Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Safety at a Harley Biker Bar

#31 Unread post by Johnj »

Wrider wrote:it burns your o-ring tomorrow
Now that's comedy gold.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Marge
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD ELECTRA GLIDE UTLRA LIMITED

#32 Unread post by Marge »

Wow! Change your attitude. What's so different about a HD rider than any other rider? If you ride like a biker you'll get treated like a biker. Harley riders don't care what you ride. The scary ones out there are the BMW riders.........locally, anyway,..... if you don't dress like they do....which I don't...... Snobs.......... I did meet a group of young BMW riders from California a couple of years ago, at the northern rim of the Grand Canyon, now they were super nice, even dressed like I did. Met a nice BMW dude on top of Mount Evans once. Must be a local thing.

I ride to the Sturgis Rally every year for 10 days, 20+ years in a row so far, doesn't matter if I'm riding my HD, Kawi, BMW or Yamaha, I never fear for my safety. Harley riders are the good guys. They aren't out to impess anyone.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#33 Unread post by ceemes »

Marge wrote:Wow! Change your attitude. What's so different about a HD rider than any other rider? If you ride like a biker you'll get treated like a biker. Harley riders don't care what you ride. The scary ones out there are the BMW riders.........locally, anyway,..... if you don't dress like they do....which I don't...... Snobs.......... I did meet a group of young BMW riders from California a couple of years ago, at the northern rim of the Grand Canyon, now they were super nice, even dressed like I did. Met a nice BMW dude on top of Mount Evans once. Must be a local thing.

I ride to the Sturgis Rally every year for 10 days, 20+ years in a row so far, doesn't matter if I'm riding my HD, Kawi, BMW or Yamaha, I never fear for my safety. Harley riders are the good guys. They aren't out to impess anyone.
I guess it all depends on what type of HD rider you run across, the breed has a lot of sub-species.

One sub-species is the middle aged professional type who is well into their late 40's and beyond. They can be lawyers, doctors, accountants or what have you, generally ride full dressed machines and by and large are an agreeable lot.....discounting the lawyers that is. :lol:

Another sub-species is the Harley Ridus Alotus, basically real bikers who spend more time riding then polishing and pruning their machines. Again a fairly agreeable lot who generally can be identified by the amount of dirt and grime on their machines and riding gear. For a good example of this sub-species, I give you our own Gummiente. Feel free to take him....please. :mrgreen:

One sub-species to be wary about are the so-called 1%'ers aka the outlaw bikers such as the Hells Angels and the like. However, I have ridden with a group of them once while coming back back from Penticton after running across them at the Merrit Chevron while fueling up. While some of the younger associate members gave me a bit of grief about my V45 Sabre, the older full patch guys knew a good classic bike when they saw one and shut the young puppies down. Rode with them all the way to Hope, kinda cool really. So with 1%'ers, it best to be wary and don't push them.

The most dangerous of the HD sub-species are the wanna-be's or posers. You can easily identify them by the amount of chrome on their bikes, the obvious amount of time they spent polishing and pruning not only their machines but also themselves, and by the ridiculously low amount of mileage on their odometres. They also have a fondness for basically unridable custom jobs. These lads are generally high on 'tude and short on manhood...in other words, big ego's, small willies. So they feel they have to prove something by dissing other riders who don't ride either a Harley or Custom. On the road, they are generally easy to get away from, mainly due to their lack of riding skills, going around a simple corner usually suffices in confusing them. If confronted by one in a bar, I recommend either glassing the bugger, or head butting him, though the odds are while he might be big on talk, he most likely wont want to get his expensive brand named riding outfit (can't honestly call it gear) spoiled or soiled.
Always ask why.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#34 Unread post by Gummiente »

ceemes wrote:Another sub-species is the Harley Ridus Alotus, basically real bikers who spend more time riding then polishing and pruning their machines. Again a fairly agreeable lot who generally can be identified by the amount of dirt and grime on their machines and riding gear. For a good example of this sub-species, I give you our own Gummiente. Feel free to take him....please. :mrgreen:
Hey, I wash my Harley once in awhile!

I wash my Jeep once a month, too...

:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride