What makes certain 600cc+ sport bikes not beginner friendly?

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: What makes certain 600cc+ sport bikes not beginner frien

#21 Unread post by Wrider »

storysunfolding wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:There are a few 600cc or bigger bikes that COULD be recommended if you ace the MSF course and are feeling very confident.
Oh trust me, those scores don't mean much. Even then, you were able to ride around a parking lot at some pretty low standards on an underpowered motorcycle below 20 mph. I'll always recommend getting a small bike for a year or two and working on the rider, before you worry about getting anything with real power.
+1
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#22 Unread post by HYPERR »

storysunfolding wrote:
totalmotorcycle wrote:There are a few 600cc or bigger bikes that COULD be recommended if you ace the MSF course and are feeling very confident.
Oh trust me, those scores don't mean much. Even then, you were able to ride around a parking lot at some pretty low standards on an underpowered motorcycle below 20 mph.
The licensing standards in the US are so low and the MSF course so easy, aceing the MSF course (at least in the US) would hardly qualify one as a competent rider.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#23 Unread post by ceemes »

HYPERR wrote:
storysunfolding wrote:
Oh trust me, those scores don't mean much. Even then, you were able to ride around a parking lot at some pretty low standards on an underpowered motorcycle below 20 mph.
The licensing standards in the US are so low and the MSF course so easy, aceing the MSF course (at least in the US) would hardly qualify one as a competent rider.
Which is why I strongly favour graduated licencing schemes and wish BC at least would impliment HP restrictions on new riders like they do in the UK. Season has really just gotten underway here full force, and I am starting to see a lot of noobs out there on shiny new 600RR's and no skills. Frightening to say the least.
Always ask why.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#24 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Tiered licensing is ideal.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#25 Unread post by Gummiente »

storysunfolding wrote:Tiered licensing is ideal.
Has worked well in Germany for decades.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#26 Unread post by Wrider »

Gummiente wrote:
storysunfolding wrote:Tiered licensing is ideal.
Has worked well in Germany for decades.
My dad has a friend that works for Audi as a test engineer. He and his wife travel regularly between the US and Germany, and she doesn't have a license there, because it's "too much hassle" to get one. But she easily got a license here in the states, and can't even tell you what she's driving when her husband is the engineer working on it!

I think tiered licensing is a very good thing, only thing is that like they already have farm exceptions for farm kids to start driving at 14, they've already been driving larger vehicles than most of us ever will by that age, so we should keep that full IMO.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

capena91
Regular
Regular
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 09' FZ6R

#27 Unread post by capena91 »

I got my hands on a 2009 fz6r as a beginner bike. It felt really comfortable being more of a natural sitting position and the throttle was really smooth. It my first bike and I hope I didn't over shoot it lol.

jackacid
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650

#28 Unread post by jackacid »

What about a '85 Nighthawk 650? It's a standard bike and it's being given to me (needs some work, but a lot less than buying a used bike in running condition.)

Anyway, I have completed my MSP but am an inexperiened rider. My pros are I am in my mid 30s, am very safety conscious and plan to take my time.

Any serious concerns about a bike this big for a beginner?

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#29 Unread post by agraebner »

In my opinion for a person who is being careful, and has taken a course, and can ride with a knowledgeable friend for a little while before being turned loose...... A nighthawk could be a good bike. Keep in mind that it has 20 + hp more than the typical range for beginner bikes. There is no rush or surge of power that the sport bikes have. The general character of the bike lends itself very well to learning on. I believe this is why the courses around here use nighthawk 250 for teaching. Just be careful keep your wrist down to avoid unintentional throttle bumps at low speed as this motor produces a very ample supply of torque.
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#30 Unread post by Kal »

puck me. Did I just see a post by Hyperr I agree with?

I may have been at work for too long.

Short version is that Bikes are like dogs.
Push any dog too far and it will bite you, how bad that bite will be depends on the breed of dog in question. A pitball while unforgiving of mistakes can normally be handled perfectly safely by someone who knows what they are doing. However most people getting them as first dogs don't have a clue and want them for pose value which is why we now have dangerous dogs laws over here.

Back on to bikes
A bike that has a 'commuter' tagline (usually a twin) has predictable linear power output, probably around 60bhp so not horrendously quick (Will hit 110mph rather than 160mph), brakes that are more forgiving of panic braking and be better balanced than a supersports 600
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman