Need suggestions on a smooth ride

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Sex: Male

Re: Need suggestions on a smooth ride

#11 Unread post by jmillheiser »

sapaul wrote:Suzuki Bandit
The new bandit have better passenger accomodations than the old school one? My bandit 600 wasn't particularly passenger friendly and the 1200 had the exact same seat and riding position/passenger accomodations.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#12 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I have been a passenger on many occasions. By far the most comfy ride was being on the pillion of the Valkyrie. (Unfaired Goldwing basically). It had enough room on it to not feel squished. I could lean back against the back rest and just enjoy the ride.
The second most comfy ride was on the Royal Star Venture. The only problem for me on this one is that on a long ride, my knees start to hurt. If a person has shorter legs it would not be an issue.

The 1000cc Virago was too short for comfort on a long ride. It was ok for a while because of the back rest, but there is no room to move the torso slightly for a change of position on the back.

The V-Star 1100 was ok, but the pillion seat is like a plank. The seat would have to be re-done for any kind of comfort.

One of the big Harley's I was on as a passenger was comfortable enough ergonomically, but the vibrations were awful. Too much vibrations on a back back will likely increase the discomfort.

The pillion seat should be large/wide enough to support the whole butt. If the seat is too narrow the body will be trying harder to keep balanced causing more strain on the back.

In the meantime, a back support (like a weight lifter belt idea) can help a great deal. I speak from experience. Since my crash three years ago, I have had ongoing problems. I could not ride for very long without my back/hip/shoulder hurting. I started wearng a back brace for some rides and it made a tremendous difference.

Similar to this....she could choose the one that is most suitable for her. There are several styles. The one in the picture is about $35.00

Aside from the backrest, back brace, good pillion seat.....smooth shifting, acceleration and braking will all help to make a difference. If you brake suddenly or shift rough or accelerate abruptly, it forces the back to be jarred....(this is where the back brace will help).

Avoid ridged and bumpy roads when possible and check your suspension. A softer ride may also help.

tymanthius
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 07 BMW F650GS

#13 Unread post by tymanthius »

Thanks for the indepth reviews Blues! She actually has a medically prescribed brace, but it's so/so for sitting positions. One like you suggested might be a good idea.

We are also getting a 2nd opinion Thur to see if surgery is an option. As it's the 3 lowest Thorasic disc's, to do surgery requires taking her ribs apart & putting them back like leggo's. Not fun, but it could 'cure' things.

We will see!!
'07 BMW F650GS :) His name is Mith.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#14 Unread post by dr_bar »

Smooth ride and comfort is what it's all about. The bike I ride is a bit less expensive than a Goldwing and just as comfortable.

I ride a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. My last bike was/is a Honda Valkyrie, also very comfortable for the pillion. It has all the power and weight of the Goldwing, but it's still a cruiser. I know you're far away, but you can see what it looks like on my Craigslist ad, (it's for sale.)

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/m ... 28973.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"