2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO - COOL WALL VOTE: AWESOME

Your Coolness Factor of the 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO is..

You may select 1 option

View results

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: This Week: 2012 Ducati Monster 1100 EVO - VOTE NOW

#11 Unread post by HYPERR »

High_Side wrote:
HYPERR wrote:I have even grown to like the design of the new Monster as well (are you listening High Side?). :laughing:
It's must be the footpeg bracket.... :mrgreen:

The second biggest improvement is the exhaust system - it looks awesome. Maybe Mrs. High_Side could pilot this thing with some platform shoes........
You're right! The one thing I absolutely hated was the mfugly header and the equally mfugly muffler. The header and the muffler on the EVO are quantum leaps in terms of looks. I didn't even notice the footpegs but now that you mention it, this is a huge improvement also. I just looked at the 2009 and the EVO is soooo much better looking because of these improvements.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#12 Unread post by Markg1 »

Sorry guys...I really tried but...FAIL. It does nothing for me!!!!! I'm sure it's a blast to ride but...UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST UGLY!!!!! And only 100 HP. REALLY?!?! What are the quarter mile numbers?
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

A nice FIX from the years of Monsters getting uglier and uglier... I like this version and would love to look at it side by side with the original 1990s bike to really compare how hard it is to improve on what was such a good simple design (while staying DOT-legal, and affordable, etc.)

Unfortunately the small UFO/Acerbis/Polisport twin enduro headlights still look better than what Ducati has put on the Monster today. Not the best looking muffler setup either, BUT light-years ahead of the under-seat versions.

Almost 20 years now, which is a testament to the original. A perfect street bike package - fairly simple, torquey, air-cooled engine, decent chassis, and unique character. A "standard" bike that isnt boring.

Ducati reminded the other manufacturers how to do a standard bike right. Honda had already made the VT650 Hawk (RC31) and albeit a great bike people just didnt get it until a little more power and art were added to the mix. Whereas nowadays a bike like Yam's FZ8 is not as cool as a Monster despite having more horsepower. Yamaha is too stuck on inline-4s in there important street/sport bike range. An FZ8 with a triple or twin (parallel or V) would be completely different. But most of the Japanese manufactuers are stuck with playing it safe, constantly putting horsepower IN to replace what they are leaving out and rarely getting the mix right on other types of bikes. The geekiness of the Japanese is no replacement for the emotional understanding that the Italians (and even Harley) have for the real soul of what it takes to make a motorcycle more fun than pure numbers. They have different customers lining up to ride them.

It's funny how KTM, Ducati, Aprilia and BMW have made successful sport twins, but the Japanese havent managed to pull it off, other than Suzuki's SV series, which hilariously the TL1000 Superbike was cancelled shortly after the introduction by the top brass to go back to the GSXR platform. I think there Japanoodles fear losing the horsepower race. yep. And of course of cost of production/design and all that comes into the mix. Easier to make money on the proven reciepe.
Last edited by QuietMonkey on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#14 Unread post by HYPERR »

Markg1 wrote:Sorry guys...I really tried but...FAIL. It does nothing for me!!!!! I'm sure it's a blast to ride but...UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST UGLY!!!!! And only 100 HP. REALLY?!?! What are the quarter mile numbers?
The antique relic DS1100 engine is one of the "funnest" motorcyle engines ever. It's just a totally different experience from a 200 HP engine but both delivering immense amounts of fun in a different way.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#15 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

It's pretty hilarious that Markg1 says "only 100hp" while we're looking at this thinking "great". Some people don't know what there missing. They get so used to reading a number and thinking without thinking.

If you dont like the looks, there's not much in it, and maybe the V-Rod has lost 200 lbs since I last checked (NOPE). I'd like to know what someone rides for 30 years to not see the true quality of the Duck engine, cuz even back in 1981 100hp wouldve been rolled into a pig heavy-bike in the very best conditions. This motor is perfect for the application, and ONLY lacking in sheer top-speed numbers. Should be capable of easy 1/4-mile times in high 10s range.

Also I neglected to mention the infamous Honda RC51 as a sweet Japanese v-twin (for racing anyway); not so much the VTR1000 sport-tourer.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#16 Unread post by rayian »

A nice light flickable nekid bike. 373 lb dry weight is about the same as my sv650 and with an extra 30 hp over mine it must move pretty quick.
Great looking bike. Awesome.

rayian
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2007 Suzuki SV650

#17 Unread post by rayian »

QuietMonkey wrote: the TL1000 Superbike was cancelled shortly after the introduction by the top brass to go back to the GSXR platform.
For racing purposes yes but for the street the TL1000 morphed into the SV1000.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#18 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

rayian wrote:
QuietMonkey wrote: the TL1000 Superbike was cancelled shortly after the introduction by the top brass to go back to the GSXR platform.
For racing purposes yes but for the street the TL1000 morphed into the SV1000.
i mentioned the SV right before where you clipped the quote :D -- whereas the reason i mentioned the TL was in regards to Suzuki giving up on it for racing because of they seem to not want to lose the horsepower race. Also the original '96 TL1000S looked much more like a Ducati 900SS (w/half-fairing) and again with the nod to the Monster's styling, the later SV version became wedgy and ugly. Same with the early SV650: nice. Then they went wedgy and ugly. Later on they finally did the tiny headlight fairing and restyled the SV650 all for the best.

note: Nicest thing with this 1100 Evo engine is really the 75+ lb-ft of torque that comes along the way to it making 100hp, and of course the 200lbs it ISNT carrying around compared to a V-Rod.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#19 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Awesome!

This is one hot looking Monster... it's about time they jazzed it up! Great HP on a light weight naked bike... surely it can't get any better?!
Andrea :sun:

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#20 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

I voted: AWESOME as well.

There are so many good things to say about it's design and engine, even the Ducati red color is just really awesome on it's own. Ducati's come-back success really came from it's Monster series design and it outsells every other bike Ducati makes. As mentioned above, I am not sure why the other major motorcycle manufactuers really don't get into V-Twin sport engines, if I had to hazzard a guess, it would be primarily due to the "horsepower wars" they seem to always be fighting with the Inline-4 camp. If they focused on torque or compactness or even lightness the V-Twin might come out ahead, but, cc for cc, I don't think it can really complete with pure HP.

That said, there is much more than just horsepower in making a bike fun, and Ducati seems to be getting the receipe just right here with the Monster 1100 EVO.

Now I'll just have to take one out for a ride if I can fit on it. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.