Screwed up registration

Kat
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Screwed up registration

#1 Unread post by Kat »

Because I'm an idiot, I clicked the wrong button when registering and accidentally told the system I'm under 13. Imagine my surprise to get an email saying that my parent or guardian needs to sign something to allow me to register, considering I haven't been 13 for 15 years!

This username is correctly registered under another email address, but I really don't want to use that address because it's not my "spam" email address that I always use to register for forums. Is there any way to throw out the mistaken registration and use that email address again?

Aside from the fact that your first impression of me is now that I'm an idiot...I joined because I'm slightly considering thinking about getting a bike. I've never ridden, but it might be fun to try. Much of my decision will be based on logistics... would I be able to get permission to have a bike at my apartment (we're required to get permission, and nobody at my building has a bike so maybe that's because they're not allowing anyone--the lot isn't that big), is it worth it since I live in MI and would only be able to ride it half the year and would be paying for something that sits the other half of the year, could I afford it (my insurance is up ever since I found out last winter what black ice doesn't look like... supposedly they can only raise my rate for three years, and I have a year and a half to go...but somehow my guess is that it magically won't go back down when the three years are up), etc. Also, the nerves about injury, of course--I swear some people don't see me in my car, forget anything smaller.

But, I'm thinking about it and weighing my options and learning what I can. I may never decide to do it, but I'll never know without a bit of research, eh? Excited to learn more.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Screwed up registration

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Welcome Kat to the Total Motorcycle Community!

I can fix that mistake for you by deleting that account, just PM me the email address you used and the member name you picked. I can also change your "Kat" member name's email to that other one as well if you like. :D

Glad you joined up, no, I don't think you are an idiot for clicking on the "I'm under 13" option, it does happen to others too.

As for getting a bike, like anything, there are good points and bad points. We all ride because for us, the good points outweight the bad points. Some of the good points for you would be freedom on the road that you can't get in ANY car, motorcyclists and really friendly and helpful people who will stop and help you out, cheap insurance, cheap to fill up and the best, it is REALLY fun. :D

If you wear the proper gear, take a proper safety course (A motorcycle safety foundation course) and look where you want to go, you'll be fine, really.

What type/style of bike interests you most?

Welcome to the community!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Kat
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by Kat »

Thanks, PMing!

One of these days I'll call my insurance agent just for the hell of it and ask him. You never know.

I've sorta fallen for the Honda XL250, but that's only without ever laying hands on one so who knows if I'd actually like to be on it. Luckily there are some really cheap MSF classes near me, so if I was willling to shell out for the required helmet and jacket, I could give it a whirl...been thinking about it. :)

Hondagirl
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Motard XR400

#4 Unread post by Hondagirl »

Kat wrote: I've sorta fallen for the Honda XL250
That's a nice bike!!! :D

Welcome to TMW :welcome2:
Honda Motard XR400
Traded: Honda SL230 and Yamaha XJR400

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Kat, all done. :D

Oh, don't forget to check out the Ladies Forum while you are here. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14

#6 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi Kat :wave:

:welcome2:

Good on you to start researching before you jump right in. You must be a very logical person. :mrgreen:

Taking the MSF would be a great thing to try, it will definitely help you decide whether you want to continue or not.
Andrea :sun:

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Welcome to the site.

I agree with Andrea. Sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. It's designed for the beginning rider and progresses from simple to more difficult over the course of 15 hours. You'll learn about the bike, gear, and being safe. There's truly no better way to learn to ride and the best part is that they provide you a bike to learn on so you don't drop yours!

Check out www.msf-usa.org to find a class in Michigan near you.

I used to live in Petoskey, Mi and I still found it worth it. You can always have seasonal insurance on motorcycles too!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Katharine
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: computer chair

#8 Unread post by Katharine »

Hondagirl wrote:
Kat wrote: I've sorta fallen for the Honda XL250
That's a nice bike!!! :D

Welcome to TMW :welcome2:
I love the vintage bikes and it seems from what I've read to be a little workhorse. I'm biased toward Honda anyway because Civics have been all I've ever owned. :) Very reliable.

Is a vintage bike a bad idea to buy, or no? Are they like cars in that it'd be pricey to fix due to scarcity of parts? Not sure how much of a mechanic I am, either, but with a bike I'd be willing to learn--wouldn't need to lift it and junk to work on it like a car, and I'm not stuck stranded if I mess it up or a job takes several days, unlike if I broke my car or had to do a long repair.
totalmotorcycle wrote:Kat, all done. :D

Oh, don't forget to check out the Ladies Forum while you are here. :D

Mike
Been there. :) Love it.

sunshine229 wrote:Hi Kat :wave:

:welcome2:

Good on you to start researching before you jump right in. You must be a very logical person. :mrgreen:

Taking the MSF would be a great thing to try, it will definitely help you decide whether you want to continue or not.
I'm logical AND what my partner would call "risk-averse." So tons of research before I'd ever do anything.
storysunfolding wrote:Welcome to the site.

I agree with Andrea. Sign up for a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course. It's designed for the beginning rider and progresses from simple to more difficult over the course of 15 hours. You'll learn about the bike, gear, and being safe. There's truly no better way to learn to ride and the best part is that they provide you a bike to learn on so you don't drop yours!

Check out http://www.msf-usa.org to find a class in Michigan near you.

I used to live in Petoskey, Mi and I still found it worth it. You can always have seasonal insurance on motorcycles too!
I love the idea of this course. According to the Secretary of State website, there's a course at Schoolcraft College in Metro Detroit for $25. Can't beat it. The only thing is that you do have to bring all your own gear, so I'd have to invest in jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet.

I didn't know there was such a thing as seasonal insurance! That'd be great. My coworker pointed out that I could possibly store the bike in our large garage at work over the winter since I live in an apartment (it's huge, there's plenty of room, and it's unlikely anyone there would care) so I'd just need to figure out where to keep it in summer and whether our management co. would even give me permission to have one.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Double check on the minimum gear requirements. Often you can wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a pair of garden gloves in these classes. Sure a good lid might set you back a $150 or so, but most of these courses cost $200+ around the country.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Katharine
Regular
Regular
My Motorcycle: computer chair

#10 Unread post by Katharine »

storysunfolding wrote:Double check on the minimum gear requirements. Often you can wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt and a pair of garden gloves in these classes. Sure a good lid might set you back a $150 or so, but most of these courses cost $200+ around the country.
Yep, I can wear a long-sleeved shirt. I guess it might not be a bad idea--I can't imagine I'd be going fast enough in the course to do a whole lot of damage if I fell over, so something long-sleeved and heavy-duty would probably do me, esp. if I threw elbow pads underneath or something. Maybe even a cheap, beat-up thrift store leather jacket.

The helmet I could always hang onto in case I decide I don't like riding myself and my partner ever gets another bike like he keeps saying he wants to do. THey say also "goggles or glasses even with a full-face helmet" but I assume my regular glasses might meet that requirement...they can't honestly expect me to fit glasses, AND goggles that are big enough to fit over glasses, under a helmet... (and if they do, I guess I'd just throw on my shooting goggles)