Markg1
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

Re: Why are Harleys cool?

#261 Unread post by Markg1 »

I'm seeing all these cars on a motorycylce forum. I thought this thread was titled " why are Harleys cool?" Hmm...so alot of you guys don't like techology but some of these cars that you have posted have every advanced suspensions. So since this thread has taken a new twist I will add my own. I love techology. All of you guys who ride sport bikes have top of the line suspensions...so dont give me that you don't like technology! Most of us ride with a helmet and are always looking for the best and most technologically advanced motorcylce wear that money can buy! And if you think that technology is not important part of motorcyle saftey then your asking for trouble! You might as well ride with shorts, flip flops and a short sleeve shirt! One person actually said that you prefer non-ABS vs ABS...REALLY? Not me! I'm actually thinking of selling my non ABS vrod for a vrod that has ABS. My vmax has ABS and a much more advanced suspension than my vrod and I can feel the difference! I'm all for anything that gives me an advantage! See for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl ... re=related
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

#262 Unread post by Kingshead »

Have you ever watched "Top Gear", they did an episode with a Mercedes with 850hp and the traction control system was totally overwhelmed to the point where the Stig had a hard time keeping it under control. The system couldn't be overidden and the lap times suffered to the point where many inferior cars in less capable hands bettered it. There must be a reason why race cars don't use it, just like front wheel drive. This has also been foisted on the public as safer and better. In the hands of a real driver the non ABS car will always win out. It's only advantage might be on ice or other such surfaces. And even then, with cars designed to run on ice and snow the non ABS cars still win, watch the winter rally championships sometime.

These cars pictured are running double wishbone suspensions that have been around for 60yrs or more. Advanced for economy cars but not true sports cars like Jaguar, Porsche, Ferrari etc. I've been driving true handling cars since the 1970's and they still haven't been able to improve on the designs other than metalurgey techniques. Even the Formula 1 cars are still using this type of set up, so I guess you could call it advanced, just not modern. The normal everyday driver totally out of synch with the driving experience may benefit from ABS as he's practically asleep at the wheel anyways. That's not me, and definitely not why I ride a motorcycle either. I'd be willing to bet the racing bikes don't have it either.

The video is totally meaningless. Two different riders and they definitely had an agenda. Put the same, unbiased, top professional rider on each bike and the results would be much different. Heck, it didn't even appear to be identical bikes, WTF. Totally a staged video.

Martin
Last edited by Kingshead on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Markg1
Elite
Elite

#263 Unread post by Markg1 »

Our very own Al Unser from NEW MEXICO was the 1970 Indianaplois 500 pole sitter at 170.221 mph

Helio Castroneves, 2010 indianapolis 500 pole sitter at 227.97 mph

No technology here!

The effect of antilock braking systems (ABS) on motorcyclist fatal crash risk during 2003-08 was studied by comparing fatal crash rates per registrations of motorcycles with and without ABS. Study motorcycles included those for which ABS was optional equipment and could be identified as present by the vehicle identification number. Fatal motorcycle crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years were 37 percent lower for ABS models than for their non-ABS versions. (reported by IIHS) Maybe this one was staged.

I really starting to like that HARLEY FAT BOB! Does it come with ABS?

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#264 Unread post by Kingshead »

Markg1 wrote:Our very own Al Unser from NEW MEXICO was the 1970 Indianaplois 500 pole sitter at 170.221 mph

Helio Castroneves, 2010 indianapolis 500 pole sitter at 227.97 mph
No technology here!

The effect of antilock braking systems (ABS) on motorcyclist fatal crash risk during 2003-08 was studied by comparing fatal crash rates per registrations of motorcycles with and without ABS. Study motorcycles included those for which ABS was optional equipment and could be identified as present by the vehicle identification number. Fatal motorcycle crashes per 10,000 registered vehicle years were 37 percent lower for ABS models than for their non-ABS versions. (reported by IIHS) Maybe this one was staged.

I really starting to like that HARLEY FAT BOB! Does it come with ABS?

I guess this has nothing to do with aerodynamics, tire technology advancements, engine improvements, it's all suspension design, riiiiight. I do believe it was suspensions you were talking about in your first post wasn't it? Or have you decided that was a lost case so now you are grasping at straws and any and all technological advancements prove your point for you. Don't you think it might also have something to do with improved track conditions? Don't you think driver skill might have advanced in 40yrs? Or did the improved times in running the mile only come from better running shoes too.

If you will notice my bike has no rear suspension at all. This has pros and cons as do all systems on our machines. The hardtail helps put more power to the pavement just as it does for drag cars, it helps to eliminate wallowing side to side in corners from suspension flex, it eliminates the torquing affect of a shaft drive bike. Yes it has it's negative aspects as well but I choose to prefer the hardtail setup, and who are you to try to decide what is best for another rider. Just because you choose to rely on ABS to protect your butt and I choose to rely on my skills as a rider is absolutely none of your business. If I decide to ride without a helmet this is also none of your business, so just mind your own, I think it will keep you well enough occupied.

I think I said equal riders, as in the same rider. Oranges taste different than apples too, they did 100yrs ago and they will 100yrs from now. So lets keep comparing these too. Could it also be attributed to the fact that the ABS models were owned by people who didn't ride their bikes at 90 mph down the highway doing a wheelie, or racing at 170+ mph? Numbers can be skewed to say anything your agenda wants them to say. I live in the real world and don't have my head in the sand being spoon fed whatever the government safety regulatory commissions want me to believe.

I'll take a true drivers car with a soul over these formless eggs that have been foisted on the public any day.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

Markg1
Elite
Elite

#265 Unread post by Markg1 »

Hey relax, it's a forum with a friendly discussion. I'm not attacking you or your bike. I don't even know you. I just so happen to like what technology has done and it's apart of everybody's life. (oh and so is your government!) And as far as taking precautions to save my life...absolutely! I enjoy my life and will take every advantage I can get to stick around here just a little longer regardless of what anybody thinks! Oh one last thing, If you what to ride without a helmet " knock yourself out"!

I still think that fat bob is cool! Anybody out there have one?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#266 Unread post by Wrider »

The thing is, ANY professional rider/driver will tell you that if push comes to shove, you can stop faster with ABS 99.9% of the time.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#267 Unread post by Kingshead »

Wrider wrote:The thing is, ANY professional rider/driver will tell you that if push comes to shove, you can stop faster with ABS 99.9% of the time.
Well I haven't asked 99.9% of the pro's and I really doubt you have either. But in any case, even if what you say in the off chance is true, what happens when it fails when you are depending on it. These things do fail and when they do, just like power steering it doesn't just revert to being the same as not having it, it fails in a way that is always something far inferior.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#268 Unread post by Wrider »

Whoa boy, never said I did. I said ask any pro driver/rider and they'll tell you that ABS outperforms humans 99.9% of the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv3Sacl7JQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0
The first one is Honda's comparison video and I agree is over-exaggerated.
The second one is using three guys to test the 2009 Honda CBR1000RR with and without ABS. One of the riders is MCN's professional performance benchmarker, the second one is a Superstock racer and street rider, the third one I didn't get his credentials other than he rides a K1200.
All agree ABS is superior and more stable, and all three had better braking times with ABS versus without, even though ABS adds more weight.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#269 Unread post by Kingshead »

Your right, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, you did say any, which impies all, just thought giving you an out was warranted but if you don't want it be my guest. You do know when saying all, ever, or any, it automatically makes it a false statement.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

Markg1
Elite
Elite

#270 Unread post by Markg1 »

Wrider wrote:The thing is, ANY professional rider/driver will tell you that if push comes to shove, you can stop faster with ABS 99.9% of the time.
I agree with you 100%! The thing about ABS is the computer will analyze the conditions 1000 times per second. We as humans can't even come close, in particular in a panic! I used to race dirt bikes as a kid and feel that I'm a good rider. I have had some close calls and have been lucky, but I'll take every advantage I can get! I'm curious, do most people use their front break or rear break more?