Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006/Kawasaki/Mean Streak/best bike ever

Taking a trip - any words of wisdom?...

#1 Unread post by Loonette »

Hey all!
I'm taking a bike trip to visit my cousin in North Carolina, and I've already mapped out my route (exampled below). I was just curious to hear any advice that you all may have regarding sights to see, things to do, etc... My riding time will be fairly tight, but for the perfect vista point or exciting event, I could easily be diverted. I've never had a vacation (I'm 42 years old), and I've certainly never ridden this far by myself on the bike. I'm more encouraged than I am hesitant, but just want to check into as much as possible before I leave (late August).

Also, I've planned to stay in a one-room cabin at a KOA campsite on each route... any better suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers,
Loonette

Day 1 - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 9&dirflg=d

Day 2 - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 7&dirflg=d

Two days in North Wilkesboro, NC, including time around Ashland, NC

Day 5 - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 2&dirflg=d

Day 6 - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 0&dirflg=d
Last edited by Loonette on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
FIRST RESPONDERS DO IT WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS!! :smoke:
Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet...

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

Re: Taking a trip - any words of wisdom?...

#2 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

hi! One thing I noticed is that your second day of riding to get there is longer than the first. From experience, it is generally better to make your first day longer. Most folks tend to not sleep as well in a hotel as in their own beds, so you'll be less rested for the longer day of riding. Since I notice that your second day involves twisty-er riding, it makes sense to give yourself fewer miles to ride on day 2. Besides you can have breakfast and get right at the fun roads!

Consider trying to get south of Charleston, WV before stopping for the night. Once you set out the next day, you'll be going the opposite direction from any potential "rush hour" Charleston traffic. If you can make it to Beckley, WV you're not far from the New River Gorge... famous destination for moto travelers of all kinds.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Triumphgirl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: Triumph America 07

#3 Unread post by Triumphgirl »

I have travelled by myself on long rides. My advice is to make sure that you have with you. A cell phone of course, a knife or some sort of protection. Do not tell anyone that you are traveling alone. Sometimes when you stop, some guys will ask where your traveling and if you are riding alone. Its happened to me, and I have told them that I am just waiting to meet up with a friend. I am sure you have the mental fortitude to know this already. And of course, had a good service and check on your bike so you dont experience mechanical issues. And last but not least...a smile on your face and the joy of being on the road.
Have a great and safe trip. :righton:
I keep trying to Think...but nothing hAppens

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#4 Unread post by zeligman »

just a thought - there are plenty of ppl spread out along the U.S. from here - maybe a list of 'friendlies' to call in case of emergency, or just to have a bit of company along the way ...
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

Lion_Lady
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#5 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

Triumphgirl wrote:I have travelled by myself on long rides. My advice is to make sure that you have with you. A cell phone of course, a knife or some sort of protection. . . . And of course, had a good service and check on your bike so you dont experience mechanical issues. And last but not least...a smile on your face and the joy of being on the road.
Have a great and safe trip. :righton:
Don't carry anything you aren't willing to USE. A knife is too easy to have taken from you. Besides, anyone determined to do harm will have to get awful close for a knife to be useful. Ditto mace, pepper spray, etc. The best protection is awareness. Trust your intuition. Women too often fall back on being polite, not making trouble, etc. It is our greatest weakness when it comes to personal safety. Pay attention to strangers who want to approach/chat. If anyone doesn't seem "okay" do NOT be afraid to tell them to stay well out of your comfort zone. Be forcefull and direct - channel your inner amazon warrior. Anyone looking for an easy mark will move on.

There's a simple move that will put anyone on the ground, gasping for air. It takes a bit of practice but all you need is your hand - either the hard side or the front of your fist (curl your fingers around). Strike the adam's apple, hard.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Loonette

#6 Unread post by Loonette »

Thanks everyone for the great advice so far. I do plan to have the bike checked over (plus, I'm installing my new Kewlmetal Risers!!). I didn't think too clearly about the mileage issues that Lion Lady mentioned - I will take another look at possible places to stay so that I can put more miles on my first day(s) of travel.

I'll check in again later. Thanks all!!

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

In addition to what Pam said, a move my old (bouncer) boss taught me was to hit them with the heel of the hand toward the top of the rib cage, right at the joint of the collar bones. The body's natural reaction is to raise the head to protect the face, then put your fingers into the throat. He did it at 1/4 speed/force and it made me choke. You've seen me so imagine what it could do to someone at full speed/force.

Other than that, enjoy the ride! Good luck and keep the shiny side up!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Loonette

#8 Unread post by Loonette »

Several years ago my brother, a career military man, showed me the proper technique for crushing someones trachea - just in case I ever needed to do such a thing. I haven't had to utilize the technique yet, but I know I could if I had to. I'm not too afraid of people in general. I deal with high stress and big adrenaline all the time - I know that I can pull myself together enough to take care of whatever needs to be done. I agree, too, that being aware of one's surroundings and not hesitating to take action is a huge key to successful self-defense.

That said, I do carry a small knife at all times - mostly for utilitarian purposes on the job (it only has a 2 1/4" blade), but I know it could come in handy for other things as well. And... I carry brass knuckles when I travel. Those are more for fun and for a conversation starter, but again... they can serve a purpose if needed. I feel weapons are secondary, however, to practical self-defense. They only work if all the conditions are just right. For primary self-defense, one should be able to rely on their intuition, their creativity, and their ability to keep their head together.

Cheers,
Loonette

2006 Mean Streak 1600

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#9 Unread post by Wrider »

Remind me to keep on your good side will ya? haha
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Wear the most comfortable supportive bra you can find. Also...long legged underwear or flat seamed regular undies....if you're riding all day, having the seams in the wrong place can be irritating. Long legged one won't ride up. (no pun intended)

Keep hydrated....it helps with cognition. On long days with hot temperatures, I use a water bladder specific backpack.....you can easily get the drinking tube under the chin bar of your helmet. The pack is not heavy and with only water in it, is light weight. I don't even notice it there.