Overcoming fear after a crash?

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Overcoming fear after a crash?

#11 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

clutch. Where are you in the "Mid-Atlantic"? I'm in Maryland, outside Baltimore. I grew up in Alexandria and have been all up and down the east coast. I'm willing to ride to you and offer some support or guidance, whatever you want. PM me.

Having crashed badly myself almost 6 years ago, I know what you're going through to some extent. Part of dealing with it, is being able to figure out what you did wrong, so you can do things differently next time. You seem to have part of that - you were trying to keep up with your sweetheart. The rest is just gaining some confidence and comfort in your own skills.

Let me know!!

Pam
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#12 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Its not fun crashing, I was so eager last year to get out in spring, I took a chance on the roads in spring. With all the sand they put on the roads over the course of 5 months of snow, it builds up. So I was making a left turn into 4 lane traffic, it was downtown Edmonton and busy. I had a break to get out and was going a tad to fast and hit the sand build up and down I went. Few scrapes on the bike and body. But mostly the pride took a hit. A guy helped me lift my bike, i started it and kept riding. I was upset but it taught me things. I was nervous for a while but went right back out immediately. Had I been seriously injured I may feel differently. I hit a moose one time with my car, few years back, it took me a long time to not feel jumpy. My car was a write-off, and thank god me and my kid didnt get killed. Still to this day I watch more intently for eyes in the ditch. Then I got thinking about, what if I hit a deer or moose on my bike? I try to be an alert rider, but in all honesty, if its going to happen? Its going to happen, and I try not to let fear dictate my life. One day at a time :)
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#13 Unread post by Wrider »

Triumphgirl wrote:Then I got thinking about, what if I hit a deer or moose on my bike?
With how big a moose is you'd probably be better off jumping off of the bike and landing on it like a horse... :kicking:
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#14 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

Wrider wrote:
Triumphgirl wrote:Then I got thinking about, what if I hit a deer or moose on my bike?
With how big a moose is you'd probably be better off jumping off of the bike and landing on it like a horse... :kicking:

:laughing: If I could do that, if the need ever arises, I would end up on Oprah.... :cowboy: Giddy up buttercup!!!
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#15 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Wow - you're a trooper! "They" always say just to get back on the horse and ride it, but man that must be tough after such a frustrating and painstaking crash.

Good on you for starting in a parking lot. Keep practicing all those MSF manoeuvers and wait until you are ready to get out on the streets.

Have you seen the TMW beginner's guide to motorcycling?
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school.htm

Hopefully you're getting your honey to ride you to the parking lot, and even more so, hopefully he gives you plenty of good strong positive support! ;)

Good luck girl, we're all behind you!
Andrea :sun:

slbrooks13
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2011 Suzuki GSXR600

#16 Unread post by slbrooks13 »

I've been riding for nine years and began with riding school and a Honda Nighthawk 250. I have since built up to my ultimate dream bike, a 2011 Suzuki GSX-R600 sportbike, and absolutely love every minute of it.

Unfortunately, two months after buying my GSXR, I dropped it on a downhill gravel parking lot as I was turning right, and was thrown from the bike. No major damage to me, except long lasting bruises; just my bike and my pride! I now have a very real fear of the bike sliding out from under me when I make right turns. I have been working at conquering this fear for a couple weeks, since I got the bike out of the shop, but I so agree with all the ladies in this forum - it's going to take time. I am able to ride in town and ride to work, but I turn a "snail pace" right turn, having to force myself to lean to make the turn.

I have been humbled by a minor accident, after laying my bike down in gravel. I give credit to any lady who rides, but even more credit to any lady who gets back on the bike after a wreck.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re:

#17 Unread post by sunshine229 »

clutch wrote:Thank you all so much! It really helps to know that I'm not crazy or inferior for being scared. When I asked some guys about the fear, they treated me like I was stupid. So I'm really glad this ladies forum is here.
Hi Clutch,

Sorry to hear about your crash! It's a shame when you can't turn to friends or other riders you know and get the support you need. I'm glad you can find some comfort on this forum though!

You will find that everyone around here is very sensible, regardless if they're male or female. We haven't restricted the Ladies Lounge to just ladies and the men know they must be sensitive and sensible in here... or else we delete their post and PM them in anger! ;)

Keep taking it easy, praciticing your skills in a parking lot rather than on the road. Get your confidence back by practicing until you are bored of it. Then you know you'll be ready to get into some traffic and give it a go.

Andrea :)
Andrea :sun:

Brackstone
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010/Ducati/Monster 1100

Re:

#18 Unread post by Brackstone »

clutch wrote:Thank you all so much! It really helps to know that I'm not crazy or inferior for being scared. When I asked some guys about the fear, they treated me like I was stupid. So I'm really glad this ladies forum is here.
I've seen people suggest that if you can't start on a certain size bike you have no business riding. Or if you ride certain bikes you have no business riding. etc. etc etc.

People around you need to support you in doing the things you love. Everyone here is usually very helpful and/or nice. Welcome to the forums and keep your spirits up you'll be fine.
Ducati Monster 1100 (Vrooom!!)
Aprilia Shiver 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc (sold)

mytony
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2010/China/fenghuang

#19 Unread post by mytony »

I have no gear.

Links removed by moderator.

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#20 Unread post by sapaul »

clutch wrote:Hi, Ladies

I'm new here. I'm so glad to find this place!

My fiance has been riding for about 20 years. I've been riding as a passenger for 2 years.

He surprised me and got a Honda Rebel 250. I completed the MSF beginners course in June so I could start riding.

On my first trek outside of the neighborhood, I crashed. I was trying to keep up with him while going around a curve, but I ran off the road.

Three months later, my leg has finally healed up enough to try riding again. So I tried to ride today. I just stayed on our neighborhood street.

Although I thought I was ready physically & emotionally, the fear took over. The only thing I could think was "I'm going to crash! I'm going to crash! I'm going to crash!" I never made it off of our street. And I almost crashed twice!

I want to ride, but I'm afraid to get back on the bike.

How do you conquer your fear after a crash?
Hi all, thought I would chip in.

Just reading your post immediately makes me think of panic. I have been an advocate of "overcoming survival instincts" for many years now after reading and studying "Twist of the wrist"

Now men are for the most part stupid when we ride, but not in the way you think. You see, we commit our brains to riding, but because most men are mechanically competent, we tend to master the physical side of riding quickly. When we do this it leaves a portion of our brain "empty". In essence we have processing power left to deal with any potential situation that could harm us.

Women multitask, this means that the processing cpu is on full go all the time. So let's assume that a female has all the basics. She knows how to work the controls of the bike and can make it go. It's at this point you become your worst enemy. You allow the other factors in your daily life to intrude on the most important aspect of riding skills. Committing your brain to riding, and further to this, only committing 50%. You need the other 50% to be "empty". You need processing power to analyze all the potential problems and to pre-empt them before they occur or as they happen. When you are riding and thinking of what is in the fridge or how much washing you need to do, it takes up the space that men keep as "empty". When there is no computing power left,

instinct takes over

I have just read what I wrote and it sounds patronizing, but I really do not mean to be so, I am just speaking from experience. I have found that when I am teaching, women are the best students. Out on the road by yourself, the lack of confidence and "full head syndrome" cause all kinds of problems.

In summary: First off arm yourself with as much "off bike" knowledge as you can. Read "twist of the wrist". No excuses, make time for it. Read as much as you can find out about riding techniques.

Next time you get on the bike, commit to riding the bike ONLY. Chase away all other thoughts and leave some room for computing. Think only about each and every action you do on the bike and commit to doing that thing the best you can until such time as it becomes thoughtless, thus freeing up more computing room.

learn to overcome those survival instincts

Most of all enjoy riding, take pleasure and pride from it, we are after all part of a unique 2% of the world that rides on 2 wheels
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R