Four wheeled Motorcycle...its brilliant!

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

Re: Four wheeled Motorcycle...its brilliant!

#11 Unread post by paul246 »

Wrider wrote:
csspostal wrote:an iPod when it first came out was an odd niche that didn't exist look at it now. Stop looking at it from an expirienced rider point of view. For a new rider think of it as training wheels get them used to basic leaning mechanics while not worring so much about stability or falling over in a turn. Once they feel comfortable take the training wheels off and go with a two wheeled machine. Or an elderly rider that may not have the coordination they once had unlike a trike, spder or side car it still gives you the ability to lean like regular motorcycle. An automatic transmission could aid in learning for new riders the disabled or the elderly as well. Another possible use is for disabled people former riders or new ones. The stability of four wheels could give a former rider that doesn't currently have the use of his legs or a person who has never had the use of their legs to get back to riding or riding for the first time. If god forbit I'm ever in an accident again or I'm lucky enough to live long enough to need one of those electric scooters I'd buy this first because its cooler :)

Not quite true, I had an MP3 player long before the iPod came out, the only difference was that the iPod had a ton more memory.

Besides if that niche was begging to be filled the Spyder would be selling a lot more as would the Piaggio MP3.
The Can-AmSpyder isn't even in the same league. You can't lean that crate, just hang on while you get thrown to the outside of a corner while the wheels skip and skid. The Spyder is nothing but a glorified Ski-doo mounted on three wheels. I remember back in the 70's there actually was a kit sold that would allow a person to mount their snowmobile on 3 wheels and drive it all summer.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#12 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I wouldn't buy one . . . yet. I just wish it were styled more like a motorcycle (like the Yamaha Tesseract concept bike). But the ability to lean + the security of 4 contact patches sounds good to me. I'd seriously consider one if I lived in a place that had snow, so I could ride all year (and the experience seems closer to traditional motorcycle handling, as compared with, say, a hack). Makes way more sense than a Spyder.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#13 Unread post by zeligman »

would LOVE to try it :) or the 3 wheeler too :)
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#14 Unread post by paul246 »

jstark47 wrote:Hmmph. :disgust:

Motorcycles have two wheels. .
Wrong, actually.

Motorcycle is a generic term for any cycle that is motorized.

There are motorized unicycles, motorized bicycles (what most of us are riding ) motorized tricycles and motorized quadcycles. All of the various layouts also exist as human powered variations, which preceded motorized versions.

The term motorcycle is now understood to be the descriptor for the most common layout, the bi or two wheeled motorized cycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#15 Unread post by jstark47 »

paul246 wrote:

Wrong, actually.

Four wheels = car.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#16 Unread post by paul246 »

jstark47 wrote:
paul246 wrote:

Wrong, actually.

Four wheels = car.
If your car can lean that much in a curve you should consider a suspension check :? .

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#17 Unread post by jstark47 »

paul246 wrote:If your car can lean that much in a curve you should consider a suspension check :? .
Hah! Good riposte! :lol:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#18 Unread post by JC Viper »

Nothing too new really. Yamaha unveiled a concept a while back and it looked pretty good. It had stability of a car and could be leaned and ridden like a motorcycle. I like the idea as long as they don't add a cage around it. Think of all the people who can go back to riding despite old age!

Someone who does testing for certain bike brands told me that hitting sand in mid corner on a bike means eating sh*t while with the Piaggio MP3 he just shrugged it off as an example why it works. So these developments do have their uses.

*Last thing he told me was that snow tires were available for the european market only as it couldn't be imported to the US and couldn't divulge why.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.