I thought bikers were supposed to be tough

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Re: I thought bikers were supposed to be tough

#11 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

I got up early to do something else today, but this post has caught my eye...

I've only seen the recent posts of Kingshead and still I quite easily side with his statements and concerns. I like people with an opinion and a little self confidence to back it up as well as learn a little from others doing the same.

Ive seen hilariously dull, uninformed and mindless responses from people who are claiming/trying to be helpful to other bikers (er, motorcyclists), often from mods, which is a great diservice to the community. People with nothing of value to say, often open there mouths and turn a question from another rider from an evolution of thought into the opposite...

One great recent example that springs to mind involves a Harley Roadking being compared to a Honda Goldwing -- if it wasnt for the humour I found in the responses it would contain about -25% value as a legit posting.

"If you can't annoy somebody with what you write, I think there's little point in writing." - Kingsley Amis, British novelist, 1971 --- a funny anecdote, cuz you sure cant please everyone, and if they have a different opinion then it too should be said. It's through seeing other people's DIFFERENCE OF OPINION that one more clearly sees themselves and others. So if I kick over his Honda Shadow (metaphorically as is the only reality in the forum available) and he pisses in my full face helmet (LOL) then we may have achieved some worthwhile discussion today. Morals and customs are different the world over and they are largely taught. Some basic guiding morals like say "the 10 commandments" are accepted by a much larger population, but even those are open to a difference of opinion. Start counting the number of gods in peoples worlds, Money being one god often forgotten, and you will find huge differences of opinion, let alone this small world of motorcycling. So just let people get it out there and talk about it, and there dreams, values and experiences. It might not be fun all the time, but it can be fun more of the time when people are open about it. If people arent up for a little tussle they can bow out, and even in that situation communicating there distate by saying 'no thanks' is an excellent way to get there point across.

//monkey

(sometimes Quiet Monkey and sometimes Quiet!!, Monkey!!) -- it's all part of life.
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#12 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

X
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

I've been hanging out here for 5 years, let me present a little reality as I've seen it.

First, the language filter (censorbot some of us call it) is what it is. The forum owner chose to turn it on. It's his board, he makes the rules. As you discovered, if you feel the need to indulge in "colorful" language, it isn't hard to evade the thing with a few creative misspellings. Use a little discretion and you'll generally not get slapped down for it.

Second, this is one of the more lightly moderated boards on the 'net. Seriously. In 5 years I've seen 3 people kicked off- one for flaming ad hominem attacks on a member, and 2 for being gigantic post ho's. I don't mean major post ho's, I mean GIGANTIC. The only posts I've ever seen edited are when spammers show up trying to push their wares without getting permission. A TON of arguments have happened here without the slightlest interference from a mod.

Third, they don't like the racist and sexist remarks here. Period. If that's an essential part of the interent for you, take it elsewhere.

Fourth, just my 2 cents, spend a couple of weeks getting established here and known a little bit, and they'll basically let you say whatever you want.

By the way, the most hardcore people I know don't have the word "tough" in their vocabulary. They don't talk about "tough".
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#14 Unread post by Gummiente »

QuietMonkey wrote:[Ive seen hilariously dull, uninformed and mindless responses from people who are claiming/trying to be helpful to other bikers (er, motorcyclists), often from mods, which is a great diservice to the community. People with nothing of value to say, often open there mouths and turn a question from another rider from an evolution of thought into the opposite...
If that is truly how you feel about this forum, the members and the moderators, why are you still here? The rules are not that difficult to comprehend, nor are they overly restrictive - but if they're not to your taste, then don't let the door hit you in the "O Ring" on the way out.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#15 Unread post by Kingshead »

Gummiente wrote:
Kingshead wrote:I'm not a hardcore biker, I'm just a realist and don't like walking on eggshells all the time. As stated in my earlier post, I like to rib a little and have a little fun.
No worries on that, a little ribbing between friends is never a problem. It's just when people cross the line by trying to circumvent the word censor and/or make statements of an inflammatory nature (racist, sexist, etc - the usual) that the mods will step in. Not saying you've done that or are doing that now, I'm just letting you know is all.
Ok, sent 3 PM's to the mods requesting info on the sites rules and didn't get a reply for quite some time, thank you for clearing up my questions. As far as sexist or racist comments, NEVER have and NEVER will tolerate this from myself or anyone else. Actually had a little dispute on another forum for calling (no, not on the phone or PM's) a member about his racist remarks and the mods backed HIM. Needless to say I no longer visit that site.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#16 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Gummiente wrote:If that is truly how you feel about this forum, the members and the moderators, why are you still here? The rules are not that difficult to comprehend, nor are they overly restrictive - but if they're not to your taste, then don't let the door hit you in the "O Ring" on the way out.
It must be the thought provoking, insightful responses offered by some users. Plus the above mentioned humour I find in some responses, which helps sustain my own sense of humour. The quality of postings from some people are not the postings of all people, Gumm. Examples present themselves easily enough. There are those people who examine the pros and cons while others aren't able or willing to follow that thought process. A web-site naturally is only as strong as it's members, leaders, etc. and people have different goals in mind for what may appear on the surface as a similar project.

Most of all Gumms, now I am here because I love your Ural hack. Well no, I cannot tell a lie. Your hack is only slightly more endearing as would be an Enfield a welcome replacement for a drag racing Hayabusa.

So welcome to the Soap Box folks --- the church of repentance and worship on TotalMo. Hallelujah brothers and sisters, come to get dirty or come to get soapy clean! The box is yours -- "Go on and get it off your chest... talk about anything..."

In the Soap Box you can believe a Hayabusa has neither pros nor cons or it may be like an Enfield with about 160 more horsepower -- a slight difference, one must concede, but here they're all the same - no debate required. Sometimes the soap box topples and overflows and then it's a tidal wave for the happy go lucky passengers of the Pacific Princess... Love Bikes, exciting and new... whatever you choose... you just cannot lose, so buy one right now ... there on sale anyhow...

Last edited by QuietMonkey on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Gummiente

#17 Unread post by Gummiente »

QuietMonkey wrote:So welcome to the Soap Box folks --- the church of repentance and worship on TotalMo. Hallelujah brothers and sisters, come to get dirty or come to get soapy clean! The box is yours -- "Go on and get it off your chest... talk about anything..."
Within the boundaries of common sense and the parameters of the forum rules - that's all we ask.
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente

#18 Unread post by Gummiente »

Kingshead wrote:Ok, sent 3 PM's to the mods requesting info on the sites rules and didn't get a reply for quite some time, thank you for clearing up my questions.
My apologies that nobody answered your PM's; we mods all have different schedules and it's possible that those who you PM'd simply have not logged on to read them yet. However, if more than a couple days have gone by without a response you can bring that to another mod's attention or PM the administrator of the site.

As for rules, most of the sub-forums have a sticky note explaining the do's and don'ts of each section. Things like swearing and other undesirable remarks, although not specifically mentioned, are not welcome here and the more time one spends surfing this site, the more that becomes apparent. Like I mentioned before, we try to run this as a family friendly, all makes motorcycle enthusiast's forum and, well, after over 3 billion hits we must be doing something right. :)
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I'm going to lock this thread as I think it's been answered very well but I don't want it to spirl out of control either.

Here is the mantra of Total Motorcycle: Friendly, helpful, useful and unbaised.

Always be respectful to others, remember that we DO have under 13 year old riders reading the forums so post accordingly and we are all part of the same family, TMW. :D

If posts are within that, then you are fine. We don't censor or delete posts very often, we don't kick people off for being different, we DO try to keep the community under the TMW mantra.

Let me answer a few posts from above as well.
badinfluence63 wrote:Its unfortunate that forums have become a place generally for exchanging acceptable opinions rather then ones opinion..
That's true for most forums, but not at Total Motorcycle. "exchanging acceptable opinions rather then ones opinion" varies, say you are on a brand specific forum (any) and you say it "sucks", post the same thread on THAT brand forum and they will love you. Here you can do either, but for us, we say "Keep it respectful, helpful and useful"...

QuietMonkey wrote:P.S. I see the computer is altering my language and that's not a good sign for a thread called a soap box which claims to allow the freedom to get things out in the open. :rant:
Just because it's a soap-box doesn't mean anyone has the right to post anything offensive, including bad language. (See above)

jstark47 wrote: I've been hanging out here for 5 years, let me present a little reality as I've seen it.

First, the language filter (censorbot some of us call it) is what it is. The forum owner chose to turn it on. It's his board, he makes the rules. As you discovered, if you feel the need to indulge in "colorful" language, it isn't hard to evade the thing with a few creative misspellings. Use a little discretion and you'll generally not get slapped down for it.

Second, this is one of the more lightly moderated boards on the 'net. Seriously. In 5 years I've seen 3 people kicked off- one for flaming ad hominem attacks on a member, and 2 for being gigantic post ho's. I don't mean major post ho's, I mean GIGANTIC. The only posts I've ever seen edited are when spammers show up trying to push their wares without getting permission. A TON of arguments have happened here without the slightlest interference from a mod.

Third, they don't like the racist and sexist remarks here. Period. If that's an essential part of the interent for you, take it elsewhere.

Fourth, just my 2 cents, spend a couple of weeks getting established here and known a little bit, and they'll basically let you say whatever you want.

Really nice sum up, I couldn't have said it better myself... MANY thanks! :D

Mike

P.S. Remember, Total Motorcycle is a family place, we all are part of the motorcycling family and while familes don't always agree with each other we all share the same love, that of riding, learning, helping others and having fun. :D
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.