Why a 600cc Sportbike is not a good Beginner Bike

pakole
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Thanks

#31 Unread post by pakole »

Thanks for the informative article while I would like to think that I am wise and just accept advice from my more experienced brethen. I am glad that I had a thought-out answer to why I should not go beyond 500 cc. Now, I can just go and plan to get my first bike with this in mind. Thanks again.
The greatest activity to do is to serve. For no matter who you are and what you do, you have to serve someone. ... Don't you eat to serve yourself?

Kal
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 1998 Kawasaki GPZ500S

#32 Unread post by Kal »

WhyteGryphon wrote:You may not agree with it, but I've seen it happen.
It happened to me a few times near the begining of the summer. I was experimeting a lot with engine braking without feathering the clutch or rev matching. It is a technique that is good for shedding 10mph or so pretty much instantly.

No one had told me that it can cause your back wheel to lock up, I fifgured as long as there is some power going to your rear wheel its all good. I didnt go over, but then I ride a very forgiving small power bike, however the back wheel did "step out" on more than one occasion. I stopped doing it so much aftrer a conversation with Duken when he enlightened me.
Kal...
Relationship Squid...

GPZ500S, CB250N, GB250Clubman

Seetrout
Elite
Elite

#33 Unread post by Seetrout »

Just a repeat of "My first bike story".
This starts June 05.
I wasn't looking for a crotch rocket.
I didn't think I was buying a crotch rocket.
Salesman know squat unless they're selling what they ride.
Mine rode cruisers.
I bought a "detuned" crotch rocket.
I crashed and burned.
Would a smaller/different style bike have made a difference? I don't know. I don't have enough experience to fully put together what went wrong.
When it happens, it happens FAST.
I wasn't hotrodding or showing off.
I was actually taking my time.
I'm now old enough to know I'm not bulletproof. BUT.
It's still too tempting to twist the throttle for some "grin time".
Glad I wasn't 'grinning' when I went down.
I'm not going to give up my bike, Yet, But let me show you my scar and limp.
Power is awesome.
Pain is not!
OK, ok I'll shut up now.

Well here's MY story (always a bad start). Back in June I was on vacation and thinking about a bike (never figured the wife would go for it.). Figured something like a 250 to 400cc twin for a commuter would be nice, but the salesman said if you're going to be on the highway go for something around a 600, and talked me right into it (figured it didn't matter anyway - no way no how was my wife going to let me get a bike). Sad

I was looking at the 1 cyl suzy and a 2 cyl yam, both cruisers, when I noticed this bright yellow Honda leftover marked waaay down (The local shop has a used one they're asking $200 more for than what I paid). Still more than the others, but looked like a good deal. Looked like a lot more bike for the money too. Nice and sporty looking, but not like a crotch rocket. Smile

Stopped by with the wife to show her what I was looking at "just for grins"
and lo and behold she says "Well, go ahead and get it for your birthday tomorrow"!!!!!!????? I really do Love my wife by the way Very Happy Very Happy

So I rounded up a learners permit and put my money down and wheeled out my brand new leftover Honda 599 the next day on my birthday. Idled it around the parking lot in 1st & 2nd a while and headed out. Pulled out into the street and gave it just a little gas to get it moving and said "Holy "crumb", what have I done?" I know there's lot's faster bikes, but this is way too much for a novice. Like me. Shocked

Three weeks later I got my first speeding ticket in 5 years (Don't tell my wife). I avoid cars like they're the plague. 2 weeks after that I aced my MSF course and got my real licence. 4 weeks after that on my way to work I found some of that cool blacktop that gets all pushed up in the middle of the lane by the 18 wheelers and took the high side at 65mph. Crying or Very sad

You can say what you want, but I say ABATE is stoopid. Mad I can remember sliding down the highway, feeling my helmet bouncing along and thinking "THANK GOD I"M WEARING A HELMET!!!" Broke my kneecap in half and had to have it screwed back together. Crying or Very sad

So now $21,000 in doctors bills, $4,500 in repairs to the bike and I can still walk and I've taken it out for a couple small rides around the block, weather permitting. The cold makes my knee hurt like hell.
Familiarity breeds contempt.

2004 Honda 599

CM400ERider
Rookie
Rookie

huh sport bikes

#34 Unread post by CM400ERider »

I never really liked sport bikes started riding at 8 before they were around and as I got into bigger bikes you know 350 to 400 CC actually pretty big bikes in the 60s then the sport bikes came out and I saw a lot of daddys little boys learn to eat pavement on 600 -900 cc machines I have ridden for almost 40 years now and I got on my first Sport bike last year I cant say going 140 mph in less then a half mile wasnt fun but that bike was only 600 cc and old these bikes are very fast and very dangerious in young and inexperenced hands Heck their very fast and very dangerious in old and experenced hands.:shock: I think I'll stick with my old reliable sit up straight and ride forever bikes. oh yeah I read the whole artical and thought it was very informative. Thanks for the post. I will insure my grand nephew reads it as he wants one of thoughs big fast bikes when he is allowed to start on the street but knows that he will probally get stuck with either the 400 or 550 in the garage. :frusty:
ride free and always remember Drive like Hell you'll get there!

xnorwaks
Rookie
Rookie

#35 Unread post by xnorwaks »

Well Written article :) Its convinced me to not F*ck around when it comes to starting off

mrchen
Rookie
Rookie

#36 Unread post by mrchen »

I've got a little old Bandit 600S model with just a few mods (pipe, timing advancer, jetting etc.) it probably has 90 hp. The new 2006 600's (GSXR, CBR, R6, 636 KAWI) all have from 101 to 109hp. My engine is Suzuki Katana based.

I would say one ride on the back of this bike would make any beginer change his mind, the acceleration after 7,000 rpm and onto 11,500 is just amazing, mid 11 second quarters are not for learning. The GS500, Buell Blast, Ninja 250 and 500 are fine bikes. I began riding at a very young age with light motorcycles, it is nice to learn on a light bike and then jump on a heavier machine than to try to learn cornering on a heavier bike from the start, you will progress faster in your skills riding the light bike.

This was an excellent thread and I enjoyed reading it.
2001 GSF600S Bandit, 1991 CB750 Nighthawk, 2003 TRX650FA Rincon 4wd ATV, 1994 Corvette Convertible, Dodge Hemi Ram 1500.

freebird73
Regular
Regular
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha yzf 600r

Re: Why a 600cc Sportbike is not a good Beginner Bike

#37 Unread post by freebird73 »

I didn't read any material or forums before I bought my first bike, it's a yzf600r. I made the mistake of riding and falling in love with it before I did my research. I do not by any means think that I am the exception to the rule. The bike is very, very responsive to any whim, and has scared me half to death several times. I power through and take the lesson for what it is every time.
I have dropped it 3 times standing in my driveway and recently I actually dumped it when a car turned suddenly in front of me and i mashed the brakes, I was in full gear so i only ended up with some scratches, bruises as well as a bruised ego.(ive put 6000 miles on it so in my mind i FELT like I was an experienced rider)
I have to admit, I have been wondering if I woulda started on a smaller, lighter bike would the end result have been the same? I do know that i have a LOT of learning to do and I am as far from being experienced now than i was 7 mnths ago when iI started, and I have a renewed respect for the machine and skill it takes to handle it.
Not to sound stubborn or argumentative to all the seasoned riders here, but i wouldn't trade my bike for anything I still LOVE it, but if I had it to do over again I think I would have started with a smaller recommended model.

grendel
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#38 Unread post by grendel »

^ Jessica, it's a good thing you didn't get seriously hurt. I believe that new riders should start on smaller bikes, but I also realize that advice never fits all cases - some folks are able to respect a more powerful bike, while others should stick to 70cc or less, regardless of their tenure LOL. Just glad you didn't learn THAT hard a lesson (if ya know what I mean). :)

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#39 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Can you win a poker game with a pair of 2s? Absolutely! It's just preferable to play on better odds.

As to respect, it's not a matter of your appreciation so much as your proprioception - it needs time to develop.

Having trained thousands of riders at this point, I can anecdotally say that the ones that start on smaller bikes and take follow on training end up being the best riders in the pack. It's fun to see a rider on a 250 or 500 walk away from a guy on an S1000RR or ZX10.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#40 Unread post by sapaul »

Got to agree with Story's here, it's so much easier to mentally dominate a smaller bike and learn skills within your ability. practice will make perfect (or near enough)
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R