Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Bike Cops... Bad role models ?

#11 Unread post by Johnj »

*they* wrote:"The answer to these apparently less safe practices of our motorcycle officers is that they have different risks to manage than we street riders do."
They have the same set of risk that street riders have, plus the set of risk that a police officer faces.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#12 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Johnj wrote:
*they* wrote:"The answer to these apparently less safe practices of our motorcycle officers is that they have different risks to manage than we street riders do."
They have the same set of risk that street riders have, plus the set of risk that a police officer faces.
pretty much what I stated. Traffic accidents kill more law enforcement personnel than criminals do. The US is the main exception to the full gear rule for motor police, in most of the EU they wear full gear (and motor police are far more common in europe) much of it specially designed for law enforcement use, and modular helmets to give them the practical benefits of a half helmet and the protection of a full face.

Part of the reason for things like "no pursuit" laws are officers and bystanders dying in high speed accidents (in many jurisdictions if someone runs the police will only pursue long enough to get their plate number and then cease the pursuit and track them down later)

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#13 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Traffic accidents kill more law enforcement personnel than criminals do. The US is the main exception to the full gear rule for motor police, in most of the EU they wear full gear (and motor police are far more common in europe) much of it specially designed for law enforcement use, and modular helmets to give them the practical benefits of a half helmet and the protection of a full face.
"Traffic" accidents kill more LEO's than criminals. Definitely not "motorcycle" accidents. I usually don't have much contact with motor officers other than maybe an air show or some other special event. But I never hear them (or anyone else) complaining that they need better gear or should be forced to wear full face helmets. I think they should have the option to wear whatever gear they want, within reason. No pink mohawks on the helmets.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#14 Unread post by Wrider »

Heh just re visiting this thread. The other day a local officer hit some sand and went down. Scraped up because of his lack of protective clothing, but otherwise ok.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha