Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650

Are rider denim pants worth two squats?

#1 Unread post by jackacid »

Hi everyone --

New rider here, looking at getting some pants but I am not interested in leather, at all.

I have found things like Lowdown jeans (Shift brand) etc. but am not sure if they are actually worthwhile or if they are just plain denim? I obviously want something that will work similar to textile, etc. Otherwise, why not just wear jeans?

Anyway, just looking for clarification of how strong these types of materials are before I order anything.

Thanks!

LadynRed56
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Are rider denim pants worth two squats?

#2 Unread post by LadynRed56 »

Check out Draggin' Jeans - they've got a Kevlar lining in them for much better protection.
http://www.dragginjeans.net/index - that's the original Australian site - bigger selection. In the US, it's kinda limited http://www.dragginjeans.com/.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

I think the Lodown jeans have Kevlar also. There's also several other brands besides Draggin and Lodown.

I don't use these kinds of pants, but this what I've heard/learned: they have Kevlar in the knees and butt, but unlike overpants they have no armor. So they'll protect you against abrasion in certain areas, but they won't cushion your joints from impact. Some people find them hot in warm weather. They're better than plain ordinary jeans, but inferior to overpants or leathers.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#4 Unread post by HYPERR »

I usually wear overpants with armor but sometimes I will wear my armor-less but Aramid enhanced Icon Super Duty pants, and I will wear my Fox knee armor underneath.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

zeligman
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: 02 Suzuki Volusia 800 (in salvage :( )

#5 Unread post by zeligman »

I have 2 pairs of draggin jeans and joe rocket textile overpants - the jeans came with some knee and hip armor attached by velcro. I sewed them in - instead, and i unfortunately tried out the hip armor.

hip helped a bit in the low speed crash - bruises only. kevlar did fantastic. EMS had a hard time cutting through them to work on my leg. I was wearing timberland boots with steel shank and ankle padding, but wasn't enough - the only thing that would have prevented my leg and ankle breaks were the race boots - and they might have just translated the injury higher up.

My gloves and jacket did their jobs too - was wearing mesh with armor - held up fine - elbow, shoulder and back armor spread the impact out so it was only bruising and no breaks upper body.

that's my nickel :P
still recovering - back to crutches, then walking with a stick, then running - then hopefully riding again!

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#6 Unread post by sapaul »

I got one word for you

Blood poisoning.

Normal jeans have a loose weave that will tear and burst on impact leaving your skin open to abrasion. Not only do you have to suffer the pain of getting that stuff scrubbed out but the roasties are difficult to treat and septicemia can set in causing major complications. Ballistic nylon and tight weave cordura are the best.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

Thumper
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: '14 BMW F700GS

#7 Unread post by Thumper »

I've got a few pair of riding jeans...Australian Draggin camos, Shift jeans, and Icon Superduty. I went down at low speed in a pair of Icons and they held up well, but it was very low speed. The AU Draggin jeans have really good Kevlar coverage (better, I think, than the US version) and are very comfortable, but the Shift jeans have material over the Kevlar, which might help avoid abrasion even better (hope to never test this, though...)

They're all better than regular jeans, but I doubt they're as good as my Olympia Airglide pants...

jackacid
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650

#8 Unread post by jackacid »

Thanks a million for the reply guys. You gave me some good starting leads...

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#9 Unread post by jmillheiser »

I know one guy off another forum who had a bike vs deer at 50mph and was wearing the icon jeans. The jeans did their job and he was only bruised but not road rashed on his legs other than a tiny bit of minor rash at the edge of the coverage areas. His worst injury from that crash was some rash on his lower back where his jacket rode up.

I've used the joe rocket jeans before myself, they were plenty comfy (if a little warm on hot days). Never had to test their crash worthiness thankfully.

RockBottom
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2010 BMW R1200R

#10 Unread post by RockBottom »

I think the bottom line is that riding jeans are more protection than regular jeans, but less than ballistic riding pants. So it just depends on how willing you are to take some additional risk for comfort.

Personally, I almost always wear riding jeans or cargo pants, or logger jeans when the temperature is above 85. I find even mesh ballistic pants unbearable.
planet Earth is blue
and there's nothing I can do