Superfly3176
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Nightster XL1200N

Scorpion EXO-400

#1 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

$65 at motorcycle superstore not sure if they ship to canada or not. Not a fan of the design but this is an absolutely excellent helmet for the price. I had to buy one.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: Scorpion EXO-400

#2 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

yeah there colour schemes are not to my taste either.

I've worked in a few bike shops over the years (20+) , and when the scorpion rep came by with these exo-400s i was very impressed with the "bang for the buck". they polystyrene-squeakiness is indicative of the fit-and-finish level of there manufacturing quality. The shield mechanism is probably the weakest point to me on scorpions. BUT, they do have awesome anti-fog properties on there visors, however i cant remember if the 400 has the same visor as the EXO700 and 1000 (?) as I recall both had this special anti-fog and super-flexible, anti-shatter properties.

Ive worn mostly Arai and Shoei for most of my riding over the years, street and roadracing mainly, some off-road, ice, etc.. and the cost of Japanese (everything) is getting tough to swallow - but they have built there reputations over decades. I try on any lid I can find, and there are some nice helmets out there as options, even though you cant beat Arai. They are clearly #1 in innovation, but you're also paying to sponsor top-flight riders and development.

Always remember FIT is the #1 thing, and head-shapes vary a lot, so buying locally for helmets, gloves, etc. should be #1 priority, even if you pay $100 for the same helmet. If you buy one that doesnt fit you just wasted $65.

that's my 2-cents

//monkey
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#3 Unread post by Gunslinger »

I would have to respectfully disagree with the Monkey on the anti-fog properties of the EXO helmets. I own a 400 and a 700 and both of them fog up on me if it's cold out. The 700 has a tinted shield and seems to fog even worse. I usually have to crack the sheild and let some air in or I just open it all the way and deal with the cold. When I see a helmet that says "anti-fog coating" to me it means it won't fog as much as a regular shield. They are both excellent helmets otherwise. And for 65 bucks it's a good deal. I have seen other color schemes for a little less if you do a search.

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

yeah there colour schemes are not to my taste either.

I've worked in a few bike shops over the years (20+) , and when the scorpion rep came by with these exo-400s i was very impressed with the "bang for the buck". they polystyrene-squeakiness is indicative of the fit-and-finish level of there manufacturing quality. The shield mechanism is probably the weakest point to me on scorpions. BUT, they do have awesome anti-fog properties on there visors, however i cant remember if the 400 has the same visor as the EXO700 and 1000 (?) as I recall both had this special anti-fog and super-flexible, anti-shatter properties.

Ive worn mostly Arai and Shoei for most of my riding over the years, roadracing mainly, some off-road etc.. and the cost of Japanese (everything) is getting tough to swallow - but they have built there reputations over decades. I try on any lid I can find, and there are some nice helmets out there as options, even though you cant beat Arai. They are clearly #1 in innovation, but you're also paying to sponsor top-flight riders and development.

Always remember FIT is the #1 thing, and head-shapes vary a lot, so buying locally for helmets, gloves, etc. should be #1 priority, even if you pay $100 for the same helmet. If you buy one that doesnt fit you just wasted $65.

that's my 2-cents

//monkey
The thing about it is though, you aren't wasting $65, because motorcycle superstore offers a money back guarantee if it doesn't fit. So you're out the cost of shipping. As long as you don't remove items from the package. So get the helmet, try it on and if it doesn't fit put it right back in the box. Packaging is the most expensive part of shipping.

Plus scorpion puts measurements on their site for their helmets and those are pretty accurate.

And I looked all over the internet for one, these were the cheapest of the EXO-400 helmets. Everywhere else had them from 90 to 150. But if you can prove me wrong I'd love to see it. Around here we don't have many helmet or biker stores.

Gunslinger
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006/Suzuki/SV650

#5 Unread post by Gunslinger »

Please forgive me Mods if posting other vendor links is against the rules. I know some Boards frown on that. Here are several for 59.95.

http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/geronimo.html

Superfly3176
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Superfly3176 »

That's a low price. Still has a design though I like the flat colors.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

re: "anti-fog" --- for sure this is a misnomer, which is why i say "anti-fog properties" to add a little subtle clarification. I don't doubt your experience with them fogging either, because the anti-fogging capability depends on outdoor humidity, temp, and how much a person perspires and if they are breathing all over the shield like a salivating dog. But I have seen and owned helmets that fog up in seconds, rather than minutes, and the Exo's visor is very good in this respect compared with any brand of single pane visor. Likely the tint visor seeming to be worse is because it is darker already so any less light getting in only compounds the situation.

re: "Plus scorpion puts measurements on their site for their helmets and those are pretty accurate."

You have to consider the overall SHAPE of your head too.

Sure Scorpion knows the size measurement of there helmet. As I mentioned in my original post, people have different head SHAPES as well as sizes. (About 5 distinct and common head shapes that I've seen regularly). The hat-size measurement (which enough people do incorrectly), is for ONE part of your head. One CIRCUMFERENCE measurement only. It is very important for sure, but people have a different overall head shape to accomodate as well (and some people do have really hard to fit heads - they might be aliens so we shoot them when we spot them just to be safe) - anyway - peoples complete lack of experience in fitting a helmet is the biggest issue facing a helmet buyer. I still cant believe how many people dont know how a boot or glove is supposed to fit, let alone a helmet. Certain helmet brands or models just dont fit everyone.

A helmet is bloody important for those that value there heads, and trying on some brand in person with someone who knows how to explain how to get the best fit to you is important to get a feel. In my experience (having fitted probably 100 people per year for helmets), onroad, off-road, raced, and crashed and kept on racing over years -- and having attended Arai (and Scorpion and other) seminars which completely support my findings -- leads most people to choose a helmet that is at least one size too large. I always encourage people to wear a helmet for about 5 minutes, etc, because it starts to feel more normal. It usually feels too tight if it is right. But the soft interior breaks in after a couple rides and then fits as good as it ever will. And a very good helmet in the right size fits very good for 5 years+. A too big helmet "feels good" for 3 weeks. It takes someone enough time to figure out there helmet is too big, so that it is sometimes to late to return it.

As an example: Arai uses 3 distinct head models and designs 3 different head shapes for helmets (round, oval, long oval), Shoei has 2 as do others. Arai and others have a range of different shell sizes for different head sizes, and many other manufacturers only make 1 shell and then try to (poorly) accommodate all head sizes into one shell size. Lots of cut-backs in design. If you learn WHY Arai helmets are so highly respected, then you will learn to look at all other helmets more accurately. There are lots of good helmets out there, and for sure no matter what you pay, getting as best fit as possible has huge advantages in daily comfort, noise, and protection in a crash.

You may be in a tough spot with not many dealers around, and a bargain is always a lure...

In the same breadth, due to different physical builds of people often one brand of leathers fits very differently despite the same number for chest measurement. I often refer to one brand (like Joe Rocket) as an American fit (little fatter (chuckle) or chunkier) and then European fit (like Alpinestars), as a more athletic, slender fit. Over years you find certain brands follow trends in there size modeling and they change them. Alpinestars has made some of there jackets fit in a more American way. They accomodate the market, but Alpinestars race suits (which I currently wear - an SX-1) still fit like they always have...

food for thought for other people trying on helmets out there...

Best luck in a decent fitting helmet, and hopefully the creaking interior of your Exo doesn't become too annoying. It's sort of like creaking car interiors and mostly an annoyance when you yank them on your head. Other than that for <$100 if it fits well, it'll do the adequate protection if you need it.

It just took 2 seconds to find this basic info:
http://www.araiamericas.com/helmets/interiorshapes.pdf
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)