Ladies: What was your greatest challenge - learning to ride?

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: Ladies: What was your greatest challenge - learning to r

#31 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Throttle control definitely comes with practice. :mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

Bella108
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: Honda Magna

#32 Unread post by Bella108 »

Thank you :) My friend gave me a tip to help... Ok I could be better at describing things, but here goes.. He said to rest/hold my fingers at the top part of the front brake ( Not wrapped around as if I were going to stop, just resting on the top so I won't squeeze on accident ) and that combined with the rest of my hand/thumb on the throttle should help to keep me more steady. The next time I am able to get on a bike I will try this and see if it helps :D I am going through a difficult move right now 2 month process! Hopefully this saturday though I can get back out there! :)

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#33 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Sounds good, just don't accidentally grab the brake! :shock:

How is it going otherwise?
Andrea :sun:

Bella108
Rookie
Rookie

#34 Unread post by Bella108 »

Everything is going pretty great thanks! Oh! Other than this big owwww sunburn I got yesterday from riding around for hours in the super hot sun ( the day I didn't wear my suncreen and I am so light my face lightly burns just driving in my car sometimes if it's long distance ha!)

If all goes according to plan ( and lord knows I am not a planner! :shock: ) I hope to get my permit on Tuesday/5th then by Friday or Monday go for my License~! *Yay*
I think I can get my permit pretty easily from studying all the sample tests, but I do see how they sneak in those tricky words to make it harder for whatever reason. I think it's not very nice as the test is to make sure people know the Laws/Common sense/Safety etc. Not an english exam. Thankfully I am super good at English... Not so great with math! Eeek! ha :)

Next step! My first Purchase!

Hope you are having a great Holiday!

Bella108
Rookie
Rookie

#35 Unread post by Bella108 »

I forgot to add when I am Reading/Learning (not the riding part) with the other people and instructor in the class I get super nervous :? As soon as I am back on the bike again though I am feeling great again. Instructors/People who don't seem very ummm... agreeable :wink: = Scary. Me by myself on bike = Happy/Freedom~! :)
The instructors have all been so great and helpful. The people have been a very mixed crowd~ Some act like you are their enemy~! Though others seem very nice, there to learn, and have fun while doing it. :)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#36 Unread post by HYPERR »

Hondagirl wrote:Haha :thankyousign: maybe I was trying to impress you :mrgreen: . It is true though that the test here is much stricter, and its also true we see so few either women riders or larger bikes on the road here since the 'over 400cc' test is even harder than the middle cc test I took.
I think a lot of women don't take the larger cc test because they don't feel they can pass the part of the test where they have to lift a comparable CC bike off the ground.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#37 Unread post by jstark47 »

For my stepdaughter on her new (to her) Sportster, the challeng is turning too wide going around corners. I've ridden her bike, it's definitely capable of turning precisely, so she's not looking where she wants to go, or she's afraid to lean it, or she's stiff-arming it. Frustrating, I'm not sure how to help her. Except she needs to get out practicing more often, she's average two rides a week. It's not enough.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#38 Unread post by Nalian »

The sporty is pretty top-heavy - how fast is she going when she's going wide? Does she ever take the corner well or is it always wide?

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#39 Unread post by jstark47 »

Nalian wrote:how fast is she going when she's going wide?
Not fast. She slows down to a pretty conservative speed going around corners. And this also happens when she's pulling out and turning into an intersection from a stop.
Nalian wrote:Does she ever take the corner well or is it always wide?
Sometimes she does it right, but she's running wide often enough to be a concern to her mother and me.
Nalian wrote:The sporty is pretty top-heavy
This is a 1990 with a 2-gallon peanut tank and buckhorn bars. I'd heard about the top-heavy thing with Sportys, but this one doesn't really feel very top heavy to me. The buckhorn bars take a little getting used to though. All in all it handles a lot better than I expected. (Now getting it stopped on the other hand....)
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Nalian
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#40 Unread post by Nalian »

I had the big tank, so mine was pretty heavy and it was definitely a concern at first. I've never ridden one configured like you described, unfortunately. I have the urge to ask you a million questions but I'm sure you already know what to do, its just a matter of time making it happen.