EBR (Erik Buell Racing) and Total Motorcycle

What do you think about the return of Erik Buell into motorcycle production?

Awesome
56%
Good
38%
So-So
No votes
Fail
6%

Total votes: 16

agraebner
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: EBR (Erik Buell Racing) and Total Motorcycle

#11 Unread post by agraebner »

It would be great to see, someone looking to make anything and make it well and not for numbers, make it to a giant success. Unfortunately the system feeds the opposite. WE THE PEOPLE must support this kind of person. The hard part is I cant afford to buy anything from this fella and I dont see anyone around my area able to do so either. I do not see a large support base for them. I wish them all the best and I'm sure he can build some amazing machinery. Maybe he will revolutions motorcycles.....
1984 Honda Magna 700, 1987 CBR1000F, 1991 Nighthawk 750, 1994 FZR600, and for the dirt 1995 KTM 300 EXC and finally a 1986 KX500

Graunke
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Unread post by Graunke »

I'm pumped for EBR. I wish I could afford to support his new venture. I was a HUGE fan of Buell, and hope to pick up an XB12 next season off the Craigslist.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#13 Unread post by Wrider »

I hope he succeeds. If he builds a true American sportbike that is competitive in both performance and price, you have NO idea how many it will sell around here.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#14 Unread post by ceemes »

Wrider wrote:I hope he succeeds. If he builds a true American sportbike that is competitive in both performance and price, you have NO idea how many it will sell around here.
Unless he has some major venture capital backing him up or is ready to go into another partnership with an existing manufacturer, you will not be seeing many of his machines on the track let alone the streets.

I wish him luck, but to be successful and to make an impact you need a number of very important things, wads of cash just being the start. First, even the best most sophisticated and wonderful machine will fail in the market place unless you can mass produce them. Then means having parts suppliers, an assemble line, and skilled workers to put them together.

Next you need a distribution system, a means of inventory control, transportation and a dealership network to sell and service your machines. These are why he first entered into a partnership with H-D, they had all those things that allowed him to design, build and sell his bikes the first time around.

Buell is facing long odds right now, given the current US economy and market place competition. Yes, he has a good brand name and a loyal following, but I don't think he is an any position to take complete advantage of those. At best, I think he will become the sport/racing bike equivilent of Custom Chopper builders. Making some interesting machines but selling to a very limited market. I wish him luck and hope he succeeds.
Always ask why.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#15 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

ceemes wrote:At best, I think he will become the sport/racing bike equivilent of Custom Chopper builders. Making some interesting machines but selling to a very limited market. I wish him luck and hope he succeeds.
I hope he'll sort of be an American John Bloor with Triumph motorcycles; not a niche manufacturer, but one that makes non-mainstream, quirky, characterful bikes at a broad range of price points and sells a reasonable volume of them. Unlikely, but one can always hope.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#16 Unread post by jstark47 »

Grey Thumper wrote:
ceemes wrote:At best, I think he will become the sport/racing bike equivilent of Custom Chopper builders. Making some interesting machines but selling to a very limited market. I wish him luck and hope he succeeds.
I hope he'll be as successful as John Bloor was with Triumph motorcycles; not a niche manufacturer, but one that makes non-mainstream, quirky, characterful bikes at a broad range of price points and sells a reasonable volume of them. Unlikely, but one can always hope.
The difference is Bloor was a very successful real estate developer and had wads of cash from his personal funds to invest. And invest he did: I don't believe Triumph made a profit until 2001 or so. 1984 to 2001 is a long time to run a venture at a loss, especially from 1991 on when it was full-blown manufacturing concern.

Ceemes said much more eloquently and in greater detail what I was trying to say in my Wednesday post above.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#17 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I'm also crossing my fingers that he makes a comeback like how Triumph did. Buell needs to be out there, needs to be affordable and needs to be in the dealerships again.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

jeffo
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: 2002 buell x1 lightning

#18 Unread post by jeffo »

This is a good thing to see. I wish Eric the best of times in this EBR venture. I sure hope that he offers a bike that I can afford. I love the bike he is offering at a limited supply and a hefty price. Whew that price is real scary big. I can't wait to see the rest of the models.