totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: New Bike Day - Nov 6, 2012

#11 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

VermilionX wrote:i just noticed. it is a really cool bike but why does it have those old looking rubber thingies on the front suspension?

i thought those things are relics of past already. even modern dirtbikes don't have those anymore right?

not trying to rain on the parade, just curious why is still has it.
Great question! They are called "Fork Gaiters" and are "Used to restore the classic retro look of vintage British and European motorcycles." ; they are actually a practical application here rather than a purely visual one* as it's a substitue for the little plastic front fork "rock guards" you usally see. Triumph, Harley-Davidson and many others are using the Fork Gaiters for that retro look. I'll let you know how they work out as time goes on as I've never had a bike with them before myself.

* Although it does add to the mean all-blacked out look of the bike.

Harley-Davidson XL883 with Fork Gaiters

Triumph Bonneville T100 with Fork Gaiters

Modern Rock Guards
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

#12 Unread post by VermilionX »

thanks for the info mike. ^_^

*** i still wouldn't want them if i get a retro looking cafe racer ***

like this one.

Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

#13 Unread post by BobK »

Gaiters are for the old-fashioned elegant look:

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

#14 Unread post by Hanson »

Mike,

Your Moto Guzzi looks just awesome and congratulations! I have visited the Moto Guzzi site numerous times since you recommended the V7 Stone and it is nice to see that you believe in your own recommendations. Respect! I especially liked both the V7 Special and V7 Classic with the wire wheels. The idea of a classic looking Italian bike with modern EFI and maintenance is very appealing. I hope your new baby lives up to your greatest expectations. Happy day!
ImageImage

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#15 Unread post by Wrider »

Congrats and happy bike day!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hanson wrote:Mike,

Your Moto Guzzi looks just awesome and congratulations! I have visited the Moto Guzzi site numerous times since you recommended the V7 Stone and it is nice to see that you believe in your own recommendations. Respect! I especially liked both the V7 Special and V7 Classic with the wire wheels. The idea of a classic looking Italian bike with modern EFI and maintenance is very appealing. I hope your new baby lives up to your greatest expectations. Happy day!
Thank you. :D Yes, I always stand by my recommendations as I wouldn't want to recommend anything I wouldn't buy or get myself. The V7 Special and Classic are even more elequant bikes in their looks, same engine, just the different paint job and the wheels. I'll tell you, you definately stand out on a Moto Guzzi. Not many people have them and they are quite unique with the engine style and styling.

So far, I'm very pleased with the bike. Speaking of which, i need to start a blog for it. :D

VermilionX wrote:thanks for the info mike. ^_^ *** i still wouldn't want them if i get a retro looking cafe racer ***
Glad to help out! For me, it didn't matter if the bike had or did not have them, it just did and that's ok with me. :D The cafe racer in fact, can be anything you want it to be, it's mostly the "stipped down look". If you like cafe racer, see the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer. Absolutely beuatiful and if I was in the market for a Cafe Racer, there would be no other options.

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#17 Unread post by HYPERR »

VermilionX wrote:thanks for the info mike. ^_^

*** i still wouldn't want them if i get a retro looking cafe racer ***

like this one.

This one has upsidedown forks so obviously it would not look right with gaiters.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

sapaul
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 90
My Motorcycle: 2011 R1200R 07 BMW GS, Kymco 250 little

#18 Unread post by sapaul »

Saw the Guzzi cafe racer at one of our local shows, very impressed with the look, and what they did with the shaft.
I spent my therapy money an a K1200S
The therapy worked, I got a GS now
A touch of insanity crept back in the shape of an R1200R

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

sapaul wrote:Saw the Guzzi cafe racer at one of our local shows, very impressed with the look, and what they did with the shaft.
I haven't seen a Cafe Racer yet in person as they are rare here in the USA, but the V7 Racer is a pure art piece and if the Cafe Racer is anything like they are doing the V7 line up in, wow.

I'm also quite impressed with the shaft drive, you don't see many standard bikes today with a shaft drive and it's so good of a option to have, even if it takes away 1-2% of HP vs a chain.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#20 Unread post by dr_bar »

BobK wrote:Gaiters are for the old-fashioned elegant look:

Hmmm. me thinks those are called Spatz
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.