ape hangers handelbars

dayll
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

ape hangers handelbars

#1 Unread post by dayll »

I see these guys all over with handlebars that are so high it's flat comical. Certainly there can be no handling advantage to such a set up. Correct me quick if I'm off base here but it seems these guys are just desperate for people to look at them. "Look over here at me everyone-look, my handlebars are ridiculously high - look - please look at me-please!!!
Nothing wrong with wanting people to look at you I guess but wouldn't it be better for people to look at you on your motorcycle for reasons other than you look like a hard up for attention, hands-in-the-air idiot? I mean, I don't want them made illegal or anything, I kinda like laughing at guys with them. -dayll

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: ape hangers handelbars

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

LOL it's especially comical when they are wearing wife beaters and exposing their hairy armpits to anyone unfortunate enough to be in their way. :laughing:

Same thing with any custom choppers. No human being actually looks good riding it as they all look like super dorks. :LOL2: :banging:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Flesher
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by Flesher »

dayll wrote:... I don't want them made illegal or anything, I kinda like laughing at guys with them. -dayll
Oh but they are illegal, most jurisdictions have on their books a maximum height the bars can rise above the seat when depressed by the weight of the operator. In Ontario I believe it is 38cm (15")

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#4 Unread post by JC Viper »

Here in NY I believe that handlebars cannot be higher than your shoulder when seated yet so many biker bars here are full of Harleys with apehangers. I don't know why apehangers are illegal but I do feel they can ruin the look of a perfectly good cruiser.

I know Harley made the Street Bob with a not so high ape hanger design.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

JC Viper wrote:Here in NY I believe that handlebars cannot be higher than your shoulder when seated yet so many biker bars here are full of Harleys with apehangers. I don't know why apehangers are illegal but I do feel they can ruin the look of a perfectly good cruiser.

They are illegal because they are almost impossible to turn quickly and are downright dangerous. Lower the bar the better control. That's why race bikes and RR's have clip ons below the triple clamp.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by paul246 »

People ride with ape-hangers for a very good reason. Cagers can smell them before they see them. It gives these bikers that extra margin of safety.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#7 Unread post by JC Viper »

HYPERR wrote:
JC Viper wrote:Here in NY I believe that handlebars cannot be higher than your shoulder when seated yet so many biker bars here are full of Harleys with apehangers. I don't know why apehangers are illegal but I do feel they can ruin the look of a perfectly good cruiser.

They are illegal because they are almost impossible to turn quickly and are downright dangerous. Lower the bar the better control. That's why race bikes and RR's have clip ons below the triple clamp.
I thought something along those lines but I figured if we can have ill handling SUVs (not a generalization some out there are bad at maneuvering) and choppers then there shouldn't be too much of a problem with ape hangers.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#8 Unread post by Gummiente »

Like most things these days, ape hangers are a style component from the 60's that have been overdone. The original "choppers", like the ones seen in the movie "Easy Rider", had them... interesting note is that the first sets were made by cutting up a grocery cart and using the rear part of the frame... and they were all about style and nothing about comfort or handling.

They faded away for awhile but are now making a "style" comeback on just about every make and model of cruiser you can think of; I've even seen them on Road Glides and Electra-Glides. I agree that on most bikes they look ridiculous, but then again so do people with baggy pants and hats on backwards. As do those cars with the wagon wheel sized chrome rims. And people with spiky hair and shrapnel embedded all over their faces. And so on.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#9 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

To each his own I guess. I have never been a big fan of the apehangers, but hey, if we were all the same who the heck could you laugh/complain about?

R.I.P Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper)
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#10 Unread post by ceemes »

HYPERR wrote:LOL it's especially comical when they are wearing wife beaters and exposing their hairy armpits to anyone unfortunate enough to be in their way. :laughing:

Same thing with any custom choppers. No human being actually looks good riding it as they all look like super dorks. :LOL2: :banging:
I concur 110%.
Always ask why.