2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

Your Coolness Factor of the 2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R is..

You may select 1 option

View results

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... X1200R.htm

2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

As the “muscle car” of the motorcycle world, the Kawasaki ZRX1200 has the good looks of yester-year’s Japanese standards. Combined with a relatively upright seating position, the torque of a big-bore engine and sturdy chassis, just looking at its inviting contours makes even the most casual observer want to ride.

In addition to its unique styling, horsepower separates the ZRX1200R from other standards, thanks to an engine tuned with emphasis on low- and mid-range rpm performance. The ZRX1200R engine features electroplated cylinders, which transfer heat much quicker than steel, allowing tighter tolerances to be utilized to generate more power. Pistons with concave domes are found in the lightweight, all-aluminum cylinder block. This translates to a user-friendly street personality and amazing roll-on performance on the highway.

Building on the ZRX1200R’s already incredible torque is the bank of large-bore 36mm Keihin carburetors featuring the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC) throttle position sensor. K-TRIC is connected to the digital ignition system and varies ignition timing according to throttle position and engine rpm so that the ignition compensates for differing engine loads. The result is crisp throttle response and better fuel efficiency, plus the carburetors have coasting enricheners to prevent backfiring.

With so much power on tap, engine vibration had to be reduced, especially in the 2,000-rpm range. Kawasaki accomplished this by designing a diaphragm spring that is placed between the primary gear and clutch housing. The spring not only provides smooth low-rpm operation, it also works with the shift drum and cam profile to help improve shifting of the five-speed transmission.

The four-into-one exhaust system is constructed entirely of stainless steel with a polished muffler. California models have a catalyzer in the exhaust system to reduce emissions without cutting power.

The ZRX1200R’s engine rests in a tubular-steel, double-cradle frame with an additional gusset behind the steering head for greater rigidity. The swingarm pivot is positioned for excellent rear suspension action and to reduce chain-torque reaction. The swingarm features an underside-braced design, and is shaped for increased rigidity.

Driveline lash is reduced with the use of a urethane rear-wheel damper borrowed from the NINJA® sportbike design. Exceptional braking is provided by the dual 310mm front discs with opposed six-piston calipers, while the rear brake uses a single 250mm disc clamped by an opposed twin-piston caliper. Hollow three-spoke wheels grace both ends.

For rider comfort, the ZRX1200 features an upright riding position, while hollow footpegs and rubber-mounted handlebars reduce vibration and make the ride even more enjoyable. Aluminum grab rails are located on both sides of the seat to accommodate a passenger, and the 5.3-gallon fuel tank is specially designed so that a tank bag can be easily installed.

Specifications

Engine: Four-stroke, DOHC, inline four, 16 valves
Displacement: 1,164cc

Starting: Electric

Bore x stroke: 79.0 x 59.4mm

Compression ratio: 10.1:1

Cooling: Liquid

Carburetion: Keihin CVK36 x 4

Ignition: Digital with Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)

Transmission: Five-speed

Frame: Double-cradle tubular steel

Rake / trail: 25° / 4.2 in.

Suspension, front: 43mm cartridge-type fork with preload adjustment and 12-way adjustable compression and rebound damping

Suspension, rear: Braced swingarm with twin shocks, five-way adjustable preload and four-way adjustable compression and rebound damping

Wheel travel, front: 4.7 in.

Wheel travel, rear: 4.8 in.

Tire, front: 120/70 x ZR17 tubeless radial

Tire, rear: 180/55 x ZR17 tubeless radial

Brakes, front / rear: Dual hydraulic discs / Disc

Overall length: 83.5 in.

Overall width: 30.7 in.

Overall height: 45.3 in.

Ground clearance: 5.3 in.

Seat height: 31.1 in.

Dry weight: 492 lbs.

Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.

Wheelbase: 57.7 in.

Colors: Candy Lime Green

* Price and specifications subject to change

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... X1200R.htm
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2005 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - COOL WALL VOTE: VOTE NOW!

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Ok, go for it guys and gals!

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis, pure AWESOMENESS to the Nth degree.

It harkens back to my old KZ550, tho with over twice the CC's. A true naked UJM with clean lines, nice riding position and just enough modern conveniences to bring it up to date. And best yet, none of that Transformer like styling that is plaguing other bike these days.

In a word......SWWWWEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
Always ask why.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

My Vote: AWESOME

I'm sorry, usually I try to wait till a few replies get in before I go and cast my vote and post my message but how can I wait? This bike is to me so classic it's awesomely cool and even has Eddie Lawson heritage behind it (can I have something above Awesome admin please? no? oh ok). :D

If there is a handfull of bike's I've "lusted after" this would be in that group. So classic, so standard, so muscle, so naked bike. To be honest I'm in love with it's looks (80s UJM just screams "motorcycle" to me) and sadly have never ridden one yet (although I have looked MANY times at buying one; I even went to a sellers home and tried to buy one but couldn't talk him down in price and walked away... ah, regret there).

I WISH someone would make a classic looking UJM again like this for sale in Canada (or the USA), they were so do-it-all types of bikes, easy to ride, easy to work on, easy on the butt/body, easy to love. Does everything good, what more could you ask for in a bike?

For the ZRX1200R, the stats are very good, under 500lbs for a 1200cc, large enough tank to tour on and lots of torque and horsepower. I just wish it was available with fuel injection. They STILL make this bike new, but only in Japan.

If I had the money in 2004 I'd have bought one new, but I didn't have the cash. I do now and will be looking at a ZRX when I get back home in Canada or another classic like it. Maybe the fuel injected Kawasaki ZRX1200DAEG from Japan will come over?? :)

2011 Kawasaki ZRX1200DAEG (Japan)

http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/model/zr ... /index.jsp

Model 2011 ZRX1200 DAEG
Car name (common name) ZRX1200 DAEG
EBL Model-ZRT20D
Engine type ZRT20AE
2,150 mm × 770mm × 1,155 mm Length × Width × Height
1,470 mm inter-axis distance
Ground clearance 135mm
Seat height 795mm
Caster / Trail 24 ° 30 '/ 100mm
/ DOHC 4 valve 4-cylinder 4-stroke, liquid-cooled parallel valve system / Engine Type
Total 1,164 cm3 displacement
79.0mm × 59.4mm / 10.1:1 Compression ratio / Bore × stroke
Maximum output of 81kW (110PS) / 8,000 rpm
Maximum torque 107N · m (10.9kgf · m) / 6,000 rpm
Self-starter starting method
Electronic Transistor Ignition advance angle formula
Wet sump lubrication system
Engine oil capacity 3.5 L
Fuel injection fuel supply system
6-speed return transmission format normally chew
Clutch wet multi-plate
1-speed Gear Ratio 2.733 (41/15)
2nd gear 1.947 (37/19)
3-speed 1.590 (32/24)
4th gear 1.333 (32/24)
5-speed 1.153 (30/26)
6-speed 1.035 (29/28)
Secondary reduction ratio 1.615 / Primary reduction ratio (84/52) / 2.444 (44/18)
Double-cradle frame format
Before telescopic suspension system (43mm diameter inner tubes)
After the swing arm (oil shocks)
Previous 115mm wheel travel
After 122mm
120/70 ZR17M / C Tires Front Size (58W)
180/55 ZR17M / C after (73W)
J17M / C × MT3.50 wheel size before
J17M / C × MT5.50 post
310mm dual disc brakes format before OD
After Single 250mm (OD)
Steering angle (left / right) 38 ° / 38 °
Vehicle weight 246kg
Fuel unleaded premium gasoline
Fuel tank capacity 18 L
Seating capacity 2
Specific fuel consumption areas (when the car Nanori 2) 25.8km / L (Ministry reported the 60km / h ·)
Minimum turning radius 2.7m
Ivy Green Candy Color
Magnesium Metallic Grey
MSRP 1,140,000 yen
(Excl. 1,085,715 yen, 54,285 yen tax)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

ceemes wrote:Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis, pure AWESOMENESS to the Nth degree.

It harkens back to my old KZ550, tho with over twice the CC's. A true naked UJM with clean lines, nice riding position and just enough modern conveniences to bring it up to date. And best yet, none of that Transformer like styling that is plaguing other bike these days.

In a word......SWWWWEEEEEEETTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't agree more. Kawasaki has made some remarkable and classic bikes over the years. The new style of bikes really doesn't appeal to me as much as the UJM styling of the past... maybe because I'm older? maybe because I started riding early 80's bikes? maybe because the media/TV/movies said that's what a bike is supposed to look like? I donno, but I agree... it is SWEET!

Mike

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

So cool, it's at absolute zero.

I suspect this will be the Cool Wall's most predictable result ever (well, so far).
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Grey Thumper wrote:So cool, it's at absolute zero.

I suspect this will be the Cool Wall's most predictable result ever (well, so far).
I just had to find an Absolute Zero pic for you...(I uploaded it into the TMW photo gallery if you need to link it anytime)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I have some sad news. I just heard back from Kawasaki Motors Corp USA and "At this time there are no plans to bring back the ZRX model".

Sorry folks, but I thought I'd ask them. I did inform them of this thread and how well their ZRX is doing so I'm sure they will be watching and reading your comments here.

Mike

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#9 Unread post by jaskc78 »

Awesome. Just plain, flat-out, unmistakably, pure, awesome.

Everything from the swingarm and outer-mounted rear shocks to the minimalist wind deflector and smooth, sexy lines of the tank--undeniable. That is motorcycle. Not "a" motorcycle, just motorcycle. Even the radiator fades away to blend in with the lines of the exhaust headers. I bet that motor puts out an absolute symphony of understated power--a true rider's siren song. Hell, it's even got me waxing a bit poetic.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

I don't know what all the excitement is about.... :dontgetit:

It's basically a replica of the Kawasaki ELR. Hardly any improvements considering the ELR was made about 30 years ago. :roll:

Still a nice looking bike. I voted cool.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS