Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Brough Superior SS100 motorbike set to fetch record £300,000

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

#Brough Superior SS100 #motorbike set to fetch record £300,000 at auction

The Brough Superior SS100 - dubbed 'the Rolls-Royce of the motorcycle world' - has been tipped to fetch a record £300,000 at auction.

The 1928 Brough Superior SS100 was the fastest vehicle on the road when it was made, hitting speeds of 125mph at a time when most cars could only reach the 50mph mark.

Lawrence of Arabia owned seven and died after crashing one in 1935 after he swerved to avoid cyclists.

‘It looks like it is doing 100mph stood still,’ said Ben Walker of Bonhams, which is auctioning the bike – complete with original handlebars and brakes – in Stafford on October 16.

Built for speed: The motorbikes reached 100mph in an era when cars were only able to achieve half that amount (Picture: BNPS).

A 1929 Brough holds the current record, selling for £286,000 last year.

The bikes were manufactured by racer and designer George Brough in Nottingham between 1919 and 1940.

They usually retailed for around £130-£180 in the 1920s and 30s - which meant that they were popular with the wealthy as well as celebrities of the era, including playwright George Bernard Shaw.

However only around one third of the 3,000 or so bikes which were made are still in existence - hence the reason they generally sell for such high prices.
Attachments
1928 Brough Superior SS100
1928-Brough-SuperiorSS100b.png (283.05 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
1928-Brough-SuperiorSS100a.png (283.74 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32

Re: Brough Superior SS100 motorbike set to fetch record £300

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

The 1928 Brough Superior SS100 is a really nice motorcycle model. I saw one in person in London, UK last year at the museum, under glass, it was just outside the toilets!
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

sunshine229
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14

#3 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Yep, we saw one of Lawrence of Arabia's bikes at the "Imperial War Museum" in London. Why they put it just outside the toilets, we'll never know!!!

It will be crazy if the one above actually sells for £300,000...
Andrea :sun:

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Maybe Jay Leno doesnt yet have the right SS100 in his collection...

There is a funny epsiode of the British TV-series, Lovejoy, where they "fix-up" Lawrence of Arabia's Brough Superior for sale to a collector.
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#5 Unread post by ceemes »

:shooting2: :shooting2: :shooting2: :shooting2: :shooting2: BE VERY GLAD THAT I DON'T KNOW WHERE ANY OF YOU LIVE.....COZ I WOULD GLADLY AND CHEERFULLY KILL YOU ALL IN THE MOST INHUMAN, CRUELEST, VILEST MANNER, INDEED IN SUCH A MANNER THAT EVEN THE DEVIL HIMSELF WOULD RECOIL IN SHOCK AND HORROR FOR THAT BIKE!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... :shooting2: :shooting2: :shooting2: :shooting2: :shooting2:
Always ask why.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

ceemes wrote:BE VERY GLAD THAT I DON'T KNOW WHERE ANY OF YOU LIVE.....COZ I WOULD GLADLY AND CHEERFULLY KILL YOU ALL IN THE MOST INHUMAN, CRUELEST, VILEST MANNER, INDEED IN SUCH A MANNER THAT EVEN THE DEVIL HIMSELF WOULD RECOIL IN SHOCK AND HORROR FOR THAT BIKE!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......
Wouldnt it be easier to set-up our own Ocean's Eleven crew (or 13 if you need them) and "visit the toilet" in London to acquire our own SS100?

:sunshine: :bag: :afro: :icecream: :party: :2guns: :cowboy: :ninja: :eek: :naughty: :boxing:

It'd make for another good British "heist" story... :D staring Daniel Craig (BMW-HP2), Jet Li (Kawi Z1000, OK OK he gets a Kawi NINJA ZX10, for cheesy humour intertwined with script), Uma Thurman (KTM990), Jason Statham (Triumph Speed Triple), Jackie Chan (Yamaha R1), Zoe Deschanel (Suzuki Burgman?, no a Gladius), Matt Damon (Aprilia RSv1000 nahhh... Ducati Streetfighter), Pierce Brosnan (Norton 996 Commando) and how about Sylvester (he dies in this one, near the beginning, because of a backfiring H-D V-Rod) Stallone... etc...

Team work!! that means sponsorship from Arai, Alpinestars, Spidi, Motul and Pirelli...
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)