Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

Re: Helmet laws - for or against

#81 Unread post by sv-wolf »

HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
Having personal freedoms is wonderful, but when people make stupid choices that end up costing all of us...then we need laws to protect us.
Yep exactly. I suppose it may be their right to split their skull open if they want as long as they do not have minors that are dependent on them. However what these selfish people don't realize is that their irresponsibility and stupidity will invevitably become a burden on society.

The problem with this argument, HYPERR, is that it is relativistic, and relativistic arguments are likely to swing back and cut the person who makes them. The logic behind what you are saying is that the greater the personal risk you take on the roads, the more of a potential burden you become on society. So, the motorcycle rider who wears a beanie helmet is more of a potential burden on society than one who wears a proper one. But by the same logic, the motorcyclist who wears a proper helmet is more of a potential burden on society than the car driver, who is more of a potential burden on society than the pedestrian.

Where do you draw the line?
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

sv-wolf

#82 Unread post by sv-wolf »

ofblong wrote:
dj biker wrote:I think that anyone that demands that everyone wear a helmet, should ask themself what does a helmet really do? What is it designed to protect you from? Helmet DOT standards are such that the DOT certification is that a helmet will protect your head from a fall from approximately 42 inches at a complete stop. So if you are sitting at a red light and fall over, you are protected. In a crash, well, you are as likely to have head and neck injuries from the extra weight of the helmet as you are to be protected from the impact with the SUV. I wear a helmet on every ride as well, but not to be fooled by DOT standards. If you are wearing a helmet to protect you from a crash, keep drinking the kool-aid. If the helmet would protect your head from splitting open when you hit that Buick, then I am sure there would be no argument from me. However this is not the case. If you are wearing to prevent road rash if you go down, that is probably a good idea. Personally I like the protection from the sun and the errant June bug or wasp that loves to hit you in the face.

1. Why do you insist on opening up 2 year old threads???

2. My brother was in a 3 wheel accident at 60mph. His helmet shattered but it saved his life. What if he wasnt wearing that helmet? Yup you guess it his head would have shattered. He had ZERO neck injuries. He did have a head injury but then again hitting a tree at 60mph with your head and then having your 3 wheeler land on top of your helmet afterwards didnt help (those things arent light). You know what because of that helmet neither the tree NOR the 3 wheeler touched his head. He wouldnt have much of a head left if that helmet wasnt worn.

So there you go a helmet DOES protect your head from splitting open. You might get a head injury because well lets face it there is nothing that will keep your brain from banging around inside your skull.
Just to add that without wearing a full helmet when I had my crash I would now have no face.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#83 Unread post by blues2cruise »

What's wrong with joininig in an old thread? New people might like their opinion heard also...or maybe they like to stir up controversy. :)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#84 Unread post by HYPERR »

sv-wolf wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
Having personal freedoms is wonderful, but when people make stupid choices that end up costing all of us...then we need laws to protect us.
Yep exactly. I suppose it may be their right to split their skull open if they want as long as they do not have minors that are dependent on them. However what these selfish people don't realize is that their irresponsibility and stupidity will invevitably become a burden on society.

The problem with this argument, HYPERR, is that it is relativistic, and relativistic arguments are likely to swing back and cut the person who makes them. The logic behind what you are saying is that the greater the personal risk you take on the roads, the more of a potential burden you become on society. So, the motorcycle rider who wears a beanie helmet is more of a potential burden on society than one who wears a proper one. But by the same logic, the motorcyclist who wears a proper helmet is more of a potential burden on society than the car driver, who is more of a potential burden on society than the pedestrian.

Very simple. One just needs to be responsible while partaking in that particular activity. If you are a pedestrian, walk on the sidewalk, not on the road. If you are driving a car, don't talk on the cellphone, text, or do your nails. If you are riding a motorcyle, wear a freakin' helmet.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

blues2cruise

#85 Unread post by blues2cruise »

HYPERR wrote:
sv-wolf wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
Very simple. One just needs to be responsible while partaking in that particular activity. If you are a pedestrian, walk on the sidewalk, not on the road. If you are driving a car, don't talk on the cellphone, text, or do your nails. If you are riding a motorcyle, wear a freakin' helmet.
I'd rather wear my Icon helmet. :laughing:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#86 Unread post by HYPERR »

blues2cruise wrote:
Do you have one that matches your new bike? :)
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

blues2cruise

#87 Unread post by blues2cruise »

HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
Not yet...but it's neutral at the moment....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Pr ... Helmet.jpg

I love this helmet. :mrgreen:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#88 Unread post by HYPERR »

blues2cruise wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:

That's a nice looking helmet. :kicking:

It's good to see cruiser riders wearing full face. :D

My friend wears a full face when riding his GSXR but doesn't wear a helmet at all when riding his chopper. :roll:
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

sv-wolf

#89 Unread post by sv-wolf »

HYPERR wrote:
sv-wolf wrote: Where do you draw the line?

LOL. Well wriggled, HYPERR. :D

One needs to be "responsible" when partaking in any kind of activity (or so the moralists say). Nevertheless, even for the most responsible and careful road user, it is still safer in a car than on a bike. Just by being on a bike you are inevitably running a higher risk of becoming "a burden on society."

Similarly, the question arises, why would you want to wear a freakin' helmet on a bike? Because, naturally if you have an accident, you stand a better chance of coming out of it well. Applying the same logic, if you are a road user you should drive a freakin' car rather than a bike, and for the same reason - because if you have an accident, you stand a better chance of coming out of it well.

LOL. Just playing HYPERR. But there are some interesting questions here. Riders do take more risks just by being on a bike despite any intentions they have to ride responsibly. Bikes are inherently more unstable and less protective than cars. How would you justify that choice? As riders, do we need to justify it? Does "society" have to accept that its members will take risks in the pursuit of pleasure? What do we mean by society anyway? Personally, becoming a burden on the state would be the least of my worries if I were in a crash. But I have particular political reasons for thinking in that way.

And in consideration of all these things, can we say that the guy who wears a noddy helmet is really that irresponsible after all? I tend to think it is a very individual matter. Someone with a wife and a family will assess these things differently to a single bloke with terminal cancer. And I would be reluctant to pass a serious judgement on someone else's choice. I go fully kitted up in all weathers and in all conditions. But that's just me. I tend to think that people will follow the line of least resistance whatever happens.

:cowboy:
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

blues2cruise

#90 Unread post by blues2cruise »

HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
HYPERR wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:

That's a nice looking helmet. :kicking:

It's good to see cruiser riders wearing full face. :D

My friend wears a full face when riding his GSXR but doesn't wear a helmet at all when riding his chopper. :roll:
Go figure. Does he think he would fall less hard off his chopper?