Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2009 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200L

New to the forum

#1 Unread post by the machine »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello! This looks like a good place to ask questions and learn more about motorcycles.

After nearly 3 years, I still consider myself fairly new to riding. I took a basic safety course before purchasing a bike, then went ahead and bought a Harley Davidson Sportster the day after I received my endorsement. Of course, H-D's are a bit harder to handle than the nice little Honda's that the instructors give you! I spent quite a bit of time in a parking lot learning how to handle it before taking it out on the open road. Even now I am trying to perfect those tricky parking lot maneuvers. (From what I see, most people never do, lol.) Fortunately some great motorcycle cop training videos I have found have been a big help from the very beginning. It's amazing how little you really learn during the safety course.

In a couple of weeks, I'll be going on my first LONG trip down to California and back up Hwy 1 & Hwy 101 up the coast. I can't wait!

Drgnfly83
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2009/Yamaha/FZ-6 Dark Blue

Re: New to the forum

#2 Unread post by Drgnfly83 »

Hi Machine. You are much more advanced at riding than me. There is always someone out there a lot more rookie than you!! Anyways, I wanted to share in some of your excitement. I also am taking a long trip soon however, I am doing the ride from Virginia, down to Daytona Florida for Biketoberfest!!! :) I am super excited. I have been talking to all of my friends and telling them about all these mods I want to do before we go down there because there are going to be so many bikes all done up and they yell at me -- I just got my bike three weeks ago (Apparently, being a chick on a bike is enough to take down there, lol) and they tell me to leave it alone until I can really afford to do the stuff to it I want to do to it.

Anyways, welcome to the site. I am fairly new myself to this site. But hope you find everything you are looking for here!!!

Do you really have to ask why I would want this big vibrating machine between my legs??

the machine
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by the machine »

Thanks for the welcome! Wow, three weeks into riding and already taking a big trip! You are braver than I was when I started.

I laid my bike down twice the first few weeks I had it (both times from a stop, still learning how to handle 700 pounds worth of bike, lol), so I'm glad I didn't do any immediate expensive mods. Since then I have added a little here and there, mostly function over form. I plan to trade up in the next year or two, either to a Deluxe or a Fat Boy Lo (I really like the Fat Boy).

Have fun in Florida and I hope it's not too humid down there!

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#4 Unread post by madjak30 »

Welcome to the forum...I guess it's newbies greeting newbies...this was season two for me...I've gotten over 18,000kms ~11,250miles in over the last two seasons...started on a Suzuki GS500, sold it this spring to another beginner and bought a bit of a beast...Yamaha MT-01...kind of a mixture of your two bikes...sport bike frame, 1670cc cruiser engine (out of the Warrior)...tons of torque & piles of fun to ride...and yeah, I agree about the parking lot stuff...although getting the new bike was almost like starting over again...

The only mod that I did was to add the windscreen from my GS500 (aftermarket item) to my MT-01...just for some weather protection since I use my bike for commuting and touring as well as pleasure riding.

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#5 Unread post by mogster »

Hi there Machine :welcome:

Yet another girlie on a big bike......the guys might be getting worried! :lol:

BTW Dragonfly I have wanted to go to Daytona bikefest for a good while but it's a little further for me! :uk: :lol:
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

the machine
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by the machine »

Hi Madjak, I looked up the Yamaha MT-01 and that is one very awesome looking bike. I can definitely see the appeal of that kind of machine. If ever I am able to get into more of a sport style bike, I will definitely be checking that one out.

Hiya Mogster! I'm definitely used to giving the guys plenty to worry about! Although it seems like more often it's the men applauding women getting into biking while many women still shake their heads and carry on about how dangerous it is. So many married guys I know want to ride but their wives won't let them. I try to tell them forget about the men, just go take a riding course and see what it's about!

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#7 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:welcome2: the machine to TMW.

You'll love Hwy 101. It is a fantastic scenic highway. A joy to ride.

My friend drbar and I did that trip from Vancouver BC to San Francisco in 2006.

Enjoy the forums. :)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#8 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: to the community!!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

blues2cruise wrote::welcome2: the machine to TMW.

You'll love Hwy 101. It is a fantastic scenic highway. A joy to ride.

My friend drbar and I did that trip from Vancouver BC to San Francisco in 2006.

Enjoy the forums. :)
It's been that long ago already??? Dang, time flies...

Welcome to TMW Ms "the machine" This site is full of great advice and info, I know you'll enjoy it and all the friendly denizens that hangout here...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Drgnfly83
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: 2009/Yamaha/FZ-6 Dark Blue

#10 Unread post by Drgnfly83 »

mogster wrote: Yet another girlie on a big bike......the guys might be getting worried! :lol:

BTW Dragonfly I have wanted to go to Daytona bikefest for a good while but it's a little further for me! :uk: :lol:
It should be a major blast. I will make sure to take tons of pictures Mog, and post them up. I am sure I will see pretty much everything out there. Let me know if you choose to make the trip!

Do you really have to ask why I would want this big vibrating machine between my legs??