MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

Re: Wrider's Scribblings

#81 Unread post by MZ33 »

Wow, Wrider, sorry to know you were hurt, but I'm glad you've had a chance to ride again. How goes the job search? Any nibbles anywhere?
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#82 Unread post by HYPERR »

I didn't know anything about this either. :shock: I first read about your knee surgery in Obama's healthcare thread. Sorry to hear about your crash big guy. :(

It sounds like you are making a very speedy recovery though! :D
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#83 Unread post by Wrider »

Haha yeah thanks guys! (Well guy and gal)
I'm working one really crappy security job and one good one, but the good one doesn't have enough hours right now unfortunately. I'm starting an Alaska job search tomorrow. I've always wanted to go back up there, I'm single, I have no obligations down here, might as well!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#84 Unread post by MZ33 »

Less ride time in Alaska, but then, there are snowmobiles. Well, I guess they call them "snow machines."
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

noodlenoggin
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 1995 Ford Thunderbird =-(

#85 Unread post by noodlenoggin »

Just get one of these "snow-hawks."
http://www.snow-hawk.com/model_home_sno ... 800ho.aspx
1979 XS650F -- "Hi, My name's Nick, and I'm a Motorcyclist. I've been dry for four years." (Everybody: "Hi, Nick.")

RhadamYgg
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006/Yamaha/FZ6

#86 Unread post by RhadamYgg »

Hey -- you could do that fishing show - and I hear those guys make loads of money - but I wouldn't choose it for a long-term career. I wanted to do it during the summers when I was in college - but it was one of those things I just never got to. Probably a good thing, sometimes I'm not as coordinated as I would like to be.

RhadamYgg
RhadamYgg / Skydiver / Motorbike Rider / Mountain Climber
FZ6/11302 mi|Suzuki B-King/5178 mi|Ninja 250cc/5300 mi| (rented)ST1300 850 mi
Hoping my kids don't hate me too much in the future.
Random 2003/Corwin 2006/Cordelia and Morrigan 2009

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#87 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah I've thought about it, but my knee is still a bit unstable for that work. I can't fully crouch still, and the fibers from the acl and mcl are still attaching to the bones, so don't want to risk that. Been looking for deckhand jobs though on like tourist fishing boats.
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#88 Unread post by Wrider »

So I realized I never posted a picture of how ruined I was after my accident/subsequent surgeries.
I'm the one on the left. The one on the right is my friend Liz.

The cast is for the two broken bones in my hand. The huge thing around my leg is a brace system that kept my leg 100% straight for 3 weeks that I wasn't allowed to take off, not even for a shower. It was my leg wrapped in an ace bandage, followed by a fiberglass cast from my toes to mid-thigh, followed by more ace bandages, then a walking brace that was set to not allow any movement. I measured how big the thing was around one day (3 weeks of boredom and you tend to start doing things like that) and it was 32 inches around. My one leg was about as huge as a smaller person's hips!

Later on I'll upload and share some pictures of my jacket and pants I had on.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#89 Unread post by Wrider »

So I now have three jobs.
One of which I will be quitting soon. I'm working a construction site access site gig and that's a pretty good gig.
The second job is a security job that wants way too much for way too little. I'm required to drive 20 minutes out of the city to get to where I can pick up my stuff, then 20 minutes back into the city and to whereever I'm required to be. For 8 bucks an hour when you're not paying me for my driving time? I think not.
The third job is working as the only bike tech in a custom car and bike shop. That should be plenty of fun! They mostly do cars, but right now I've got bids in on a bike lowering kit and I'm starting next week on a wreck repair. Guy laid his bike down on the right at probably no more than 20 mph, but because of the aftermarket parts, paint, etc, it's gonna cost the insurance company almost 3500 to fix it back to the way it was. The only thing functionally wrong with it is that a wire got cut while the bike was on the ground.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#90 Unread post by Wrider »

Alright, well here's most of my gear. Just so you guys know, the jacket is a Tourmasters Transition, and the pants are Dickies work pants. Yeah I know I'm supposed to have pants too, but I don't. Anywho, moving on now.
Ok, first off, where I wrecked. Mom took these pics on the way over to see me the day after, so she didn't know exactly where I did, she thought I made that big dent in the guardrail. Fortunately that was not me!
Notice the wooden cross from a fatal crash on that corner...

Like I said, I was just entering the main part of the corner, it's a total of almost 160 degrees through the whole thing.

This was the bike I was on. Notice the bent forks and bars. The bars were bent forward by my legs trying to go over/through them.

There's the jacket I was wearing. Tourmasters Transitions. Tourmaster is geared towards cruisers/touring, Cortech is the same company geared toward sportbikes.

The left forearm of my jacket. That's some very very heavy duty material and the asphalt shredded it like nothing.

Like I said, very heavy material

Fuzzy picture, camera couldn't figure out what to focus on, but it went through every layer into the plastic CE ABS armor that's in the arms and bit into that a bit too. It was the plastic armor and the last thin layer (think windbreaker shell) then my skin.

The two rub spots there are where my knee went. The top one it went through the first layer and scraped my knee up pretty good.

It went through one layer but not the other. Sad part is that I was thinking "Yay! I can use these pants again!" after the accident before the paramedics arrived. Then the EMTs went and did this to my $50 Dickies.

Thought you guys might enjoy some photographs of what exactly happened.