totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: naked standards

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ronnny wrote:I don't guess there is anything wrong with any of these but like some said a riding postion that does not work for some. I was looking at used bikes. And was really more interested in unfaired. I live in Georgia so a lot of nice weather most of the year and not much need for a fairing. Mostly just to and from work. This year has been bad with a lot of either cold or wet days though. Guess it might just be more about what you find for the right price.
Suzuki Bandit 600 or the last version the Bandit 650. Naked, unfaired and reliable. Oh and you can find them cheap used (the 650 is a bit more money).

The Honda 599 is a great bike, expensive when launched but really realiable and nicely finished. Totally Naked. The SV650 naked has a great engine and chassis, The ZR7F is hard to find but a nice all rounder, I ride the 2001 ZR7F myself right now.

2000 Suzuki Bandit 600S (the non-S is naked)

2005 Suzuki Bandit 650S (the non-S is naked)

2006 Suzuki SV650 (the S is faired)

2007 Honda 599

2000 Kawasaki ZR7F

There are older bikes out there and the older you go the more "naked and standard" they get (and cheaper too). They won't handle like the above ones but they are classic. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#12 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

You could always go for a B-King!
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Ronnny
Rookie
Rookie

#13 Unread post by Ronnny »

Any of the naked ones posted in picks by administrator is what i like with preference going to the zr7s. I see a lot faired bandits and sv650s. I have found writeups of making a fz6 naked but none on doing this to bandits or sv650s. What is the difference in the way a 600 bandit or an sv650 ride?

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#14 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Ronnny wrote:What is the difference in the way a 600 bandit or an sv650 ride?
I tested both when I was looking for a naked standard. I thought the SV (twin) was more aggressive and torquey than the Bandit (four). In fact, I thought the Bandit was tame in comparison to the other inline 4's I tried (Z750S & FZ6). The FZ6 was so gutsy that I thought I would probably kill myself if I bought it. That being said the Z750S is not much more forgiving but I felt it was just a bit safer for me.

Just a note that the SV riding position caused me pain in my lower back very early on in the ride.

A :)
Andrea :sun:

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#15 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

For me the SV is one hot little machine it is no slouch and will out corner a lot of machines you can't go wrong with an inexpensive reliable Vtwin HOOLY machine. I also like the parelell twins from Kawasaki there are actually a slew of them now. The Z1000 I4 is a cool bike as well but they are a little buzzy for me I am a portly bastid and like alot of tourque. The HP doesn't mean squat to me most riders including myself can't use it all anyway and if HP is your bag you don't need a hooligan machine.
The best Hooligan rides are the Buells and Triumphs you can flat out beat hell outa those machines with no worries and they got grunt that can pull down a house.
there aint nothin like it

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#16 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm going with Mike on his recommendations. Those are all good bikes in the 600 cc class. The only one I didn't see mentioned is the ER-6N. It's a naked version of the Ninja 650.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wrider wrote:I'm going with Mike on his recommendations. Those are all good bikes in the 600 cc class. The only one I didn't see mentioned is the ER-6N. It's a naked version of the Ninja 650.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but to fair, my opinions are just an opinion, but you can't go wrong with considering them. :laughing:

The ER-6N is, as you noticed, the naked version of the ER6F (which is the Ninja 650R), it's a great bike too, one you might love too.

Oh and I did forget to mention the Suzuki Gladius 650, now that's a good bike as well. :D

But the ER6N and Gladius 650 you may not find too many used and that cheap (yet).

Do tell us what you get, we love to hear new bike stories. :happybikeday:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#18 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Triumph Street triple:) Though they seem completely non-existent on the used market. There are tons of cheap used SV650s out there

Ronnny
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by Ronnny »

http://www.wowmotorcycles.com/bikes.asp?ref=91518&opt=1

There is a link to a used fz6 at a local used dealer. My local yamaha dealer has one on consignment that they are asking to much for. I am leaning toward yamaha since they do pay my paycheck every week and i can get parts at a discount with a headache and if i have a little time to wait. I do not get enough of a new discount though to make me want to go that route. A few i know in a years time the bike was worth less than what we pay. I have been looking at sportbikenet about how to make it into a fz6n. And would like to find out through work if i can get european parts at a discount. But stil open to a real good deal on any brand.

XB08
Legendary
Legendary

#20 Unread post by XB08 »

WhaT IS A Naked Standard??? A standard was always a non fairing bike with more of mid foot controls. the are only a few bikes like that, Some sportbike have a more up right riding egros and there are naked sport bikes.