society909
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 86 yamaha vmax 02 Suzuki vs 800

Re: When Did You Get the Itch

#51 Unread post by society909 »

I was 18 and was drinking with a friend who owned a Kawasaki s2-350 I told him I never rode a motorcycle before the next thing I knew he was giving me riding lessons I was hooked. We use to get drunk and start trading things back and fourth. A few months later I owned that bike. I can't remember what I traded for it but we had some good times back than and I really enjoyed that bike
Thanks Dennis.
Ps. I don't drink and drive any more that was 30 years ago. I don't even drink any more but you know how it is when your young and dumb
Ride like hell you'll get there

dj biker
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 2007 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic

#52 Unread post by dj biker »

There is no place to click I started at the age of 6 on a Honda 50cc Mini Trail. Been on two wheels ever since, and now I am 42. I have had over 15 bikes and currently riding a 2007 Softail Heritage Classic. Probably the last bike I will ever own, or at least, this one ain't going anywhere. I might add to the stable, but keeping this one!

society909
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 86 yamaha vmax 02 Suzuki vs 800

Re:

#53 Unread post by society909 »

RockBottom wrote:I'm the lone 51-55 vote. Late mid-life crisis: I bought my bike the day my younger kid graduated from high school.
Your kid graduated high school and you got the new bike. What did the kid get?
Ride like hell you'll get there

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#54 Unread post by Johnj »

An education.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

tcreeley
Veteran
Veteran

#55 Unread post by tcreeley »

When I was 4 someone gave me a ride on back- dreamed about it for years until I dug out a 125 Benelli from a storage basement- my brothers bike he ordered from Montgomery Ward catalog. Stuck it somehow into the trunk of a valiant - some of it anyway! - and brought it to where I was living. Rode without a license for the longest time!

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#56 Unread post by sapaul »

I was on bicycles since I can remember, but my earliest memory of a "real" bike was when I was about 12 and we got a hold on an old Puch, pedal wheels and all. there must have been a dozen of us that all chipped in to buy this bike and we then took it to our local park to learn to ride and fall off. Man that thing was scary but it was just all good fun to us. It had no key so we twisted wires and pushed and pedaled like hell to get it going and we would pull of the spark plug cap to stop it. That bike taught us a lot as we learned as we went. We kept it together for years on bubble gum, sticky tape and wire. Eventually we got big enough and old enough to get street bikes. Kawasaki KL175's were the rage then and I got a hold of a 250 KL Kawa. The rest as they say is history.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#57 Unread post by ZRex »

I don't know the exact age, but it was before I was 5, that's when my brother got his dirt bike and I all ready had it long before that. One of my nephews is 3 and he all ready goes on about bikes, he'll stand in the yard smiling when he hears his dad ride up, and constantly ask if he can ride it or help him work on it, another nephew is 15, he has been riding dirtbikes for 8 years and wants to fix up an old RD350 to ride, so I guess we start young.

bikerguy
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: 03 suzuki intruder 1400

#58 Unread post by bikerguy »

When i was 13 a friend got a mini bike he let me ride it i was into two wheels from that time on. When i turned 16 i bought a kaw. 100. the just kept moving up from there now i ride a suzuki intruder 1400.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#59 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

20 when I came out of the Canadian Armed Forces (I was in durring the 1st Gulf War but not IN it). I always wanted to ride anyways and the ARMY gave me the self confidence to do it (with the MSF course as well).

I do envy those who started earlier than I (or those who started when they were kids) what fun I missed out on.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#60 Unread post by JVRR »

Wanted to when I was 16 or 17 but parents heavily said no... my dad rides for work (motorcycle officer), so he seems to have this crazy idea that they are dangerous or something. Rule was always that they would stop paying my insurance if I bought one. Right before I moved to Russia the topic of motorcycles came up at a friends and I took a dig at my parents on the issue, they pointed out I had been paying my insurance for a while now and I smacked myself lol. A few weeks later (it was a short move :D) when I knew there was a chance I was coming back to the States, it was almost all I could think about. I had taken the course within a week or two and had a bike within three weeks. Still waiting to find a job after returning, at least I have my priorities straight!
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)