2011 Triumph Speed Triple - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2011 Triumph Speed Triple is...

You may select 1 option

View results

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

Re: 2011 Triumph Speed Triple - COOL WALL VOTE: In progress

#11 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

Just a cool vote, for me. I've always liked the Speed Triple, and admire the evolutionary performance improvements with the 2011 version.

I really dunno about the headlights, though. The previous Speed Triple looked like a crashed open class sportbike with a headlight cobbled together from whatever you could find, which is exactly the streetfighter aesthetic. The new one, particularly with the headlight and those odd "wings" on the side, looks a bit too "designed", IMHO. Granted, this is nitpicking on an otherwise amazing bike.

As an aside, I would've given an awesome vote for the smaller Street Triple (although I think that bike wouldn't provoke enough debate for the Cool Wall).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:Just a cool vote, for me. I've always liked the Speed Triple, and admire the evolutionary performance improvements with the 2011 version.

I really dunno about the headlights, though. The previous Speed Triple looked like a crashed open class sportbike with a headlight cobbled together from whatever you could find, which is exactly the streetfighter aesthetic. The new one, particularly with the headlight and those odd "wings" on the side, looks a bit too "designed", IMHO. Granted, this is nitpicking on an otherwise amazing bike.

As an aside, I would've given an awesome vote for the smaller Street Triple (although I think that bike wouldn't provoke enough debate for the Cool Wall).
The smaller Street Triple is a great idea from Triumph, although I wish they made it (like the Speed) bigger. Have you ever rode it?
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#13 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

totalmotorcycle wrote:The smaller Street Triple is a great idea from Triumph, although I wish they made it (like the Speed) bigger. Have you ever rode it?
Nope, haven't even straddled one at a standstill :( (By the way, I think the Street Triple R has a slightly taller seat because of the slightly different geometry, although I don't know if it'll be enough to make a difference in comfort).

Aside from the Speed and Street triples, there are a ton of interesting middle and open class standards available, and I hope they're all successful. More sales = more choices for everyone.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:The smaller Street Triple is a great idea from Triumph, although I wish they made it (like the Speed) bigger. Have you ever rode it?
Nope, haven't even straddled one at a standstill :( (By the way, I think the Street Triple R has a slightly taller seat because of the slightly different geometry, although I don't know if it'll be enough to make a difference in comfort).

Aside from the Speed and Street triples, there are a ton of interesting middle and open class standards available, and I hope they're all successful. More sales = more choices for everyone.
I'll have to pay more attention in the show room to the Street Triple R...I have sat on the Street Triple and it's a small bike (I don't fit Ducati Monsters either). But you are right, the more middle and open class standards that are available the more choice for all! :D

I have to say this middle weight from Honda was very comfortable: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 600ABS.htm

I think the Speed Triple and Street Triple will continue to be a success for Triumph, they are great designs and have been improved over the years. These 2 models are great examples of not following the crowd and thus giving Triumph a much sought after image.

Mike

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#15 Unread post by sunshine229 »

So unless anyone else votes, I've just broke the tie... :shock:

I had a super hard time deciding with this one. On one hand I absolutely LOVE the looks of this bike, and you guys would know from the Unobtainium thread that I would buy the 2002 "Pink" one they came out with.

But after 2002 (when I couldn't get the "pink" one anymore) I started to like it a little less. When I sit on the Speed Triple in the showroom I find the bike crunched and my back doesn't take too well to the riding position.

Thus, although it is only one small notch down from awesome it ended up as a cool for me. But that's a WICKED COOL vote from me!!!

:mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Wow, voting is very close!

And so Sunshine229 breaks the voting tie to make this bike Cool rather than awesome. Definately a great debate on a bike that's evolved over the years and is so different to what is out there. It will now be added to the Cool Wall Page: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/coolwall/index.htm

Our next bike will definately have you talking about it, I'm just putting it up now...

Remeber, every Friday a new bike goes up to discuss and vote on, don't miss expressing your opinion~!

Mike

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Re: 2011 Triumph Speed Triple - COOL WALL VOTE: COOL

#17 Unread post by Kingshead »

I voted cool because it's British but I'm just not a sport bike fan.

My car:

Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Kingshead wrote:I voted cool because it's British but I'm just not a sport bike fan.

My car:

Nice car! It must be very rare in your area.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#19 Unread post by mogster »

Much as I love the Speed Triple I had to vote only cool cos ~ I really don't like the new headlights. I agree that they are over designed & Triumph should be proud of the retro look they are known for.

Also although I haven't sat on one yet I suspect it will be too low. I got my '09 SE after trying many bikes & itis the perfect height for me. The Street Triple as too low.

Lighter weight may well feel good & the overall look is still pretty funky. X :party: :uk:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#20 Unread post by Kingshead »

totalmotorcycle wrote:
Kingshead wrote:I voted cool because it's British but I'm just not a sport bike fan.

My car:

Nice car! It must be very rare in your area.
It's very rare everywhere, less than 5000 made of the series II in a 3 year period. It's actually the rarest of the fixed head coupe E-Types, not counting the lightweight racing version.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.