2012 Harley-Davidson FLD Dyna Switchback - VOTED: COOL

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Harley-Davidson FLD Dyna Switchback is..

You may select 1 option

View results

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: 2012 Harley-Davidson FLD Dyna Switchback - VOTE: In Prog

#11 Unread post by Gummiente »

HYPERR wrote:The only thing that gets me is their arrogance and how they are always trying to patent, trademark or claim originality when many of their ideas were "stolen" from their customers to begin with. :?
I've been told that same thing by a couple long time HD dealers and several people who claim to be "in the know" about the Motor Company's dealings... "stolen" is too gentle a word to describe how some of these ideas came about.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#12 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Gummiente wrote:
HYPERR wrote:The only thing that gets me is their arrogance and how they are always trying to patent, trademark or claim originality when many of their ideas were "stolen" from their customers to begin with. :?
I've been told that same thing by a couple long time HD dealers and several people who claim to be "in the know" about the Motor Company's dealings... "stolen" is too gentle a word to describe how some of these ideas came about.
I think it's great Harely-Davidson are finding ideas for new models and model improvements from their customers, I would like to see more of this from other manufacturers as well, but what type of honor system/reward system do you think H-D needs to put into place if they use a customers idea?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

VI Shadow
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Shadow 1100

#13 Unread post by VI Shadow »

I'm not the expert that many of you are but I think HD has done a great job for a rider like me. Most of the time I take day trips or ride my bike to work. However, there are times when I like that weekend road trip. I love the style and versatility of this bike but would have concerns about the gas tank range. That would be seriously annoying.

As for taking ideas from customers, Isn't that what any customer wants?

Have a good one,

Kent :canada:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

#14 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

VI Shadow wrote: I love the style and versatility of this bike but would have concerns about the gas tank range. That would be seriously annoying. Have a good one, Kent
To be fair, I was really riding the bike like a "sportbike" at the time, really using it's full RPM range and I'm sure it reduced MPG by a fair bit. No one else ran out of gas with that model (It was a Dyna Wide Glide, but same tank size) in the next 3 days, BUT, we did stop sooner than 180km after that. And (to be fair again) the bike didn't strand me, I did reach a gas station as I ran out of gas (had to shake the tank for the last few drops to roll in, litterally).

Did I mention that it is only 1 MPG down from the 96 cu in engine for +6% more power? That's pretty good.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Grey Thumper
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 9
My Motorcycle: 2004 BMW R1150Rockster, 2015 BMW R1200GS

#15 Unread post by Grey Thumper »

I used to like Dynas, especially when they were the only rubber-mounted big twins. They were the sensible Harleys, sort of. I have a fondness for the mid 80's Low Rider Sport; rubber mounted engine, pegs instead of floorboards, twin disks out front, tach, a bit more cornering clearance than average.

This one's pretty meh. Loads of better looking Harleys in the current lineup. If they wanted a light tourer, why not use the V-Rod as a platform? A Rod with hard bags and a detachable windshield, now that's a bike I'd be interested in.
"If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be."

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#16 Unread post by sunshine229 »

I voted cool.

I'm not the hugest H-D fan but this bike is one of the nicer ones, except for the thick fenders. I love the red colour!

It's fab that the hard bags and windshield can be removed without tools and it is the lightest in its class. Those things make it deserve a cool vote from me.

:mrgreen:
Andrea :sun:

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#17 Unread post by HYPERR »

sunshine229 wrote: It's fab that the hard bags and windshield can be removed without tools
That would be quite convenient for thieves too.... :ninja:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: 2012 Harley-Davidson FLD Dyna Switchback - VOTED: COOL

#18 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

It worked. I want to switchback already and i havent even bought one! -- well, it's not that bad, but really likes Ceemes said, a few accessories, and a couple updates are hardly call for hoopla from perspective buyers, but is expected from the H-D marketing machine.

I dont understand Gummi, because he appears to have bolted on accessories that are right out of the H-D accessory catalog and yet sez H-D stole his idea. um..... i think buying off the rack accessories that H-D and others made available for the 2006 dyna that people who commonly ride longest distances might actually want is not inventing anything, it is being a consumer for someone elses ideas.

Now H-D is testing the waters to see if a bike equiped like this right out of the box is popular enough to be a decent seller. They have no better ideas. Oh well. They took the time to style it up a bit with a new set of quick release bags (an option that's been around awhile too). So.... yawn...... These arent exactly new ideas to H-D let alone motorcycling. They are oldskool simple.

The note about limited fuel capacity is significant, and this certainly aint the first time someone has tried to sell a half-assed solution to a "problem".

(I was late to vote, but abstaining from the vote is accurate cuz I couldnt care less - so it's a good way to utilize the voting option to say, meh.)

note re quick detach bags: tool-less but not key-less. i think you can get locks for the quick-release system (or they only quick-release once you have unlocked the bag) -- but again it shows how public opinion can be easily lead astray without the proper info, and i am just as guilty since i didnt even do more than look at the pics and skim the ad-copy. Which just shows how COOL is a perfectly simple, largely subjective, inaccurate voting criterion that works so well for its intended purpose here :D

[edit: the vote option was available still so i took UNCOOL)
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: 2012 Harley-Davidson FLD Dyna Switchback - VOTED: COOL

#19 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

strangely enough i decided to read the press release...

I found it funny that at 700+ lbs it is "the lightest tourer in it's class" and still "94lbs lighter than a Road King" hardy har har... that "cool" sure comes with calories.

oh, and it has footboards, so i guess they are trying to nail down the right stuff to make this thing more viable for long distance riding. So really the fuel tank is the distance limiter (or the seat). I'd guess it'd be able to get 250km with that fuel tank though, but a touring bikes should be more like 350-400km+ range. Probably need 25L+ tank... and that'd ruin the looks (even more) :) But there are many less serious riders on the roads today, and many that buy for style and dreams rather than reality. Live and Learn :)

However i did notice h-d did something smart, they put decent wheel sizes on the thing. It should be a little more neutral handling than a typical h-d cruiser... maybe a little nicer at higher speeds.

So, once again, you cant have everything, but you do get some improvements... although the footboards will probably drag even easier with the smart wheel/tire combo - LOL - so it might be back to square one.. switchback! that is, get rid of the footboards, raise the suspension (2" of rear wheel travel!!! - jeesh lengthen the shocks! the cool is killing my back - hee hee) and now you will have lost alot of that cool all in search of a bike that can carve a proper corner...

jeesh, no wonder i prefer non-cruisers...

it was worth the reminder though.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)