Would you consider this useful?

hammeraxe
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Would you consider this useful?

#1 Unread post by hammeraxe »

Hi, everyone!

We're a group of university students and in our business module we are to write a business plan to bring an innovative idea to the market.

The idea we're working on now is basically a motorcycle helmet with integrated blind spot sensors. They would be installed in the back left and back right of the helmet and warn the rider with two LEDs (for left and right blind spots respectively) lighting up in his field of view.

So would you use anything like this? Would you consider the issue of blind spots on motorcycles to be worth tackling?

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Would you consider this useful?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

What's wrong with checking your six? I do all the time.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

I'd be afraid people would rely on it instead of their mirrors or checking. Plus daily driving in traffic would be a bit of a PITA because of your LEDs lighting up constantly.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#4 Unread post by fireguzzi »

As long as the led's were easily ignorable and not too distracting I think it would be a good idea.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#5 Unread post by HYPERR »

There is no such thing as a blind spot on a motorcycle.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

hammeraxe wrote:Hi, everyone!

We're a group of university students and in our business module we are to write a business plan to bring an innovative idea to the market.

The idea we're working on now is basically a motorcycle helmet with integrated blind spot sensors. They would be installed in the back left and back right of the helmet and warn the rider with two LEDs (for left and right blind spots respectively) lighting up in his field of view.

So would you use anything like this? Would you consider the issue of blind spots on motorcycles to be worth tackling?
Do any of you students actually ride a motorcycle?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Lion_Lady
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2013 BMW R1200R 90th Anniversary

#7 Unread post by Lion_Lady »

hammeraxe wrote:Hi, everyone!

You students should perhaps investigate innovation in a field you have more/some experience with. The last thing a rider needs is a flashing light in their field of vision. Riders quickly learn that there is no substitution for a head turn.

Such an indicator will probably be dangerous in low light conditions, or heavy traffic situations. How to distinguish a helmet light from a car's indicator? The discernment will require enough delay that it could mean the difference between avoidance and contact/crashing.

How would you mitigate liability to the company for an injured rider should they use this product and STILL be injured? That is perhaps the biggest reason that such cutesie innovations are rarely brought to market.

P
Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity - Alice Paul

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#8 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

hammeraxe wrote:The idea we're working on now is basically a motorcycle helmet with integrated blind spot sensors. They would be installed in the back left and back right of the helmet and warn the rider with two LEDs (for left and right blind spots respectively) lighting up in his field of view.

To quote Will Smith, awwww hell no.

Pointless and, IMHO, untrustworthy. Having small blindspot mirrors so you can confirm with your own eyes is a far simpler and more effective solution. Heck, I don't even completely trust my mirrors; mirrors only say "no". A quick headcheck is the only way to be sure.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#9 Unread post by BuzZz »

I hate all this driver/rider aid tech on vehicles these days. It takes already inattentive/poor driver and gives them an 'excuse' to pay even less attention or become a better operator.

Things on the road are scary enough, giving people a reason to care less about WTF they are doing out there is a bad, bad idea to me.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

profdan
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0

#10 Unread post by profdan »

I admire your attempt to find a viable motorcycle product; it's a daunting task if you're just part-way through your business studies.

However, I do agree with previous posts that a product for motorcycle blind spots would not be profitable because it wouldn't appeal to potential customers, motorcyclists.

If you or your fellow group members do not have much motorcycling experience, you might research the Hurt report, or more recent motorcycle accident statistics. These might help you better understand the safety issues we face. From that, you might come up with a more viable product for your business plan.

In any case, best wishes for a good project outcome.