Laki
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 V-Star 650, 2006 V-Star 1100

Re: Prospective Backpacking Motorcycle

#11 Unread post by Laki »

Thanks for your rapid replies! I'll look into any and all you throw my way and appreciate all kinds of feedback. And yeah, I realize that cross country, loaded down in mountainous terrain probably isn't the cleverest of concepts for a first-timer, but what better way to learn than trial by fire, right? As to the comment on motorcycle maintenance... will I really be breaking down that often? That's not terribly reassuring considering some of the back-alley trails I'm likely to strand myself on.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#12 Unread post by jstark47 »

Laki wrote:And yeah, I realize that cross country, loaded down in mountainous terrain probably isn't the cleverest of concepts for a first-timer, but what better way to learn than trial by fire, right?
Yeah. Right. It's your skin, not mine. :roll:

Recommend you allow in your budget for a full set of decent protective gear- besides helmet, I mean dedicated motorcycle jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. If you're gonna learn "trial by fire", you're probably gonna drop the bike and maybe yourself a couple of times. At least be protected.
Laki wrote:As to the comment on motorcycle maintenance... will I really be breaking down that often? That's not terribly reassuring considering some of the back-alley trails I'm likely to strand myself on.
The kind of bike you can get for your budget might be a tad ...... "pre-loved" shall we say? :mrgreen: So, yeah, knowing how to do some basic repairs might save you from being stranded. The good news is dual sports like the KLRs or XRs Grey Thumper and I suggested are single-cylinder bikes, pretty simply to work on. The bad news is you've got some learning to do, and some basic tools and a maintenance manual to buy. How's your basic mechanical apptitude?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#13 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

jstark47 wrote:I'm thinking if he's tall enough, maybe he could find a beater KLR near the top of his price range.
Oooh, KLRs. Now those are awesome.

If you (OP, not jstark47) aren't that tall, an early to mid 90's Funduro might be easier to manage, although I have no idea if one of those is within your budget.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

Laki
Regular
Regular

#14 Unread post by Laki »

As I'll be riding with a decent haul as is, I don't want to overload on a massive tool kit. Is there an already posted guide giving some of the basics that I should definitely keep with me? If not, what would you recommend springing for?

I'm not too mechanically apt as yet, but am a quick learner and no stranger to manual labor and greasy fingers.

Don't worry- I'll hopefully be picking up a full set of protective gear while here in Asia for a hopefully major discount, and look forward to getting past my first and inevitable rookie spills.

As for size, I'm 5'9, maybe 5'10 on a good day.

If I go through with this plan, I'll be flying into Anchorage. Any recommendations on finding a bike? Craigslist? An actual used bike dealer? Ye ole fashioned classifieds? Is there any forum thread or article that can help a greenhorn in buying a used bike (ie relevant questions to ask, what to look for, etc)?

Thanks!!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#15 Unread post by jstark47 »

Laki wrote:Any recommendations on finding a bike? Craigslist? An actual used bike dealer? Ye ole fashioned classifieds?
Not familiar with the Alaska, but in general check Craigslist first.
Laki wrote:Is there any forum thread or article that can help a greenhorn in buying a used bike (ie relevant questions to ask, what to look for, etc)?
The mother of all used motorcycle checklists: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

MTexile
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 09 FXD & 03 XL 1200C

#16 Unread post by MTexile »

If you're not planning on spending much time riding on highways, maybe a used Suzuki DRZ-400? A single cylinder dual-sport that is relativity light, can cruise along at 50 mph on two-lane roads and is capable of off-road work. Plus it will be cheaper than a 650.
2009 Harley Super Glide ("Therapy")

Laki
Regular
Regular

#17 Unread post by Laki »

Hey- so based off of what I've been looking at on my own, I do think the Ninja would be a good starter bike for me. However, as I'm buying used, my market is limited to what is currently available. And one bike in my area that's been posted is a 1989 Suzuki GSX 750, going for less than half its listed Blue Book value. The seller indicated that there was some visible body damage, but that the engine had been fully reworked and runs beautifully. Assuming it passed visual inspection, would this bike be out of my league or right up my alley? If it were good, it would save me a lot of money, even if it needed some minor repairs. Thanks a lot!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#18 Unread post by Wrider »

Hey man, a GSX750 is not much of a beginner's bike. It's a very heavy bike, and it's still pretty quick and powerful for a beginner. Honestly I'm pushing more toward an older KLR650 or even a used well BMW F650GS.

That said I do know a guy whose first street bike was that exact bike. He rode it to school and back in high school. He had a ton of dirt experience though, and wasn't looking to tour on it.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Laki
Regular
Regular

#19 Unread post by Laki »

Hm, thanks. I'll probably shy away from that then, even though it looks like a fantastic deal. The problem with targeting specific bikes like the ones you're suggesting is that I'm restrained by what people are selling in my area. As I don't have a mode of transport other than my feet and the bus, I'm rather limited in the range I can shop in.

How about a Honda Shadow then? I've found an '88 VLX on the market for a good (enough) price (surprisingly can't find any Kawasakis right now). It's a little heavy maybe for a beginning biker, but I think anything too too much lighter will start to limit my ability to take it cross-country and on a few gravel wilderness roads here and there. Thoughts?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#20 Unread post by Wrider »

Well the VLX is a cruiser, and while the weight is more it's also lower in the frame and it can handle dirt roads fine (done them on a cruiser before) it also won't have much clearance for anything other than a speed bump.
I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately as I've seen all the bikes out and about, so I've been compiling a mental list for you.

V-strom/DL650
WR450F
CRF450L
GS500
Ninja 500
Versys/Ninja 650/ER-6N (All same basic bikes with different plastic/handlebar configurations)
SV650 (Even saw one of these turned into a monstrous dirtbike once)
KLR650
Older BMW F650
DR-Z400
KLX-400

Those are the ones I can think of that will do Interstate speeds yet will be comfortable and dirt-capable.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha