after I turned onto Nordel I decide to stop in at the gas station. I'll find out another day exactly how many km I can go on a tank of gas.....better safe than sorry....I can't imagine running out of fuel on the bridge where it's a 90kmh zone in rush hour and most people are flying by at over 100kmh...

Just one more rush hour hurdle to get through....the access to the Queensborough Bridge. Finally I am on the home stretch and safe and sound in my parking garage. As I take the cargo net off my duffel, I notice the strap on the duffel is coming loose.
Hmmmm, maybe this is the excuse I need to get out the credit card and get serious about saddle bags.....they are just so darn expensive....

Soon, though.....

Now what do I do about the gum.....

blues2cruise

I'm almost caught up with my adventures on 2 wheels

#17 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Given that dr_bar and I had a plan to go for a ride on Friday, I was not expecting to be out today. This morning while "writing my memoirs" ( the blog ) and connected to the internet, dr_bar was apparently calling and leaving a few messages. Finally his last call booted me off the internet....only I didn't realize it. I was surprised to hear my phone ring. I had just spent a good deal of time writing and before I could post it, My connection was severed. DANG!
dr_bar was on the phone....it's a nice day....the forecast for tomorrow is not so great....maybe today would be a better day for a ride.
"OK", I say, "ring the intercom and I will let you in."
I quickly got dressed and geared up and went to the garage to get my bike. As is usual the conversation started like this, "Where do you want to go today?"
Why is it so hard for us to make a decison?
We decided on Stanley Park and Marine Drive and then Horseshoe Bay for lunch.
We rode along Kingsway and dang.....there's another truck. I don't know what it is, but I sure do seem to end up behind a truck a lot.

There's an opening so we change lanes to get to the front of the next lane. The light is still red and the dump truck beside me is constantly edging forward. I honked my "tiny" little horn. He looked out and down at me whereupon I pointed that the light is still red.

We had a pleasant ride through the city and then onto the Burrard Bridge to cross False Creek. We turned right at the end of the bridge and then right again to gain access to Beach Avenue. This is my favourite part.....it's a playground zone....for a lo-o-o-on-n-n-ng time....30kmh
I am at the front of the line and I am going 30kmh....the whole way :twisted: . It messes with people's minds. It ticks a lot of people off, but, what the heck, I am allowed to be legal. :laughing:

We had a nice cruise around Stanley Park (the speed limit is still 30kmh) and took the exit for the Lion's Gate Bridge. We headed through Ambleside, Dundarave and beyond to Horseshoe bay via Marine Drive. The speed limit is 50kmh with the exception of a short stretch that slows to 30kmh.
In my mirror I can see a 4x4 SUV or pickup too close to dr_bar. The driver of the truck kept swaying to the centre line and moving up too close to dr_bar, so when I could finally find a place to pull in, I did so. We let this overly aggressive driver go past and then continued on to Horseshoe Bay. We lucked out and found free parking right across the street from the restaurant. After lunch we got a coffee from the local roaster and "drank in the views while we drank our brews". :)

Soon it was time to head back. dr_bar has to get home to sleep. A ferry has just come in so dr_bar says to hurry up so we can make it to the highway before the cars unload. OK, I make haste and really boogie up the hill. In my mirror I see dr_bar pulling off. Oh, oh....has he got engine trouble or something....
I pull over and wait...finally I see him heading up the hill and he pulls in, too. He had left something behind in the restaurant. :oops:
So much for getting ahead of the ferry traffic. "Ok", I say, "let's just go to the next exit and head back."
After dr_bar went into the restaurant and found what he had lost, we headed back to the highway. We were right in the thick of several hundred off loading vehicles. OK, no more sedate riding allowed. I can ride assertive when I need to to ( I just usually choose not to). After merging into the flow I look for a gap and put on my signal to make a lane change. I throttle up and accelerate and merge smoothly into the passing lane. ( dr-bar has told me never to worry about him....he has a more powerful bike and wa-a-a-y-y-y more experience....he will get in with me sooner or later.)
Sometimes dr_bar changes lanes before I do and then makes a gap for me. 8) Thanks, dr_bar.

We travelled along the highway and over the 2nd Narrows Bridge and get slowed down at the usual place from the tunnel to the HOV lane. After that it's smooth sailing....sort of....At out usual "going our own way" place on the highway, I need to get assertive to get out of the HOV in preparation for my exit. One of these days I won't be able to make my exit and I will have to go past and double back. If drivers wouldn't tailgate it wouldn't be such a challenge to change lanes. But, I am a professional driver....I can handle it.... :wink:

I decided I better head over to Lordco to see if they have anything that will remove gum from the chrome. Nope. So, over to Canadian Tire.

I walked in the door with my small black rack bag over my shoulder.
"Excuse me", I hear. "Will you give me your bag, please?"
:shock:

I replied, "No, I can shop somewhere else." I turned around and walked out. There are women shopping in there who have purses bigger than my little black bag, for crying out loud.
I then headed over to Rona ( it's a home and hardware store) where I was able to find some Goo-Gone. The label says it will remove gum....so here's hoping.
That was a couple of hours ago. The bike should be cool by now....so here's hoping....wish me luck.....

blues2cruise

New name for WD40....Gum-B-Gone

#18 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Who knew it could be so easy to get chewing gum off the chrome? I was fretting for nothing. I could have saved a few bucks, as well.
The WD 40 worked like a charm. I tired it on a small spot of gum and WOW! it just dissolved the gum.
I have another product that I use for cleaning my mountain bike that I wanted to try. It is called Finish Line EcoTech. It is a cleaner/degreaser and biodegradable. It also worked to remove the gum. lastly, since I had already paid for the Goo-Gone, I tried it also. It, too did the job.
After getting all the gum off, I finished up with some chrome polish and now the chrome is looking showroom new again.

Tomorrow....Sunshine Coast Highway....

blues2cruise

Thunder shower forecasted...in raingear again....

#19 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Call it insurance.....the raingear may be a bit bulky and warm for summer riding, but when you leave home at 6:10am it feels ok. I was heading for the first ferry to Langdale this morning for a quick trip up the coast to visit my Mom. She needed help with a baking project for the "Ladies Auxilliary" event tomorrow.

When I arrived at the ferry there was V-Strom with Ontario plates on it but no rider. He was probably in the passenger lounge snoozing. At 6:45am, can't say's I blame him. A few minutes after I arrived a young man on his "not really a sport bike" Honda ( that's what he called it) arrived. He was in full leathers with knee caps and racing boots to boot. ( a groaner, I know) He was so very chatty and knew everything there was to know about everything.
Judging by the way he talked, I was quite sure he was a speedy kind of a guy, so when we got on board the ferry, I motioned for him to pass me and park ahead of me. The rider of the V-Strom had not appeared by loading time....we were hoping that someone would go find him. The ferry people usually make an announcement (quite loud) for all drivers to return their vehicles, but there was no such announcement this morning.
I walked to the stern of the ship to have a look and I could see the rider of the V-strom hurriedly donning his gear to be able to ride on board the ship. He would be last off, but at least he was on the ferry.

As I suspected, when it was time to disembark, the fellow on his "not really a sport bike" Honda, was off like a "bat out of he*l." I could see him quite far up the bypass as I approached the bypass. I never saw him again after Gibson's.

I stopped in Sechelt to fuel the bike...and buy a lottery ticket.....maybe I won't have to go work on Monday... :wink: ...hey, we all gotta have dreams :laughing: and then carried on to my destination. My Mom should just be starting to cook breakfast about now...

It was a good ride today. Quite a bit of traffic and it was moving well. Must not be any tourists in this bunch this morning. Just wait until the 9:30 ferry, though. I kept pace with the flow of traffic today but I always moved over to the right when there is a passing lane....even though we are speeding, there's always a few who need to go faster.

Today I only pulled over once...when I got the really twisty part a guy in a big white 4x4 pickup was gaining on me at an alarming pace....as soon as I found a place I could pull over, I did so....Even though I was maintaining the speed limit, he apparently was in a much bigger hurry than I. (and I don't need the stress and pressure of someone tailgating)

I found I rode this highway better today than before. Of course having the road dry made a huge difference. But, also my riding skills are getting better.
One hour after getting off the ferry I have arrived. Coffee is ready and pancakes are cooking....
Thanks, Mom.

It hasn't rained yet...in fact the sun is coming out. We get to finish our coffee sitting on the deck.

I'm so glad I was dressed for foul weather.... :wink:

blues2cruise

Mind your own bee's whacks...or...put your visor down

#20 Unread post by blues2cruise »

While I was helping with the baking, the aforementioned in another post 40 year veteran of riding rumbled by on his Harley. Just as he was about to turn into the driveway, he saw my bike parked there. He must really be PO'ed that I had the audacity to stand up for myself, because when he spotted my bike parked in the driveway, he turned his bike around and left. :roll: Sheesh, grow up, will ya.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, I could not find my key. We looked and looked but it was nowhere to be found. Luckily I carry a spare. Now I am late leaving if I want to catch the 4:20 ferry. That's ok, I think. The roads are dry and I am getting better on the curves, so I can go a little faster today. Once again I pulled over before the twisty part because there was some yahoo in his rented Grand Am tailgating. I'd rather have those kind of drivers in front of me.
I kept pace with him, so it wasn't because I was too slow....he's was just a bad driver. He tailgated the other cars in front of him as well. He was constantly on his brake pedal. What part of this can't he figure out? If he left more space he wouldn't have to always be putting on the brakes.
When we went through Sechelt, he never bothered to use signals and he went straight through from a "right turn only" lane....cutting me off. What a yahoo.

So, here I am in full gear....covered from head to toe...full face helmet, boots, gauntlets, sunglasses...cruising along at about 90kmh...how is it possible that a bee can manage to fly into the only square inch of skin not covered? :shock: This bee hit my cheek so-o-o-o hard...man, oh, man that was painful....I think the parent bees must teach their baby bees "look for the pink", you'll bounce better... :wink: I then flipped my visor down and kept it down for the rest of the ride.

Tonight, several hours later, it still hurts where the bee whacked my face.

It was only about 4:03 when I got to the ferry terminal so I was sure I would get on the ferry. At the ticket booth I was told to go the front (as usual), but that the bikes were being held there. ???
It is a myth that bikes get priority loading...first on and first off happens only on the whim of who happens to be on duty that day. I think some of the ferry workers must really hate bikes with a passion.
So, there we all were, about a dozen bikes, being made to wait out in the hot sun....in full gear....while they kept loading late coming cars. Finally we are allowed to load....we are at the back of the boat....we will NOT be getting off the boat quickly today. We are in the dungeons...it is so hot and humid down here....
Finally we are at Horseshoe Bay....I swear the ferry docking must be done by a rookie today...so slow and you could hear the boat screeching and squeaking on the dock....Finally we are moving and..oh...we are stopped...now what? Someone seems to ave stalled up there and has blocked the whole ramp.
It would sure be nice if my Mom would move back to town so we wouldn't have to contend with the stinking ferries. Why can't they get their act together? The ferry workers get well paid but they act like they hate being there.

Yay! We are finally moving again. As I rev up the engine to get the speed up to get up the first big hill, I am making my way to the left and just as I am about to change lanes ( I did look and it was empty), another biker who obviously enjoyed the ferry experience even less than I today and who obviously has a million times greater acceleration than I, suddenly appears in my peripheral vision...I hold my line as he zoomed past me and then finish changing lanes after he has gone.
Unlike my usual of doggedly plodding along at close to the speed limit, today I decide to "go with the flow"....and the flow is going very fast. The speed limit is 90kmh and we are going close to 110 in some places. As I said before I usually stay in the right lane and let the speed demons pass me, but today, I am in the left lane keeping pace with the cars in front of me, and the cars are passing on the right. :shock:

There is too much congestion to be changing lanes here so I wait until after Capilano Road to get into the right lane. Its safer that way because of all the entrances to the freeway that have a lot of traffic entering.

Once I get to the cut, though, I go back to the left lane and keep pace with traffic once again. It's rush hour now and I would rather be in the left lane going on the bridge to avoid the entrance with all the cars trying to get on.....We're moving along quite well until close to the tunnel....Dang! It's a tricky manouever, but I manage to move a few lanes over....I'm going Hastings instead. I am expected at some friend's for supper and if I stay on the freeway it will take too long.

I arrived at my friend's only 10 minutes late. When it is time for me to leave, their 3 small children are excited to see me off. They are usually in bed before I leave and today they are allowed up a bit later....Can we see her ride away?
It's exciting for them to be up so close to a motorcycle. Vroom, vroom...

I probably should have waited until tomorrow to write my blog because I am very tired now. I am making a lot of typing mistakes. I want to get it done tonight though, because I am going hiking tomorrow....a trail in the forest, river and mountain views, a waterfall to admire while we have our lunch.....
Until next time....keep the rubber side down..... :)