zapblam
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1982 GN125

GS500 ergo and highway comfort compared to small cruiser

#1 Unread post by zapblam »

The questions are about highway ergo and comfort, not speed. Still iffy on the sport look bike ergos.

Would a GS500\windshield\box or bags be better or worse ergo wise than a cruiser\windshield\bags? Wind and seating position.
Would the GS500F be any better?

Just curious. I have only imagined myself on cruisers. You guys just had to toss the GS500 idea into my brain. Out of character bike choice.....may look silly wearing work boots and grubby clothes on a sport looking bike.

In an earlier topic in quest to find a good cheap reliable utility daily highway commuter bike. Had mind set on a Vstar650\windshield\bags or Vulcan 500\wind\bag. These would be great for what I need. Any bike I get would never see over 80mph....if even that. Speed limit is 60-70mph. Straight flat highway 20min each way. No twisties anywhere near here.

Will probably get one of the cruisers....waiting till fall prices......BUT

Whatever bike I get will be driven till its worn/dead or 10 years. At 50 will rethink bike needs :)

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: GS500 ergo and highway comfort compared to small cruiser

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

It's all about personal preference. Some people are more comfortable on a full on supersport than on a cruiser. Personally I'm more comfortable on long rides on the GS500.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

zee
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GS500F

#3 Unread post by zee »

Wrider wrote:It's all about personal preference. Some people are more comfortable on a full on supersport than on a cruiser. Personally I'm more comfortable on long rides on the GS500.
+1.

I ride a GS500F, my husband a V-Star 650 Classic. I think his seat is more comfortable and I like the windshield on it better, as it actually blocks the wind. :lol: Yet I still prefer mine, as do our sons (18 and 21, 6'3"+). He likes his better. For a 20min ride, I would think if you go sit on one of each you'd have a decent idea of your own preference.

gsJack
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 02 GS500

#4 Unread post by gsJack »

zapblam wrote:The questions are about highway ergo and comfort, not speed. Still iffy on the sport look bike ergos.

Would a GS500\windshield\box or bags be better or worse ergo wise than a cruiser\windshield\bags? Wind and seating position.
Would the GS500F be any better?............................................................................Whatever bike I get will be driven till its worn/dead or 10 years. At 50 will rethink bike needs :)
At 50 I wasn't even thinking seriously about a bike yet, I bought my first bike a CB400T in 1984 at age 52 on the spur of the moment and haven't stopped riding year around in the almost 27 years and 390k miles since. I traded the CB400 in on a CB750 6 months and 6k miles later but used up/wore out the CB750, CM400T, and CB650SC that followed. In March of 99 I bought a new 97 GS500E and my "sporty bike" years began at age 66. I put 80k miles on the 97 GS when it was totalled and replaced by my current 02 GS that has 86k miles on it now so I've done my last 12-13 years and over 160k miles on the GS500s.

I use 2 windshields on my GS500 changing it twice a year, a big Plexi 2 for winters here in NE Ohio and a smaller Spitfire for summers. I've done quite a few 400-500 mile days on the GSs getting to the mountains of upstate NY and down to the Smokies to play and the GS has been a blast doing it. I find the small Spitfire quite adequate for 70-75 mph interstate travel with a FF helmet but it's hard to beat the Plexi 2 here in Jan-Feb.

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#5 Unread post by JVRR »

GS500 is a hoot and comfortable to boot. I have no reservations about getting over to Eastern Washington this summer (about six hours), and had it at 108- not maxed... so it leaves little to desire. Though it lacks zip at high speeds, on the lower speeds it has plenty of get-up-and-go.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

JVRR wrote:and had it at 108- not maxed...
I may or may not have "accidentally" exceeded the speed limit in Phoenix while "trying to clean carbon deposits off of the valves" of a friend's GS500. This experience, if it did happen, may or may not have ended up with me getting a warning from a cop for doing 115 in a 65 zone. On a GS500.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha