Marvin
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2009 Yamaha TMAX, 2005 Yamaha FZ6

1600 mile oil change?

#1 Unread post by Marvin »

Many people say always change the motor oil once a year, but I changed in the beginning of the spring last year and I only put 1600 miles since then, I understand the moisture is in the oil from the bike sitting in the cold all winter,,, but after one ride when the engine gets to its normal operation temperature that moisture will burn off.
Should I change the oil anyhow after only 1600 miles since the last oil change, or leave last years oil in it and wait till a good 2500-3000 miles?
There are some guys that say changing the oil too many times can do more harm by staving the engine with no oil right after you change it before the oil filter fills up and you have normal oil pressure, and with the newer synthetic oils the oil is much improved that can last longer in the engine,,,,, but nobody makes a glass covered oil filter so you can't look thru it to see if its clogged with dirt and the bypass valve is open (later I will give everybody a lesson on the reason for bypass valves on oil filters and how they work),,, so here is what I have planned, i am going to replace JUST the oil filter, but NOT the oil, then add in just enough of new oil to make up for what I lost changing just the oil filter.
ohhh? you want to know what brand of oil filter I am using? Its the Wal Mart Super Tech #ST7317,,,, I know, I know everybody is laughing at me cause I am using a cheap $3.99 Wal Mart filter,,, but I did some serious research and its a filter made by Champion and its the same exact filter as a Mobil 1, I compaired it side by side with the Mobil 1 and its the same filter, even the same silkscreen numbers and print and even the same stampings on the base plate and if you would remove the decals you couldnt tell
2009 Yamaha TMAX
2008 Suzuki King Quad 750AXI
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 DC Trd Sport, 6 sp manual

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: 1600 mile oil change?

#2 Unread post by Wrider »

I'm responding for anyone else reading this...
Change the oil. If you've only put on 1600 miles in over a year of riding, chances are very good that every time you start up the bike, it's got no oil in it's top end anyway, so it's having to relubricate the whole top end just like if you had changed the oil recently.

That said, 1600 miles since last year? I've broken that since the end of January. In cold CO. Please, sell your beloved t-minimum so that someone else can ride it like it's supposed to be ridden... Often and without a douche on board.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the whole Wal-mart filter thing has been known for a while. They do use a different filtering element, so it's not quite as good, but it'll work for anything short of a pretty highly modified engine.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#3 Unread post by ceemes »

Wrider wrote: Please, sell your beloved t-minimum so that someone else can ride it like it's supposed to be ridden... Often and without a douche on board.
Image :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

But I do have to concur. :laughing:
Always ask why.

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

#4 Unread post by dirt dobber »

i had a 09 tmax, worked out i had it serviced about 2,500 miles. got a harley now, can go 5,000 miles.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#5 Unread post by pchast »

Not the point.

Even if you do less then that 5000 miles I understand that the oil needs to be
changed each year.

I do mine before each year's layup some have told me to do it after the winter.
I'd love to get a consensus, which season is a better time to do it?
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

Spring
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Marvin
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Marvin »

harley can go 5000 miles?
2009 Yamaha TMAX

Marvin
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Marvin »

my Tmax is like gold, it went up in value, in 2010 i paid $5400, now its worth $6200 used,,, I am the most popular person when I pull my Tmax into the local gas station, strangers from everywhere walk up and adore my Tmax asking me all sorts of questions, how fast does it go? what gas mileage does it get? how much did you pay for it? and they all say they want one, or they are going to buy one!

YOUR bike N-E-V-E-R gets that much attention!
2009 Yamaha TMAX

Marvin
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Marvin »

by the way::: ask any Suzuki Burgman, or Honda Silver Wing rider whats the BEST maxi scooter, or whats his DREAM maxi scooter he wants?
He will always say he wants the Yamaha Tmax!
You can't buy a new 2012 Tmax in the U.S., and there are no more 09-11 leftovers and sooooo many people want one they are paying much more for used ones than what they were new.
The BMW maxi is coming out this fall, that is close as being as good as the Tmax, but it comes with a $12,000 price tag
The 2013 Tmax is coming next year as a 530 with increased performance and a final belt drive..

you know?? its really fun to own the best and the one that everybody else wants
2009 Yamaha TMAX

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#10 Unread post by Wrider »

1600 miles in over a year and you're making all of these claims???

I checked my odometer tonight. I bought my 05 Z750S from a friend on Jan 20. I've put 1700 miles on it since.

As for your claims of it going up in value... Hard facts time...
KBB lists your 09 T-Minimum for $5315 in excellent condition from a dealer. That's assuming there are no problems with it at all, no scratches, no tears, tires are new or near new, etc.
The MSRP on the T-Minimum was $7999. An average dealer makes right around 500 dollars per new unit sale on a vehicle at MSRP. Suppose you did manage to talk said dealer down as much as you could, heck I know our local Subaru dealer sells for below invoice in order to make it up on service/parts/etc., so say you got it down to 500 under invoice, that STILL leaves you short on what you said you paid. So either you're straight up lying, or you were VERY mis-directed by some tricky financing.

Either way value has gone down, you can't claim anything about a vehicle you've put that few miles on in that period of time, and whenever you post a video proving that you have people all over your scooter at the local gas station with the women swooning over your "Mel Gibson looks", you now have no rock to stand on.

From here on out, the only response to any post of yours will be to correct the misinformation present in every single one of your posts.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha